antiX plus desktop-environment.

Forum Forums antiX-development Development antiX plus desktop-environment.

• This topic has 96 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated Jul 13-12:05 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 6 posts - 91 through 96 (of 96 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    rokytnjirokytnji

Yeah. Before we came up with snapshot. I keep a private text file that reminds me on the steps on how to zip up a install and unzip it to hard drive using a live session run.

Have not used it in ages though. I kept it private because I did not wanna deal with clue less usage and being buggered about why it does not work out for them.

We have snap shot now so my text file is kinda moot. Besides. It/snapshot is a lot more elegant. For future questions.
    link

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    I'm not outa place. I'm from outer space.

Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Brian MasinickBrian Masinick

Another interesting point of history.

I used to create tar (archives) to save files and entire directories to use both as back up mechanisms and to easily copy between distros.

These days I do copy information between partitions on various distros on the same system and I use network based copies of files, sometimes in free Email directories and sometimes in cloud storage. Recently I have also been using my own snapshot to provide easily copied USB removable storage.

I had many scripts for doing some of this in the distant past. Perhaps a few of them would be helpful but now we have many other easy ways to get it done as you’ve noted, plus other activities make minimal time available for scripting projects for me too.

Brian Masinick

No problem here, anticapitalista. There is no great demand right now for a DE version, so no worries.
    I am sure that most of us who enjoy antiX would still choose the current WMs in antiX as our daily driver, or can easily install a DE using the package installer.

Thanks for all your hard work.

I concur. I like antiX the way it is. And if I want to play with a DE on antiX i’ll just add it, or start with a spin from another user.

Thanks for antiX just the way it is!

Seaken64

Forum Admin
    rokytnjirokytnji

Yeah. Before we had such a full featured antix control center. Like we do now.

https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=43355

Version I built mine on was

https://forum.lxde.org/viewtopic.php?t=31202

That install was easy to blow away as I was underwhelmed with using LXDE. I liked Icewm better.
    I was logging in with xdm instead of slim also.
    Back then. Slim gave me problems logging into lxde.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    I'm not outa place. I'm from outer space.

Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

No problem here, anticapitalista. There is no great demand right now for a DE version, so no worries.
    I am sure that most of us who enjoy antiX would still choose the current WMs in antiX as our daily driver, or can easily install a DE using the package installer.

Thanks for all your hard work.

Although my opinion is not important comparing to others I just want to concur with the above from Xecure, as a support from a typical user.
    Having a well configured composition of antiX components and visually presentable IceWM the existing antiX can be made a nice system without additional overhead of DEs.
    However having said this I admit I have been playing with various DE versions of antiX, starting with what can be implemented from antiX Package Installer, trying to make them work and measuring for memory used and memory leaks. From my observation these DE implementations on top of antiX do need work. So it might not be as simple as stating they can be installed this way if someone requires a DE:
    – XFCE seems to be relatively smooth conversion comparing to others and seems to use the least memory but there seems not much incremental enhancement over current IceWM antiX, except Thunar FM. Considering that integration provided in antiX through Control Center I am curious what would be the point then…
    – MATE seems problematic from various comments and possible memory leaks. Besides, apart from a different face, what would be the real advantage – just curious, considering Control Center already provides integration.
    – Gnome and KDE – significant memory requirements comparing to lightweight and more work necessary to be working well.
    – Budgie on top of antiX appears to be relatively good on memory (somewhat more than XFCE however) and through my testing I did not detect any memory leaks. Behaves very well in that respect. Apart from minor things not working well the only significant issue I experienced was that Network Manager does not seem to play well with existing Connman, of course. If Connman is taken out then connection to WiFi seems to work from Network Manager on existing machine but becomes erratic after move to another machine, pointing to authority to manage network connections and policykit settings.

The above is just an illustration that installing a different DE from Package Installer (if such desired) appears to need more work to be viable alternative for non-technical user.
    Just my two cents…

• This reply was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by olsztyn.
    Brian MasinickBrian Masinick

@olsztyn:
    I agree with your comments above. Though I am not opposed to seeing additional desktop environments (or other environments), such as different devices supported), I neither promote nor expect any of this to be performed by our current antiX development team, primarily because we have a very small team and anticapitalista himself has indicated that since the discussion began, his own available time has changed (with decreased availability to work on distributions), so as I’ve also commented before, if any DE work takes place, it’s going to have to be either respins that are shared (not too difficult for some of us, except for the potential of questions and help needed to “support” them).

My personal suggestions are to
    1) Consider sharing “respins”, clearly noting that they are nothing more than a community member contribution with no guaranteed support.
    2) If someone is young and energetic, spin off a derivative distribution of their own; then they can do whatever they want (as long as they properly cite and credit any software taken from any antiX, MX, Linux, or any other project requiring proper credit to the original authors).

Brian Masinick

Viewing 6 posts - 91 through 96 (of 96 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.