antiX the best operating system for my P-III

Forum Forums General Hardware antiX the best operating system for my P-III

• This topic has 13 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated Jul 17-3:48 pm by masinick.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

antiX is still the best operating system for my P-III

Over the past few months, since Debian moved to Buster, I’ve been doing more experiments on my old Pentium-III 1Ghz with 512MB of RAM. I have been curious if the increased time away from the days when this old rig was used as the daily driver in my office will finally catch up to it and render it as nothing more than history.

When MX-Fluxbox came along I started an experiment to see if I could use MX-Fluxbox on this old machine. The results were quite surprising. I did not expect that MX would ever work on such an old PC. That experience is shared on the MX Forum. MX-Fluxbox works fairly decently using MX-18 as the base. I am still curious how it will work with the latest MX-19.

When I first tried antiX-19 on this machine I had some troubles. I ended up going back to antiX-17 as my main install on this machine. I have also installed Q4OS Trinity (which uses Debian 9 Stretch), Debian 9, Slackware 14.1, Ubuntu 16.04 and Lubuntu 14.04, and Puppy Tahrpup and Bionic. All of these work to some degree. But on most of these distros I still struggle to install the software I want to use.

I am better with Debian, thanks to my time with antiX. So I have been playing with my Debian 9 install, using Xfce, and I recently installed Debian 10 with Xfce and IceWM. While I can make my way around in Debian 9 (Stretch) and 10 (Buster) I am nowhere as happy with the results as I am in antiX. In Debian I have rough edges and I have to figure out how to make things work without any of the nice tools provided by antiX. And the memory allocation is always higher in Debian. In Debian Xfce the memory used is more than twice what it is in antiX. In Debian IceWM the memory is better, under 100MB, but still not close to antiX.

If I am honest, I like the interfaces of MX-Fluxbox and Q4OS Trinity. And Debian Xfce is also quite nice, although not as nice as MX Xfce. But when I use those “nicer” interfaces on this old equipment I end up feeling everything is too sluggish. When I use antiX I feel like the system is responsive and quicker to respond. Not snappy, but quicker than the other systems I have tried on this machine.

antiX is amazing. And I am now using antiX-19 on this old P-III right now to type this and I am using SeaMonkey to read and post to the antiX forum. antiX-19 takes up a little more memory than antiX-17. But it is still amazing when compared to these other systems.

Thanks to antiX this old machine is still doing what it could do years ago in my office. Writing/Word Processing, office apps like spreadsheets and databases, e-mail, browsing the internet/web, and music. Not bad for a computer more than 20 years old.

Seaken64

Hypercorporealism0000000Hypercorporealism0000000

While I have a P-IV (codename; sort of closer to 64bits but not?) I have to agree with you this is a thing that makes it go!
    I also noticed that RasPi4 with 4GiB RAM would be crazy faster and have to encourage you to look within…underneath your
    fingernails perhaps…and use the faster, less wasteful machine that may be there (esp. if you’re in the northern hemisphere,
    coming into spring.)

It is kind of hard to pull the trigger on $300 for a Ryzen 5 and motherboard with builtin graphics when that’s what the laptops
    go for, or indeed the celeron-based $200-ish laptops mentioned on AnandTech.

fatmacfatmac

I have been heading over to ARM this last year or so, (just wish we had a version for them), my RPi do quite well, even though only 1GB ram; but then I bought a RPi4B/4GB ram, now that’s a useful little computer! 🙂

Linux (& BSD) since 1999

@Seaken64
    I enjoyed reading about your PIII experiences. It’s really heartening to hear that these old machines are allowed to keep going until they naturally die, instead of going to landfill & polluting the environment, just because they wont run the latest OS and software.

Though my single-core intel atom netbook is only half the age of your PIII, I’ve been unable to find any OS that comes close to anticore+desktop in terms of performance, usability and suitable software.

I’ve tried numerous different distros on this netbook: at one stage I had 28 distros installed in a multiboot-system ! Then I discovered antixcore – the rest is history, as they say … 🙂

masinickmasinick

I don’t have a netbook but I have used older computer systems at home for over two decades and Debian, MEPIS, MX,and antiX have been my primary “go-to” systems on each desktop, laptop, or other network-based computer systems I’ve owned or used.

The results are excellent and have been for a long time.

Brian Masinick

While I have a P-IV (codename; sort of closer to 64bits but not?) I have to agree with you this is a thing that makes it go!
    I also noticed that RasPi4 with 4GiB RAM would be crazy faster and have to encourage you to look within…underneath your
    fingernails perhaps…and use the faster, less wasteful machine that may be there (esp. if you’re in the northern hemisphere,
    coming into spring.)

It is kind of hard to pull the trigger on $300 for a Ryzen 5 and motherboard with builtin graphics when that’s what the laptops
    go for, or indeed the celeron-based $200-ish laptops mentioned on AnandTech.

Yes, I know this old computer is using more energy than a new RPi4. But my goal is not to prove that a P-III is good for everyday computing (unless that is all you have). This is an experiment of a hobbiest. And this old box has history in my business life. It was once my daily driver in my office. So, nostalgia, experiments – not energy. I don’t use it all the time. I have newer laptops with low power processors for my everyday use. My current laptop I got for under $300 on clearance from a local BestBuy.

Seaken64

@Seaken64
    I enjoyed reading about your PIII experiences. It’s really heartening to hear that these old machines are allowed to keep going until they naturally die, instead of going to landfill & polluting the environment, just because they wont run the latest OS and software.

Though my single-core intel atom netbook is only half the age of your PIII, I’ve been unable to find any OS that comes close to anticore+desktop in terms of performance, usability and suitable software.

I’ve tried numerous different distros on this netbook: at one stage I had 28 distros installed in a multiboot-system ! Then I discovered antixcore – the rest is history, as they say …

Unless you develop the Linux OS yourself and compile everything specifically for your machine, you won’t find a better OS for your netbook. I have tried the same number of distros. AntiX is the best there is. And I don’t mean we settle on antiX. It is simply the best for old computers of this vintage. There are some others that run. But none as complete as antiX.

Seaken64

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by seaken64.

I don’t have a netbook but I have used older computer systems at home for over two decades and Debian, MEPIS, MX,and antiX have been my primary “go-to” systems on each desktop, laptop, or other network-based computer systems I’ve owned or used.

The results are excellent and have been for a long time.

Yes, exactly. The results are excellent.

I have recently installed a few other distros on this old box. BunsenLabs, Bohdi, Salix, Sparky and SliTaz. I stay by my original comment – antiX is the best for this old P-III.

Seaken64

Seaken64,

Thank you for sharing your testing experience with other minimalist Linux distributions or that run in RAM on your Pentium III.

For that matter, how much RAM is on this computer?

We live in times where programmed or forced obsolescence exponentially increases the amount of waste on the planet, most of which go to third world or underdeveloped countries, as if they were donations to needy people.

When they are not electronic waste (referring to the previous paragraph, those that are no longer repaired), technologies in full operation are discarded due to the increasing requirements of hardware requirements (Processor and RAM) of MS Windows and various Linux distributions that follow o the same way, the programmed obsolescence.

In rich countries, where economic power must be greater and conditions, I believe, are better for the population, it may even be relatively easy to acquire new hardware, in Brazil, with an equivalent US $ 1.00 (US dollar) R $ 5.24 (reais) quotation on 06/24-2020, excluding taxes, we will have to reuse and repair hardware with more than 15 or 20 years of manufacture, for a few more years, or as long as it is possible to keep them running.

Thankful.

marcelocripe

Original text in Brazilian Portuguese, translated into English by Google translator.

————–

Seaken64,

Agradeço por compartilhar a sua experiência nos testes com outras distribuições Linux minimalistas ou que rodam na memória RAM em seu Pentium III.

Aproposito, qual é quantidade de memória RAM neste computador?

Vivemos tempos onde a obsolência programada ou forçada aumentam exponencialmente a quantidade de lixo no planeta, a maioria vão para os países de terceiro mundo ou subdesenvolvidos, como se fossem doações as pessoas carentes.

Quando não são lixo eletrônico (referente parágrafo anterior, os que não possuem mais conserto), tecnologias em pleno funcionamento são descartadas devido as exigências de requisitos de hardware (Processador e memória RAM) cada vez maiores do MS Windows e de várias distribuições Linux que seguem o o mesmo caminho, o obsolência programada.

Nos países ricos, onde o poder econômico deve ser maior e as condições, acredito eu, sejam melhores para a população, pode até ser relativamente fácil a aquisição de novos hardwares, no Brasil, com um US$ 1,00 (dólar americano) equivalendo R$ 5,24 (reais) cotação do dia 24-06-2020, sem contar com os impostos, nós teremos que reutilizar e consertar hardwares com mais de 15 ou 20 anos de fabricação, por mais alguns anos, ou o quanto tempo for possível mantê-los funcionando.

Grato.

marcelocripe

Texto original em idioma português do Brasil, traduzido para o inglês por Google tradutor.

@marcelocripe,

the P-III in this topic has 512MB of RAM. I have other systems running with 384MB and 256MB. antiX is my go-to OS for anything 1GB or less.

Debian is also a good fit. But the advantage of antiX is that it is administered by anticapitalista and the other developers and users. antiX is essentially Debian underneath. But I have never been good at setting up nice menus and scripts on my own. I appreciate the housekeeping and scripting that antiX provides on top of Debian.

I hope cast off equipment will continue to find it’s way to countries where it is too expensive to buy new hardware. And as long as it does, antiX will be a good operating system for those old computers.

Seaken64

do you have room for more ram?

what chips and slot configuration?

maybe i have some in my box of chips

enriqueenrique

Thanks for these interesting comments.

masinickmasinick

@seaken64:

I have been running MX Linux AND antiX Linux a LOT more – even though they are ALREADY my favorites; as I have mentioned in other threads, I recently picked up three “cast off” systems from my brother in law, who moved to a different home nearby and he has more boxes full of unused things than he has the time or energy to sort through, sift, share, or discard. I was fortunate enough, however, to be at his home when he happened to look inside one box, only to find three working, old computer systems. I asked him if he was going to keep them, discard them, or whatever. I offered to take them, experiment with them, and decide if any of them are worth using; they certainly ARE. One is an HP desktop (5000 series), another is a heavy, but really solid IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad X201 (maybe the BEST of the bunch), and the third is an HP laptop with a bad hinge, but functional.

I’ve been playing with a few different systems on them; old as they are (older than my Dell Inspiron 5558, which is a decade+ old). Thanks to anticapitalista and his attention to detail, all of these are functional. I’ve been a fan for well over a decade; this is YET ANOTHER instance of calling upon one of our fine instances; both MX Linux and antiX STILL function fine on systems that some people consider “a bucket of bolts”!

Thanks also to the testers and development community team and the helpful people on this forum!

Brian Masinick

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.