antiX s6-rc Service Manager – For Testers Only

Forum Forums antiX-development Development antiX s6-rc Service Manager – For Testers Only

• This topic has 45 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated Mar 12-11:05 pm by calciumsodium.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Brian Masinick

Here are a couple of the process entries that show some of the remaining log file entries for s6-66:

root 1082 0.0 0.0 2720 1280 ? Ss 13:26 0:00 /usr/bin/s6-log -d3 n3 s1000000 /var/log/66/seatd
      root 1087 0.0 0.0 2720 1280 ? Ss 13:26 0:00 /usr/bin/s6-log -d3 n3 s1000000 /var/log/66/dbus
      root 1088 0.0 0.0 2720 1280 ? Ss 13:26 0:00 /usr/bin/s6-log -d3 n3 s1000000 /var/log/66/slimski
      root 1089 0.0 0.0 2588 1280 ? Ss 13:26 0:00 /usr/bin/s6-log -d3 n3 s1000000 /var/log/66/nmbd
      root 1090 0.0 0.0 2720 1280 ? Ss 13:26 0:00 /usr/bin/s6-log -d3 n3 s1000000 /var/log/66/connmand
      root 1091 0.0 0.0 2588 1152 ? Ss 13:26 0:00 /usr/bin/s6-log -d3 n3 s1000000 /var/log/66/smbd
      root 1093 0.0 0.0 2720 1280 ? Ss 13:26 0:00 /usr/bin/s6-log -d3 n3 s1000000 /var/log/66/bluetoothd

--
      Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

I cut down the number of active TTYs, and removed a few of the optional log file entries; these
        two small changes seems to speed up at least the tactile feel of s6-66; it’s working pretty well
        for me at this point.

Also, regardless of which audio and video infrastructures are in place,
        I just checked out and I can use my headset, and I have three ways to use this particular
        headset – Bluetooth, serial (small round connector) or USB to micro USB 3 connector; I usually
        use the round connector or Bluetooth with this and the USB to charge the headset, which usually
        offers “at least” a couple of hours of use without having to charge it.

YouTube passes the test, even with Firefox Nightly on init-diversity s6-66; so that is another
        positive check off in the capabilities of this nicely done diversity edition, reinstalled
        with the 0214 version; looking very promising; only these steps are needed to make sure
        everything works in the latest image:

“– If you plan to install, it is important to boot into the “default” boot entry prior to installing. The installer has unpredicted behaviour breaking a few things (reboot, poweroff) if you install using the non default init entries.
        – To enable the multi-init grub menu after first install from iso just run
        sudo dpkg-reconfigure grub-multi-init-enabler

Username = antix
        Password for user and root = antix”

--
        Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

The S6 service manager is working fine; so are the different init alternatives.

On my “regular” antiX instances I use runit on most of them, though I do have a Flash Drive with the std sysVinit variation and I believe I still have a sysVinit based installation on my Dell Inspiron 5558.

Since I’ve had years of experience with both of our init alternatives, I have booted into them after installing init-diversity each of the 3-4 times I’ve installed on my various systems, but as far as rigorous testing, I’ve devoted a LOT more time to the two S6 varieties, ESPECIALLY 66, because I see the greatest long term potential for what this will hopefully become as it further matures.

Just since the build one, the 02-08 build, then the 02-14 build, I’ve seen improvements; not sure if they are just the packaging or if there have been other significant improvements, but the bottom line for me is that, coupled with the service manager, where I’ve been able to disable several things until I actually NEED them for something, and based on my use cases so far, I doubt if I’ll need them much at all, so unless I encounter issues and need them enabled in order to track, diagnose, and identify an issue, I’m keeping them turned off; I certainly do NOT need six terminal entries enabled; I’ve cut them down both on my regular antiX installs and on init-diversity, and I’ve removed all optional logs until needed. The results have been excellent! My observed performance and the “feel” of the environment has improved slightly, and the day to day feel and operation are pretty much indistinguishable from other alternatives, which is precisely what we want! Hurrah!

I just downloaded a 2.9 GB download; that’s a great I/O load test for this environment; no problem, no stability or performance issue, again, that is what we want and expect, so all is really looking GOOD!

--
          Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

uptime
            20:14:25 up 6:48, 1 user, load average: 0.06, 0.08, 0.09

--
            Brian Masinick

ProwlerGr

ESPECIALLY 66, because I see the greatest long term potential for what this will hopefully become as it further matures.

I think I agree with you there, @Eric ‘s work is amazing. Looking forward to the 66 service manager’s webui gui (mentioned here).

Just since the build one, the 02-08 build, then the 02-14 build, I’ve seen improvements; not sure if they are just the packaging or if there have been other significant improvements,

With the 02-14 build I had the s6-rc service manager available which gave the option to organise the services much more effectively & easily.
              There was was also a small bug in 66 (MODULE_KERNEL option) that was preventing 66 to fully boot from live media, and might have also be causing other type of instability.

Brian Masinick

@ProwlerGr Since I multi-boot my systems, while minor adjustments are needed, as we have discussed, the overall operation is still pretty good; probably not quite ready for the general population, but as you have been saying yourself, if we start testing this stuff now, by the time the next number (24) is released, things will be looking a lot better. As I’ve said, in TWO WEEKS, we’ve made GREAT progress, so for me, it’s already quite usable. A couple of days ago I was wondering if there was an issue that was affecting the inxi/pinxi information report; yesterday I confirmed it was the server providing the service that wasn’t providing access to the tool’s update (-U) option; that has been resolved and it had nothing at all to do with either the service manager or s6 or 66, so I was relieved and pleased.

Looking forward to more good stuff.

--
                Brian Masinick

ProwlerGr

Right now the biggest annoyance for me is with the iso snapshot/live installer.
                  I do have a perfect operating installation (reboot & poweroff working perfectly for each init), but as soon as I create an iso snapshot something breaks in that live image.

If this gets resolved (plus the frugal installation issue mentioned earlier), I don’t really see a reason why this won’t make it into an official release.

Brian Masinick

I agree with you. Right now, we have a few minor issues, mostly in a few scripts for some additional tools that are being included in the 23.1 release, plus a few incorrect localization items. Once that is complete, our incremental release will be done, and then work can proceed for the next major release; I’d say that with what we’re doing, in that sense we’re already “in progress” on that major release, but I don’t anticipate seeing it before the warm weather in the Northern Hemisphere; it’s mild where I am during the day, but there’s no mistaking this for Spring or Summer; by Upstate South Carolina standards, it’s definitely still Winter here!

Anyway, no hurry; we release when we’re truly ready, not according to some arbitrary schedule.

--
                    Brian Masinick

olsztyn

Right now the biggest annoyance for me is with the iso snapshot/live installer.
                      I do have a perfect operating installation (reboot & poweroff working perfectly for each init), but as soon as I create an iso snapshot something breaks in that live image.

I think @BitJam and @anticapitalista know better what is causing this problem, but it looks to me that some details are not being captured in the squashfs creating process when running ISO Snapshot.
                      In theory, in my understanding, ISO Snapshot should be able to capture the running system as is, but apparently something is missed, so the resulting linuxfs file appears to not exactly reflect the original system.
                      I may be wrong on this and I am curious how it will be corrected…

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
                      http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

Forum Admin
                      anticapitalista

There was was also a small bug in 66 (MODULE_KERNEL option) that was preventing 66 to fully boot from live media, and might have also be causing other type of instability.

@ProwlerGR – what dd you fix exactly?
                        Thanks

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

ProwlerGr

@ProwlerGR – what dd you fix exactly?
                          Thanks

sudo 66 configure -e nano boot@system

MODULE_KERNEL=!no # instead of MODULE_KERNEL=!yes

sudo 66 reconfigure boot@system

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by ProwlerGr. Reason: typo
                          ProwlerGr

The s6-rc service manager got a minor but rather important update today.

* It will exit with a clear prompt if launched within s6-66 (as it does not manage 66 trees & services)
                            * I have added clear prompts for reasons the script will exit (eg not running as root, or s6-svscan not running as PID 1).

@anticapitalista
                            I have also updated the runit-service-manager to provide the same exit prompts, very important in a multi-init system & also useful in runit standalone.
                            You might want to merge my changes in your main sources.

To install the updates using an ‘init-diversity’ installation just run
                            sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade s6-rc-service-manager runit-service-manager

Screenshot below shows alerts when trying to run the runit-service-manager & the s6-rc-service-manager while booted in s6-66.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by ProwlerGr. Reason: Slight tweak to dialog header
                            Brian Masinick

re.: “It will exit with a clear prompt if launched within s6-66 (as it does not manage 66 trees & services)”

Is there a 66 service manager available in the diversity builds or in the 66 sources?

--
                              Brian Masinick

ProwlerGr

Is there a 66 service manager available in the diversity builds or in the 66 sources?

No GUI as such. It’s in @eric ‘s to do list (as he mentioned) when he gets around to it.

Brian Masinick

That will really be useful when it is available. 66 is quite impressive now; when it has a complete set of packaging and services, it looks to me like the most promising init service to meet the middle of the current decade.

--
                                  Brian Masinick

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.