antiX SAMBA manager to translate

Forum Forums antiX-development Translations antiX SAMBA manager to translate

• This topic has 9 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated Mar 2-10:45 pm by marcelocripe.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Robin

Dear fellow translators,

antiX Samba manager needs translation.

282 well documented strings to translate at transifex.

Please test your translations on runtime. The manager is included in antiX 23.1, so no manual install from gitlab needed. You can access it from within antiX control centre, section Shares.

Happy translating.

Robin

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

PPC

Dear Robin, I’m already almost half way in the pt localization. I found a typo on string 62:

Klick this to use the default folder $target_d, which will be created if not present.

Robin

Many thanks @PPC !

Took some more seconds to realise there is an error at all, even when looking at your highlighted starting letter K… 🙂 That’s what happens easily when writing scripts in a foreign language. (Klick is the proper German spelling of the same word.)

Will be fixed soon.

PPC

Dear all: pt localization finished (with zeh’s help)

P.

marcelocripe

Dear fellow translators,

Robin, I managed to complete the translation from the English texts and I also consulted several Portuguese texts that were translated by PPC and Zeh. However, the result I obtained from the Brazilian Portuguese translation did not satisfy me, as I could not compare it with the automatic translation from the German texts.
              Please send your text in German to Transifex, I need them so I can create better texts for Brazilian Portuguese. I always prefer to take your texts in your native language as a reference, normally I can obtain a translation into Brazilian Portuguese which leaves me very satisfied with the final result.
              Thank you very much for this excellent program.

– – – – –

Dear fellow translators,

Robin, eu consegui concluir a tradução a partir dos textos em idioma Inglês e ainda consultei vários textos do idioma Português que foram traduzido pelo PPC e pelo Zeh. Contudo, o resultado que eu obtive da tradução do idioma Português do Brasil não me deixou satisfeito, já que eu não pude comparar com a tradução automática a partir dos seus textos em idioma Alemão.
              Por favor, envie o seu texto em idioma Alemão para o Transifex, eu preciso deles para eu conseguir construir textos melhores para o idioma Português do Brasil. Eu prefiro sempre tomar como referência os seus textos em seu idioma natal, normalmente eu consigo obter uma tradução para o idioma Português do Brasil que me deixa muito satisfeito com o resultado final.
              Muito obrigado por mais este excelente programa.

Robin

Please send your text in German to Transifex, I need them

I’m so sorry, Marcelo @marcelocripe, but I have none. No German original strings this time I could upload. I have written every string within the script directly in English language, using some expressions which probably will raise a laugh in native English readers. Can’t help it. I guess I’d better return to my former method, writing a script completely in my native tongue, and then a master translation to English can be done at transifex by English native speakers. Saves lots of time on both sides.

But I wonder, why nobody at transifex starts with the German translation. I can’t do everything… If German antiXers don’t care for translation, I can’t help it. If it is actually left to me to care for German translation, it will have to wait until all the remaining bugs are squashed.

I managed to complete the translation from the English texts

Great to read. Many thanks, Marcelo!

And Many thanks also @PPC, I have read right now you were the early bird in translation this time 🙂

marcelocripe

I guess I’d better return to my former method, writing a script completely in my native tongue, and then a master translation to English can be done at transifex by English native speakers. Saves lots of time on both sides.

I like this method because at least I will have two different sources of machine translation texts to compare. If I have any doubts, I will follow the result of the translation from German to Brazilian Portuguese which will certainly obtain a much better result than from English to Brazilian Portuguese.

But I wonder, why nobody at transifex starts with the German translation. I can’t do everything… If German antiXers don’t care for translation, I can’t help it.

I know one thing, if I don’t translate antiX and MX Linux into Brazilian Portuguese, no one will do it and users of both operating systems will be left without the “pt_BR” translation. This is the sad reality.

– – – – –

I guess I’d better return to my former method, writing a script completely in my native tongue, and then a master translation to English can be done at transifex by English native speakers. Saves lots of time on both sides.

Eu gosto deste método, porque ao menos terei duas fontes diferentes de textos da tradução automática para comparar. se eu tiver alguma dúvida, seguirei o resultado da tradução do idioma Alemão para o Português do Brasil que certamente obterei um resultado muito melhor do que do idioma Inglês para o Português do Brasil.

But I wonder, why nobody at transifex starts with the German translation. I can’t do everything… If German antiXers don’t care for translation, I can’t help it.

Eu sei de uma coisa, se eu nĂŁo fizer a tradução do antiX e do MX Linux para o idioma PortuguĂŞs do Brasil, ninguĂ©m vai fazer e os usuários dos dois sistemas operacionais ficarĂŁo sem a tradução “pt_BR”. Esta Ă© a triste realidade.

Robin

@marcelocripe

I know one thing, if I don’t translate antiX and MX Linux into Brazilian Portuguese, no one will do it and users of both operating systems will be left without the “pt_BR” translation. This is the sad reality.

No, Marcelo, that’s unfair if I’d put it that way for the German translations. There ARE active translators, who have done great with all the translating stuff at transifex for antiX all the time, and do so still and in future as I presume. Unfortunately they seem not to be around right now, so nothing happens, while you want to see it being done 🙂 to have a second translation source. Just give them some time, everybody of us has a real life, and can’t be around all the time. Then you may compare later with your own translation. Btw, this time you can consider the English text to contain all needed pieces of information already (at least I do hope so). And since there is no German original from which I translated it, don’t expect a German translation would contain something what is not included already in the original English version this time.

PPC

@Robin – Marcelo mentioning German localization is due to the very particular process he follows when translating antiX related strings of text: since he does not speak English, he uses automatic translations, from English to pt-br, then tries to adapt the automatic translations (often they are gibberish)… He likes having a second language to compare his translations to. So he also likes using automatic translation from German to pt-br to check if they sound about the same. For some strange reason that I gave up trying to understand, Marcelo keeps telling me that that works better for him than just reading my pt-pt translations and adapting some expressions to pt-br (ex: “file” in pt is “ficheiro”, in pt-br is “arquivo”; in pt-br they don’t translate the word “mouse”, etc)…
                      Just to be clear: there are Brazilian people that prefer to try to understand (the many times extremely stupid) on-line translations, rather than reading Portuguese (from Portugal) translations created by a real human that both understands English and antiX… It’s strange, considering that they are 2 versions of the very same language. In formal speak they sound just about the same, but slang and computer terms diverge sometimes quite a lot.
                      Pt-pt speakers always understand pt-br speakers, but to most pt-br speakers it’s like pt-pt is a completely different language that they don’t understand at all! (NB: not exactly slang, but it’s common that pt-br speakers, insist in saying the feminine version for “half” instead of the number “six”. Yes. The way they say 365 is literally “three, half, five”. So I can understand how, to most Brasilians, the “original” version of their language, spoken by all other Portuguese speaking countries, sounds “weird”).
                      Sorry for the small rant!

P.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by PPC.
                      marcelocripe

@Robin – Marcelo mentioning German localization is due to the very particular process he follows when translating antiX related strings of text: since he does not speak English, he uses automatic translations, from English to pt-br, then tries to adapt the automatic translations (often they are gibberish)… He likes having a second language to compare his translations to. So he also likes using automatic translation from German to pt-br to check if they sound about the same. For some strange reason that I gave up trying to understand, Marcelo keeps telling me that that works better for him than just reading my pt-pt translations and adapting some expressions to pt-br (ex: “file” in pt is “ficheiro”, in pt-br is “arquivo”; in pt-br they don’t translate the word “mouse”, etc)…

I can try to explain why I don’t trust “pt” texts.
                        1 – In “pt” texts, it has become common for you to omit the verb and personal pronoun of address, especially “you”.
                        2 – With the verb’s mission in sentences, we lose the temporality of sentences, which makes understanding confusing. And the “pt” version, in some cases, looks like an automatic translation from “en” to “pt”.
                        3 – The excessive impersonality in the writing of fares makes me think that “the text is written in ‘pt’, but I don’t know what it means”. I wanted to write here an example of a sentence in “pt” that I once received from the Terminal while I was testing a program with Robin using HexChat instant messaging. I sent the sentence to Robin exactly as it was in “pt”, both Robin (with the automatic translation of “pt” to “de”) and I were unable to figure out what the sentence meant, due to impersonality gigantic that was in the sentence.
                        4 – Generally, the texts “from” written by Robin are very well articulated and are very easy for me to understand the context of what is being said in the sentence and thus I can construct a “pt_BR” text with much more accuracy and clarity in the information .
                        5 – When I can’t understand what the subject of the sentence is, what the verb is and also, when there is no complement in the sentence, I run out of options and leave the text “pt_BR” very similar to “pt”. Not because I want to, but because of a total lack of options.
                        6 – When I don’t have the basic structure of sentences in Portuguese, the information sent by the sender (the programmer) is not successfully received by the receiver (end user).
                        https://www.soportugues.com.br/secoes/sint/sint3.php
                        https://rioandlearn.com/pt-br/estrutura-de-frase-em-portugues/
                        https://www.todamateria.com.br/elementos-da-comunicacao/
                        7 – I am always surprised when programmers’ texts are not written to be understood by end users, especially when it is not clear what information is intended to be transmitted.
                        8 – Sentences need to have a beginning, middle and end, when sentences do not follow the basic principle of communication, it is almost impossible for someone who has never used the program to be able to operate without having difficulties.
                        Do these few examples explain why I prefer to consult and compare different machine translations?
                        The question is this, do we write the texts so that the majority of people are able to understand, or do we write the text so that the fewest people are able to understand?
                        Once the Australian pilot, Daniel Joseph Ricciardo, joked with the reporter and journalist, Mariana Gertum Becker, that he knows how to easily identify Brazilian reporters. She asked him, “Why? Could it be because of my accent?” He replied to her: “Brazilian reporters tend to talk a lot, even when speaking in English.” I only know this because the reporter translated the entire conversation after interviewing the Formula 1 driver.

– – – – –

Eu posso tentar explicar porque nĂŁo confio nos textos “pt”.
                        1 – Nos textos “pt”, já se tornou comum para vocĂŞs omitirem o verbo e pronome pessoal de tratamento, em especial o “vocĂŞ”.
                        2 – Com a missĂŁo do verbo nas frases perdemos a temporalidade das frases, o que torna confuso a compreensĂŁo. E a versĂŁo “pt”, em alguns casos, se parece com uma tradução automática do “en” para o “pt”.
                        3 – O excesso da impessoalidade na escrita das fares me faz pensar que “o texto está escrito em ‘pt’, mas nĂŁo sei o que quer dizer”. Eu queria escreve aqui um exemplo de uma frase em “pt” que uma vez eu recebi do Terminal enquanto eu testava com o Robin um programa com o auxĂ­lio das mensagens instantâneas do HexChat. Eu enviei a frase para o Robin exatamente como estava em “pt”, tanto o Robin (com a tradução automática do “pt” para o “de”), quanto eu, nĂŁo conseguimos desvendar o que queria dizer a frase, devido a impessoalidade gigantesca que estava na frase.
                        4 – Geralmente, os textos “de” escritos pelo Robin sĂŁo muito bem articulados e sĂŁo muitos fáceis para eu conseguir compreender o contexto do que está sendo digo na frase e assim posso construir um texto “pt_BR” com muito mais exatidĂŁo e clareza na informação.
                        5 – Quando eu nĂŁo consigo compreender qual Ă© o sujeito da frase, qual Ă© o verbo e ainda, quando nĂŁo há complemento na frase, eu fico sem opções e deixo o texto “pt_BR” muito parecido com o “pt”. NĂŁo porque eu quero, mas por total falta de opções.
                        6 – Quando eu nĂŁo tenho a estrutura básica das frases em idioma PortuguĂŞs, a informação emitida pelo emissor (o programador) nĂŁo Ă© recebida com sucesso ao receptor (usuário final).
                        https://www.soportugues.com.br/secoes/sint/sint3.php
                        https://rioandlearn.com/pt-br/estrutura-de-frase-em-portugues/
                        https://www.todamateria.com.br/elementos-da-comunicacao/
                        7 – Eu fico sempre surpreso quando os textos dos programadores nĂŁo sĂŁo escritos para serem compreendidos pelos usuários finais, em especial quando nĂŁo fica claro a informação que se deseja ser emitida.
                        8 – As frases precisam ter o começo, o meio e o fim, quando as frases nĂŁo seguem o princĂ­pio básico da comunicação, Ă© quase impossĂ­vel alguĂ©m que nunca utilizou o programa conseguir operar sem ter dificuldades.
                        Será que estes poucos exemplos explicam porque eu prefiro consultar e comparar traduções automáticas diferentes?
                        A questĂŁo Ă© a seguinte, nĂłs escrevemos os textos para que a maioria das pessoas sejam capazes de compreender, ou escrevemos o texto para que a menor quantidade de pessoas sejam capazes de compreender?
                        Uma vez o piloto Australiano, Daniel Joseph Ricciardo, brincou com a repĂłrter e jornalista, Mariana Gertum Becker, que ele sabe identificar facilmente os repĂłrteres Brasileiros. Ela perguntou a ele: “Por quĂŞ? Seria por causa do meu sotaque?” Ele respondeu a ela: “Os repĂłrteres Brasileiros costumam falar bastante, mesmo quando se expressam em idioma InglĂŞs”. Eu sĂł sei disso, porque a repĂłrter traduziu toda a conversa apĂłs entrevistar o piloto da FĂłrmula 1.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.