antiX screenshots – General

Forum Forums General Screenshots antiX screenshots – General

• This topic has 606 replies, 101 voices, and was last updated Apr 13-2:04 am by techore.
Viewing 15 posts - 586 through 600 (of 607 total)
  • Author
    mikey777

I’m probably in the minority as an LXDE-antiX user (antiX-21_x64-base on an Asus X71Q), though nothing remarkable about my desktop layout …

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by mikey777.
      Attachments:

▪ 32-bit antix19.4-core (SysV init)+LXDE legacy install on :
      - (2011) Samsung NP-N145 Plus (JP04UK) – single-core CPU Intel Atom N455@1.66GHz, 2GB RAM, integrated graphics.
      ▪ 64-bit antix21-base (SysV init)+LXDE legacy install on:
      - (2008) Asus X71Q (7SC002) – dual CPU Intel T3200@2.0GHz, 4GB RAM. Intel Mobile 4 Series, integrated graphics
      - (2007) Packard Bell Easynote MX37 (ALP-Ajax C3) – dual CPU Intel T2310@1.46GHz, 2GB RAM. SiS Graphics

PPC

nothing remarkable about my desktop layout

Our desktop does not have to be “remarkable”, just fit our taste 🙂
        Beautiful wallpaper… But the fact the black borders clash a bit with my sense of esthetics, since the wallpaper itself is in portrait mode… also, You could change conky’s colors, so you can better read it, even if the wallpaper does not work well with conky’s default colors: try running conky-colors

Also – I’ve nothing against LXDE, but currently there’s about nothing it does that icewm can’t do too (now it has icewm Control Centre, there’s a GUI to edit just almost any usual setting)

P.

Brian Masinick

@PPC this merely shows that different people have different interests and tastes –
          both in themes AND in the choices of distributions, and so many other things;
          I’ve long been a major advocate of all forms of “freedom of choice”, including
          “limited choice” for those who prefer it; (just not me).

This does not “bother” me in the least; on the contrary, I’ve been delighted for
          decades to have a greater number of choices.

I can remember though, even BEFORE antiX arrived, how some people would “complain”
          about the sheer number of distributions, especially those that were barely
          different than others.

To that, I say, “Who cares?” Use what you want and ignore the rest.

One rather humorous period was when some users would simply create a new
          wallpaper, and possibly add a “theme song” to the Welcome and call it another
          distribution. A humorous one that I remember was “Hannah Montana” Linux;
          there were also ones about Satan, and many other themes. Moreover, I believe
          that antiX may have been the primary platform for at least some, if not
          all, of those humor or special interest theme remasters!

I don’t care if we have 2000 different distributions. I use the ones I
          like and that’s all that matters. Though I don’t personally care for
          or use them at all, commercial systems are equally legitimate. Who are
          we to decide what people choose? I’m just grateful that antiX is my
          primary choice and has been for years.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Brian Masinick.

--
          Brian Masinick

olsztyn

I’m probably in the minority as an LXDE-antiX user

I see that you are using the default LXDE logout. If you replace this with the antiX logout you will have a perfect integration with antiX. If you choose to do so it is on on the Advanced tab of LXpanel settings. Specify Logout Command as desktop-session-exit. LXDE (or just Openbox+LXpanel) integrates with antiX very nicely…

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by olsztyn.

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
            http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

olsztyn

@PPC this merely shows that different people have different interests and tastes –
              both in themes AND in the choices of distributions, and so many other things;
              I’ve long been a major advocate of all forms of “freedom of choice”, including
              “limited choice” for those who prefer it; (just not me).

I completely concur with this statement.
              In the spirit of freedom, no Linux distro, including antiX, should, by design or approach, obstruct customization or improvements of such distro by others. Some distros make it difficult by design. Fortunately antiX is not one of such. On the contrary, antiX by design makes it simple to adopt other window managers or even desktops, and by default includes four of such to chose from.

mikey777

You could change conky’s colors, so you can better read it, even if the wallpaper does not work well with conky’s default colors: try running conky-colors

1st screenshot: this is my default desktop and how it normally looks, in ‘portrait’ mode, with the black ‘margins’ on either side for either icons (LHS) or file folders (RHS).

2nd screenshot: I don’t use conky on my default desktop – yes it does look ugly overlapping the wallpaper – I only put it there temporarily to show the forum how much RAM was being used, so I’m not interested in changing its colours, etc, but I take your point.

- (2011) Samsung NP-N145 Plus (JP04UK) – single-core CPU Intel Atom N455@1.66GHz, 2GB RAM, integrated graphics.
                - (2008) Asus X71Q (7SC002) – dual CPU Intel T3200@2.0GHz, 4GB RAM. Intel Mobile 4 Series, integrated graphics
                - (2007) Packard Bell Easynote MX37 (ALP-Ajax C3) – dual CPU Intel T2310@1.46GHz, 2GB RAM. SiS Graphics

techore

I’m probably in the minority as an LXDE-antiX user

I am partial to LXDE as a floating window desktop environment and was saddened to see the focus move to LXQt.

Looks good!

mikey777

Our desktop does not have to be “remarkable”, just fit our taste 🙂

You’re right, it doesn’t have to be ‘remarkable’ at all. I meant ‘remarkable’ in the sense of ‘unusual’. I’ve presented a pretty standard desktop display with nothing very fancy in it, which is what I prefer. The bright picture gently wakes me up first thing in the morning, putting me in a cheerful mood, while having my first cup of tea of the day 🙂

I’ve nothing against LXDE, but currently there’s about nothing it does that icewm can’t do too (now it has icewm Control Centre, there’s a GUI to edit just almost any usual setting)

The reason I didn’t like icewm, though haven’t tried versions later than antiX21, is that I was unable to dump files onto the DE temporarily, where they were clearly visible. I like to do this as a visual reminder about what I’m still working on, before I store the file away into its directory.

I know you’re aware of choice PPC, and that you know that everyone is free to choose as they like, etc – I only interpreted your comments as intending to be helpful e.g. conky settings, etc …

mikey777

I see that you are using the default LXDE logout. If you replace this with the antiX logout you will have a perfect integration with antiX. If you choose to do so it is on on the Advanced tab of LXpanel settings. Specify Logout Command as desktop-session-exit. LXDE (or just Openbox+LXpanel) integrates with antiX very nicely…

Thanks Olsztyn for this suggestion – I will try it.
                      However, where on the gui-interface will I find LXpanel – I don’t see it listed under Menu?

PPC

I was unable to dump files onto the DE temporarily, where they were clearly visible.

I’m not really sure what you meant by that… but if using the zzz-icewm desktop, you can copy/move/link files to ~/Desktop folder (the folder name is localized, if it’s not in English). That will make those files be instantly displayed in your desktop. I’ve not used a DE in a very long time, but I assume that is exactly the way that works everywhere (I think it was the way I did it in Windows)

And yes, I was just trying to be helpful: antiX 23.X IceWM includes it’s own “control centre” right in the toolbar quick launch icons, so you can manage it in a seamless way. Yes, it’s not part of IceWM itself… but personally I consider “zzz-icewm” as antiX’s own “DE”: it includes (almost) everything users expect from a light DE. I partly modeled IceWM Control Centre from what I saw on LXDE and KDE configuration GUI’s.

P.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by PPC.
                        olsztyn

However, where on the gui-interface will I find LXpanel – I don’t see it listed under Menu?

LXpanel is the panel on the bottom, or in your design it is on top of screen. Right click on panel displays Settings menu, where you configure your panel – toolbar, taskbar, launchbar and panel applets. In Settings Advanced tab has setting for “logout command’, which should be specified as desktop-session-exit.

wulfinna

Been using antiX 23.1 (sysvinit, kernel 6.1.55) on my Asus laptop for about a week now coming from Debian stable, and I love it! Here is my XFCE4 and i3 window manager setup. I personally do more archiving and blog management stuff than development, so I only really have things tweaked to get out of the way and let me work. Occasional shell or python scripting, but mostly just word processing.

This is the wallpaper link.

"The young generation recognizes the immense sweep of the idea through all the realms of art, science, literature, education, sex relations, and personal morality, as well as social economy, and welcomes the accession to the ranks of those who struggle to realize the free life, no matter in what field. For this is what Anarchism finally means, the whole unchaining of life after two thousand years of Christian asceticism and hypocrisy." — Voltairine De Cleyre

RJP

antiX 23 with skippy-xd

PPC

I’ve not really run FT10 as my daily driver for a while now, so here it goes: antiX 23.1 with FT10 enabled, with the Categories menu, with “Modern Conky” on the desktop (and no desktop icons).
                                Please note that there are 3 different indication of how much RAM is being used… weird… Probably the value closest to reality is the one is the task manager… Not too bad, considering it looks like I’m running some kind of KDE configuration and still it’s way below the 300MB of idle RAM (after opening and closing several apps, and with Pipewire running).

EDIT: I really really need to update the FT10 package… a lot has to change, I have to fix the bug caused when Dave updated app-select (that is used to add quick launch icons to the menu and toolbar) and remove some apps that are now part of antiX by default (like the Cloud and Samba mounting GUI’s, the compositor toggle, etc)

P.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by PPC.
                                Attachments:
                                Brian Masinick

@PPC Yes, you did nice work on the initial effort.

I’ve been comparing antiX 23 to antiX 23.1 recently. Like your tool, both of them are good but the change from the original version to the update is well worth it.

I am confident that a bit of a refresh will do similar positive things to FT10, maybe enough to get a different name! 😁

--
                                  Brian Masinick

Viewing 15 posts - 586 through 600 (of 607 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.