Antix release names are fascinating

Forum Forums Kafeneio Chats In a Greek kafeneio Antix release names are fascinating

• This topic has 13 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated Dec 14-7:35 pm by VW.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    nuggetnugget

Being new to Antix Linux, and loving it. I thought a good place to start understanding it better
    would be to look at its history. Then I noticed that quite a few of the release names are people
    from history. I had intended to read about each release name but, going through the list, one name,
    Tȟašúŋke Witkó, really stood out for me. Now, being British, I had never seen this name before
    but when I read that it was the name of a Lakota war leader, Crazy Horse, then I knew I had heard
    at least something of him, if only because of some hollywood films. At least I had heard of the name.
    I started reading the wikipedia article about him and, my word, what a fascinating story his life is.
    Forgive me but, because I am not from the USA, I might not be using the right words to describe the culture,
    and I dont want to offend anyone. I knew the indigenous people of America were spiritual people but wow,
    even an article in wikipedia made me realise how fascinating and deep that spirituality goes.
    I havent got to the other people in the list yet because I find Tȟašúŋke Witkó so interesting that
    I just want to research more about him.
    Now, call me odd, but Antix linux has opened my eyes in a way I never expected. The names given to your
    distro releases are very educational if people bother to read up on them.
    Long may that tradition live on

---------------------
    Wittgenstein (Tractatus Logico Philosophicus): Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalistaanticapitalista

….
    Now, call me odd, but Antix linux has opened my eyes in a way I never expected. The names given to your
    distro releases are very educational if people bother to read up on them.
    Long may that tradition live on

Seems like you get what we have been tying to do with our release names.
    And yes, that tradition is integral to antiX.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

nuggetnugget

Seems like you get what we have been tying to do with our release names.
    And yes, that tradition is integral to antiX.

Yes, I read about Marielle Franco too and that story made me realise that this distro does, indeed,
    have this philosophy behind it, this … it’s hard to say … but this reason for being, for existing and
    it has something to do with the truth and with honesty and bravery

---------------------
    Wittgenstein (Tractatus Logico Philosophicus): Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent.

VWVW

A photo of the named person as wallpaper might be a good idea.

• This reply was modified 8 months ago by VW.
    • This reply was modified 8 months ago by VW.

“These are the times that try men's souls" - Thomas Paine

nuggetnugget

Unfortunately there are those who come here and simply quibble about where to put the capital in antiX, while others, such as Marielle Franco, died for what they believed in. But we mustn’t get annoyed with the clueless, must we?

I saw that thread, I think, or one like it. I must admit I found it funny. I thought someone may have started it for a joke.

---------------------

Lakota war leader, Crazy Horse, then I knew I had heard
    at least something of him, if only because of some hollywood films.

By the way a huge monument of Crazy Horse is being carved out of mountain by some Polish American family for some time already.
    When completed (who knows when, huge undertaking) it will be the second tallest statue in the world. Crazy Horse Memorial…

nuggetnugget

By the way a huge monument of Crazy Horse is being carved out of mountain by some Polish American family for some time already.
    When completed (who knows when, huge undertaking) it will be the second tallest statue in the world. Crazy Horse Memorial…

I read that in the wikipedia article but, until you said it, the fact never quite “sunk in”. The worlds second lagest statue wow, you see I
    am new to Antix Linux but I am even newer to Tȟašúŋke Witkó (I prefer using that name rather than crazy horse, out of respect). To think, a man who
    I had only ever vaguely heard of is so respected in the world. Makes me wonder why I had never read, or heard of, his real story sooner.
    This gives me hope too, because it shows me that when the world respects such a man, it might be going in the right direction

---------------------

nuggetnugget

A photo of the named person as wallpaper might be a good idea.

Somehow I missed this comment yesterday but thats a great idea.
    Especially if maybe stylised in some way. The only problem I can see is that some
    of the people have been very mistreated by powerful entities and how can you ever make
    mistreatment look cool, you cant. Yet a linux distro has to have “kerb appeal”
    you know, it has to look good from the kerb or people wont go in the house to see if they will buy it

---------------------

VWVW

Somehow I missed this comment yesterday

No you didn’t! Sorry, but I deleted my original remark which was due to the results of our general election; I just don’t get why anybody would vote Tory when they are screwing up the NHS and allowing homeless people to live in tents on the streets of our cities just because if they build enough houses it would bring the cost of houses down. Exactly the kind of thing Marielle Franco would have stood up against.

Sorry for causing you any confusion.

Etymology From Irish tóraí (“pursuer”), from tóir (“pursuit”).

And I might be just a little Irish dontchaknow 🙂

And we all know that when the Yanks says “Jump!” Boris Johnson says “How high, Sir?”

allowing homeless people to live in tents on the streets of our cities

This is exactly what we have in California, Washington and some other states governed by democrats… Thousands of homeless living on the streets with no access to facilities. Rampant crime and drugs not publicized. Shameful failure of liberal democratic system promoting only political corruption and self interest…

• This reply was modified 8 months ago by olsztyn.
    VWVW

olsztyn wrote:

This is exactly what we have in California,

I heard about that.

fungalnetfungalnet

while in other states you don’t see many homeless, they are too scared to stay and move to liberal states.

while in other states you don’t see many homeless, they are too scared to stay and move to liberal states.

The only meaning of the attribute ‘liberal’ for such states is that many people have been forced to live ‘liberally’ on the street, as cost of housing skyrocketed and many people cannot afford a roof over their head. Liberal democratic politicians in control of those states do not care about people, just their own corrupt political career. They just want your votes so they stay in power. Over here Democratic party represents only interests of large corporations, enjoying their financial support, not people as used to be some time in the past…

VWVW

Liberal democratic politicians in control of those states do not care about people, just their own corrupt political career. They just want your votes so they stay in power.

While people like Marielle Franco end up dead (and for some reason often get an airport named after them).

And what does any professional politician know about being “working class” when they have never had to work a single day in their lives? They just haven’t got a clue about the real world. Like George Galloway says, they think Swarfega is a Balearic island

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.