antiX screenshots – General

Forum Forums General Screenshots antiX screenshots – General

• This topic has 606 replies, 101 voices, and was last updated Apr 13-2:04 am by techore.
Viewing 15 posts - 541 through 555 (of 607 total)
  • Author
    techore

@Trashthrasher. love the background and color scheme. I am partial to dark themes and blue.

techore

@RJP, did you do the post processing on the image? If so, what did you use? I assume it was photograph that a blur effect was applied.

RJP

@RJP, did you do the post processing on the image? If so, what did you use? I assume it was photograph that a blur effect was applied.

Actually I took the picture from a video (my own video), and I post processing it using Gimp.

Original picture and edited picture.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 2 weeks ago by RJP.
          techore

Actually I took the picture from a video (my own video), and I post processing it using Gimp.

Original picture and edited picture.

Very nice. gimp is awesome.

Trashthrasher

@Trashthrasher. love the background and color scheme. I am partial to dark themes and blue.

Thanks!!! I usually do dark themes. It took a little work & tweaking config files, but I finally got it where I like it.

Animal lover
              Savior of abandoned electronics
              Linux Enthusiast
              Check out my Punk/Metal band Taco Tuesday

Lead Farmer

I don’t know why neofetch does not show custom image with ascii, jp2a and others in antix 23, so I download the source file from github and replace the ascii art of antix with a custom one I made, not the best but better than the Debian logo.

Forum Admin
                rokytnji

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
                  I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
                  Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
                  How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

ile

hello rokytnji and everyone
                    Two idesk Launchers; computer icon, cat icon. gumby, CursorOver:.

Attachments:
                    LogicinMotion

Good morning. This is my Antix desktop. I post this as its Antix that enabled me to keep using one of my favourite laptops a HP8710p which is a 17″ laptop weighing 7.5 pounds approx, has a dual core 2ghz cpu, 4 gig of ram and a 5400 rpm hard drive. And… why am I posting this? Because antix runs FAST on this laptop. It runs when fully booted in 250kb of ram, which makes it an exceptional OS for this laptop, something I am profoundly grateful for as even though this laptop is 17 years old. (Yes I did say 17 years) it is STILL a top of the line laptop with exceptional build quality and still to this date, a useful day to day laptop.

I have used many distro’s on this laptop and have had various degrees of success, but because it uses an NVIDIA GPU which is now very old, using a distro that best allows for an NVIDIA gpu of this age is problematic. Antix allows for that scenario and allows me to use this laptop daily.

Thank you ANTIX team. I very much appreciate all your hard work.

John

Attachments:
                      Brian Masinick

@logicinmotion Glad you’re having success with antiX and your HP “tank”-sized laptop! I have old versions of Dell, Lenovo, and Hewlett Packard systems; all of them are about as rugged and solid as they come.

I have a Dell Inspiron 5558 laptop that’s “middle aged”, 2015-2019 era, and it’s not quite as heavy as that old HP, but it’s also built like a tank.
                        In contrast, my current HP-14, 2021 vintage, has a solid construction, but it’s considerably lighter.

--
                        Brian Masinick

Karo

A Lenovo T430. 11 years old, antiX Full with runit, Nvidia GPU deactivated in BIOS, SSD and maximum RAM expansion.

Attachments:

Since english is not my native language and my knowledge is too poor to represent complex things I use a translator.
                          These are known not to be perfect. If you translate one of my posts from german to english into other languages, the result will be worse and worse. Therefore, I post in both english and german, so that non english speaking users can have the german text translated directly into their language.

LogicinMotion

Brian, thank you for the reply. I posted the screenshot because it’s absolutely impressive (And literally proveable by said screenshot) that Antix can strip down a linux distro in such a competent manner to have it run in 250kb of ram being both useful, swift to respond and able to handle large applications stretching further into higher ram areas. (Not so great at relinquishing that ram but then there are separate issues to debate there)

I like older hardware especially in laptops. One of my favourite all times laptops is a Dell M90 mostly because of the keyboard which is one of my over riding reasons for picking laptops in general. BUT the M90 has GPU issues which requires them be be replaced on a regular basis which is not sustainable as the laptop I currently type on (HP8710p) is almost as old as the M90 and fares much better owing to a better design ethos. So I kept the M90 for emotional reasons LOL but its no longer something I use. I used to prefer using thinkpads for this reason alone, BUT they have BIOS issues so… Yeah, no.

I did pick up a Lenovo B50-80 which is a quad core and runs well but the keyboard…! Ooh no. The keyboard… *sigh* So I can use it, but… it’s not a favourite of mine. Which explains why it sits around gathering dust. I do have a Dell 6410 which I use as it too has a decent (not great) keyboard, but I prefer a large screen but I likes it, I admits, I likes it certainly more than the B50-80.

As someone who has used a lot of laptops in their time could you recommend something with a large screen and good keyboard? I prefer something with a nice fully functional laptop (age really makes no huge difference) but it does need good build quality as longevity is key.

Again thanks for taking the time to reply. best regards.

Brian Masinick

Some of the really old Thinkpad models, especially when they were genuine IBM models prior to the sale to Lenovo had some of the best laptop keyboards.

One of my US tech friends who is at least ten or more years younger than me and loves his computer toys has owned 8-10 recent vintage laptops; his price point is WAY MORE than most people including me. He loves the T14 and L14 Lenovo series and he has found ways to get them at much less than list prices but probably still more than any of us pay, but I’ll say one thing, he gets good stuff. I’ve purchased his cast off models more than once and they were always whatever he claimed them to be.

So I would say if you can find the right IBM or Lenovo Thinkpad that’s the way to go. I’ve had good results with HP and Dell; I even had good results with a Gateway once, though they’re usually cheap and not always up to the quality of other brands.

Hope that helps. It’s not easy finding an affordable system that’s also good but if you research and look for a refurbished unit maybe you can have success.

--
                              Brian Masinick

Forum Admin
                              rokytnji

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
                                I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
                                Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
                                How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

PPC

@roky – very, very cool mix of wallpaper and theme – I laughed when I noticed that the weather, displayed in conky, matched the sun on the wallpaper… 🙂
                                  Tip: There’s a way to get glyphs that represent the weather to be displayed in conky – you have to install a font, but then the end result looks much, much better than asquii art… I uploaded, a while back a modern conky, with instructions on how to do that…
                                  The end result would be something like this (ignore the different conky style, the weather is the part I wanted to show you)

Edit: It’s the Symbola font (I had to check)- It’s also great for having glyphs that look like quick-launch icons on Fluxbox’s toolbar…
                                  In my case, my weather part in conky is something like this (adapt to your location and to imperial measures (you folks are wierd about measures in the States):

#****Weather (an empty line after that one is only to have an empty space before the rest of conky's output
                                  ${font Symbola:size=56}${execpi  100 temp=$(curl wttr.in/porto?format=4|cut -d':' -f2) && echo $temp|cut -d ' ' -f1} ${font Symbola:size=14}${execpi  100 curl wttr.in/porto?format=4| awk '{print $3 "   " $4}'}

P.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 4 weeks ago by PPC.
                                  • This reply was modified 4 months, 4 weeks ago by PPC.
                                Viewing 15 posts - 541 through 555 (of 607 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.