antiX preinstalled “virtualbox guest additions”

Forum Forums antiX-development Documentation antiX preinstalled “virtualbox guest additions”

• This topic has 7 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated May 10-11:40 pm by Dave.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    skidoo

(several points of potential confusion exist, and the antiX FAQ does not address them)

overheard, in a May 2021 antixforum topic:

Q.
    I am running antiX 17.4.1 [..] on a thumb drive live with persistence [and] on a Mint Box. In Synaptic Manager both throw the same code error as users experienced recently in Antix 19. On the Mint Box I tried the solution that Anticapitalista issued. I am now warned that I may do harm to my system if I download the packages involved in the upgrade but can now install them. They are virtual box packages and I don’t have virtual box installed!

-=-

A. (one among several replies)

You can remove [the virtualbox guest additions] packages.

On one hand, because virtualbox (host+guest) installation/setup is a PITA, preinstallation is a great curation detail. On the other hand, for longterm-supported distro releases, preinstallation of virtualbox guest additions eventually leads to questions/problems.

Not specific to antiX (nor to Mint)
    problems can do arise when the host O/S and the guest O/S have differing versions of virtualbox components installed. Virtualbox releases have, repeatedly, proven to be NOT entirely backward-compatible.

Followup posts in this topic can cover further details/gotchas related to VBox guest additions. In this post I just want to point out that “can remove” is an understatement ~~ “must update (er remove, then reinstall)” is probably necessary when using a dated O/S as a host, or as a guest, O/S.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up
    :D

It is likely that future editions of antiX will not include virtualbox guest additions packages.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

tip:
    If a “shared folder” exists on host,
    and has been selected via the VM “machine settings”,
    yet remains inaccessible from inside the guest O/S…

While the VM instance is not currently running, visit the VM “machine settings } Display” UI and choose the “VBoxSVGA” graphics driver. (easier than trawling the web searching for VMSVGA commandline configuration fix0r help)

skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

tip:
    If you have enabled shared clipboard via VM “machine settings } General } Advanced”, but the shared clipboard feature “is not working”…

within the guest, you must
    sudo VBoxClient --clipboard
    ^— may be desirable to add into the desktop-session startup file for your user on the guest O/S

skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

It is likely that future editions of antiX will not include virtualbox guest additions packages.

Yeah, sigh…
    I’m already resigned to the fact that nowadays “lean-n-mean” has, to some degree, become just a marketingspeak talking point

antiX 19.x Full edition

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

I have already decided that 19.4 series (as well as antiX-21) will not ship with virtualbox guest additions packages.
    I can now get antiX-19.4 base to fit on a cd (replacing firefox-esr with seamonkey and removing any apps that require libqt5webkit5 ie smtube plus others)

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

@skidoo – the much smaller papirus-mini-antix replaced papirus-antix in 19.2/19.3 and we also have a much smaller adwaita icons package (since 19.2 IIRC)

Forum Admin
    Dave
    Helpful
    Up

I had a problem with the vbox guest additions package on MX. I brought this up on the MX forum as well as a reply on the forum.
    Some of the repo mirrors have the newer versions of Vbox but not the guest additions / dkms packages (**.16 vs **.18). Switching mirrors fixed the issue for me but not the mirrors. I have a list that I tried on my other computer, last I checked (a few days ago) most repos in the list still had the older version.

Not certain if this is the same problem or not.

Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening Windows. ~Author Unknown

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.