antiX transformation pack – antiX FT 10

Forum Forums General Software antiX transformation pack – antiX FT 10

• This topic has 493 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated May 20-4:53 am by PPC.
Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 494 total)
  • Author
    BobC

If you need translation help, let me know, I’ll pitch in if you point me to the files.

Daily driver distro https://www.antixforum.com

Brian Masinick

@PPC: I downloaded the recent FT10 1.5 Beta 1 update and gave it a quick try. I haven’t tested every feature, but the basics do work – turning FT10 on and off, setting a few preferences, including date and time displays.

If I get more time, I’ll dig deeper, but I am looking forward to the addition of your latest idea and breakthrough; I’ll definitely give all of that a solid test! Keep up the good work; I hope more people try this out!

--
        Brian Masinick

PPC

@BobC – Thanks for the offer! Since I wrote FT10 scripts in English, please, do take a look at the menu (both Tiled and Categories), the script to manage favourites and tiles, and the script that manages tint2 (that comes up when the user right clicks the +/- icon).
          If something sound off, please report it, and tell me the correct way to write what I want (I’m not a native English speaker).

I’ll tweak the new script to configure time and date – it’s too wide for lower resolution screens, netbooks. I’ll have to make it “vertical”… Other than that, I think I’ll try inserting the new scripts I created for the Trash Can (adding a GUI to empty the Trash Can and allowing users to restore a file from the Trash Can straight to it’s original place)- but I’m too drained, I’m not sure I’m up to fighting with zzzfm’s script right now- as it is, except for any unforseen bug, I think FT10 v1.5 is almost production ready – after the weekend, if not bug comes up, or any brilliant suggestion/idea, the final version will very close to this beta- I’ll ask anticapitalista to compile the .deb and make it available, and I’ll also provide the language files, for better localization. Pt is already done (by me), and Marcelo probably will want to tweak the pt_BR one. I think our Italian users found no problems with the older version, so they will only have to check if my machine assisted localization for the new script to configure the time shown in the toolbar is correct.
          The es localization should probably be fine. The french one will need a bit of a revision (hi, Wallon!) and the German version is probably lousy (so Robin will have his hands full, correcting my de localization).

I take a lot of care trying to make sure users get the UX (User eXperience) possible- I think I made the toolbar and the menu as easy to use as possible, also, as easy to edit as possible (including some suggestions made here in this thread). Even the “Update Reminder” script, that, if turned on in the “Enable Ft10” screen will remind users to update, if they have not done so for a week (this reminder is made only once a day, and/or at the system start)- this script now uses the code I created for antiX-updater, and accepts the default options, so all the user has to do is click the notification’s button to update, enter the root password (if asked to), wait until the process is finished, and close the notification that the system is now up to date- it’s as brain dead simple as I can make it ( except for the entering credentials, it’s even simpler than in Windows- but a bit uglier, because users do see the Terminal doing the upgrade)

As always my aim is that folks that use Windows 10/11 or mobile devices will not have any trouble using antiX’s more essential features, specially when using the Tiled Menu: Internet, E-mail, File Management, installing stuff from Package Installer, Updating the system, using Office… it’s all available straight from the toolbar or instantly on the menu.

It’s nothing users can’t mostly achieve installing tint2 toolbar and jgmenu’s menu and configuring those extremely nice pieces of software- but my Tint2 Manager offers probably 90% of all the features users may want in (what I think is) a far simpler interface than the official tint2’s config GUI.

PS: I’m tempted to include an option, in “ft10 enable” window, to keep antiX’s default look – so users can enable and disable Ft10 from the same window, making the process simple? I do like having 2 separate options to enable and disable – that way it’s harder to make mistakes, but having that option on the “enable” screen would make it simpler, if anticapitalista (or anyone else) ever wanted to make an iso with FT10 installed and enabled.

Question: do you folks think it worth the extra work to add another option to the “FT10 enable” window: “Simple Menu” (the Tiled Menu with the Tiles turned off)– it provides a more Windows 11 look (even if I created it before screenshots of Windows 11 hit the Internet, I think).
          If you want to test this look: make sure you are in the Tiled menu (if not, launch “Ft10 enable” from the menu and select the Tiled menu) > left click Ft10 menu > left click “Manage Favorites” (on the top part of the menu) > left click “Tiles” > Choose the option to hide the Tiles

P.

PPC

For anyone that installed the 1.5beta 1, here’s the next version of the script to manage the Time and Date displayed in the toolbar (uncompress the .zip file and run the script from a File Manager), I think it’s much more usable and looks “cleaner”.

P.

Brian Masinick

I just went through the majority of functions, both in the new time and date manager and in the overall FT10 package with the time and date inclusions. Everything I tried worked as expected, colors, size, position, and formats all modified as expected.

It’s looking good to me and I’m able to do everything I requested, and it can still be enabled and disabled as we’ve seen previously.

Nice update!

--
              Brian Masinick

marcelocripe

Hello PPC.

The first tests and the modifications in the texts of the .po and .desktop files in pt_BR I sent you by private message. I’ve included the fr and fr_BE texts Wallon asked me over a year ago to send you from the “ft10-debinstaller.desktop” file and it also has my improvements.

Please use the “Debinstaller” I sent you twice. BobC managed to get all the texts translated and FT10 deserves to have the improved version of “Debinstaller”.

– – – – –

Olá PPC.

Os primeiros testes e as modificações nos textos dos arquivos .po e .desktop em pt_BR eu te enviei por mensagem particular. Eu incluí os textos fr e fr_BE que o Wallon me pediu há mais de um ano atras para te enviar do arquivo “ft10-debinstaller.desktop” e também possui as minhas melhorias.

Por favor, utilize o “Debinstaller” que eu te enviei duas vezes. O BobC conseguiu fazer com que todos os textos fossem traduzidos e o FT10 merece ter a versão melhorada do “Debinstaller”.

PPC

The latest .deb package, along with a compressed file with all the source code is available over at https://gitlab.com/antix-contribs/ft10-transformation#ft10-transformation (the now up to date project’s “homepage”, that includes a picture of the new menu, running on my computer)

Discussion on that latest version is over at https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/split-preparing-for-ft10-migration-to-ft11/ (it includes pictures of the new menu template)

P.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by PPC.
                  Brian Masinick

Does this latest update change anything from the deb package you shared recently in the other thread concerning the FT10/FT11 updates?

If it’s not significant, I’ll bypass this one and look for another packaging; I really appreciated the recent .deb package update!

--
                    Brian Masinick

Forum Admin
                    rokytnji

Finally. Finished.

Taken this as far as I know how.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
                      I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
                      Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
                      How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

PPC

Dear Mr Masinick – I think that the last .deb file I uploaded to the git page includes the fix to the bug that reseted the toolbar and nucked the system tray every time users used the GUI to change the fonts of the toolbar/menu (by mistake that .deb file has a name related to fixing the time/date bug).

The final version just needs a few tweaks on the localization and a new image for the “Centered” menu button, on the “Enable FT10” window

P.

PPC

Dear FT10 users:

Unless some bug, localization problem, etc, is found, this new .deb package should be the next “final” FT10 version: https://gitlab.com/antix-contribs/ft10-transformation/-/blob/main/ft10-transformation_2.b1_all-22-4-2024.deb?ref_type=heads

*Change log:
                          – created new picture for the “Centered menu layout”, on the Enable FT10 window
                          – improvements on some .desktop files (thanks to some tips from @Marcelocripe)
                          – Localized the new strings in all supported languages

*Bugs:
                          – This packages as no known bugs except one: for some strange reason, sometimes, when adding a quick launch icon to the Tint2 Toolbar for the first time, if fails to appear there, but is listed among the icons that can be removed. This seems to affect only the first icon, all other seem to be added just fine. You can add the inicial icon a second time, and it will pop up in the toolbar. If any new bug is found, please let me know and I’ll try to solve it if I can (no promises on the time that will take).

*Opinion:
                          – This Transformation pack now achieves everything I wanted it to do, and enabling it is even easier than ever, since you can select the menu template you want to use with literally 2 clicks: one on antiX’s menu, to “Enable FT10”, and the second on the picture of the kind of menu you want to use. That’s all (one extra click may be needed, if you want to use antiX’s volumeicon, instead of FT10’s).
                          – If I could add any new option to FT10, it would be a MacOS/Gnome like layout, with the default Window Manager toolbar on the top and a simple tint2 “dock”, on the bottom, with just quick launch icons… But as it is now, this project already sucked too much of my time…

EDIT: I just opened tint2rc and instantly noticed how to solve the problem with the incorrect first quick launch icon. I don’t know why that only happens with the first icon, but I do know how to solve it and I’ll change that in the final version. For user that like editing stuff manually, the fix is simple:

sudo geany /usr/local/lib/ft10/tim-tint.sh

and change the line:
                          add=$(echo $add_icon| cut -d '|' -f1)

to

add=$(echo $add_icon| cut -d '|' -f1| awk '{print $NF}')

save the change.

Next time you left click the “+/-” entry on the toolbar or select the menu option to “Manage FT10 toolbar”, it should be solved.
                          NOTE: do not try to run the script tim-tint.sh manually- it will close your tint2 toolbar when it finishes running!!!

P.

• This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by PPC.
                          • This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by PPC.
                          Brian Masinick

Great work @PPC!

--
                            Brian Masinick

Forum Admin
                            rokytnji

How I handled this.

sudo apt remove ft10-transformation

To uninstall previous .deb install.

sudo apt autoclean

To remove leftover files. Then download and install the new .deb and edit line 211 in geany for the toolbar edit after I installed the new .deb.

Log out and in for the heck of it.
                              Enabled F11 and things work like they should.
                              Like Brian said. Good Job. 😀

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
                              I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
                              Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
                              How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

PPC

My mind tends to get stuck on details, sometimes… So I played a bit with the script that manages tint2 toolbar quick launch icons and partly remade it.
                                I think the newer version is, for most tasks, more intuitive and easy to use: it now has just 2 screens: the main screen, that previews all quick launch icons on the toolbar on a vertical list and allows users to remove the selected icon from the list, or move it left or right. Only the “add new icon” button summons a different window, app-select, so the user can select the app to be added to the quick launchers section of the toolbar.
                                Changes in the toolbar are displayed in real time and the list shown in the window is updated also in real time.

To do:
                                – change the way tint2 is restarted, if possible
                                – Localize the text explaining how to use this GUI, shown on the top of the window
                                – Show the localized icon tooltips, on the GUI’s window- currently, they are always in English

As always, please test carefully and report back any problems, suggestions.

P.

PPC

I’ve just uploaded, on FT10’s git, the official compressed source file for FT10 version 2.beta2. The installation package is available over at: https://gitlab.com/antix-contribs/ft10-transformation/-/blob/main/ft10-transformation_2.b2_all.deb

Change log:
                                  – Bumped version from 2.b1 to 2.b2
                                  – Included what I hope is the final version for the new GUI that helps manage quick-launch icons on the tint2 toolbar. I think it’s as easy to use and efficient as I could make it.
                                  – that new GUI should be localized.
                                  – All GUIs that manage the tint2 toolbar should work perfectly, when summoned from a GUI, not killing the system tray (like the previous final and 1.5beta versions did). Unfortunately, that comes with a cost- if you try to run any of those GUI’s directly from the terminal… you’ll have to restart tint2 manually too. The new quick-launch toolbar icon manager (called ft10-tim.sh) warns about that if run from the terminal. But I think this won’t affect regular FT10 users – it’s meant to be a GUI, managed by GUIs… why run scripts to manage it from a terminal?

I’m pleased with the way the new script works. I think it’s more practical- I do hate when users select an option that pops open a new window, that pops up a new window. This way almost everything is managed from one central main window (except when using app-select to choose a new icon to be added to the toolbar).

I think I have nothing I can add to the current version. I’ll give it some days and then, if no problem is found, I’ll ask anticapitalista to create the official .deb file (it’s created from the source files, not by me) and upload it to antiX 23 repo’s.

P.

Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 494 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.