antiX transformation pack – antiX FT 10

Forum Forums General Software antiX transformation pack – antiX FT 10

• This topic has 410 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated Jan 26-1:03 pm by marcelocripe.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 411 total)
  • Author
    PPC

I did get it installed and running. I do like tint2’s configuration program, but didn’t understand all of it. Can’t really type now (I’m working today), but just wanted to say I got it installed and working successfully.

@Bob, that’s because of the very powerful but sometimes complex and cryptic configuration GUI that I adapted TIM to work with tint2 (and also added tim-tint2 to the toolbar itself- I think that should be the standard toolbar layout, even for IceWM, so users, like a recent YouTube reviewer, don’t end up thinking that icons on the toolbar can’t be managed)
      There are 2 main differences between this tint2 setup and Windows 10’s toolbar- if you click a quick start icon, it’s icon does pop up in the taskbar part of the toolbar and, right clicking icons on the taskbar automaticaly closes their window- this behavior can be turned off in tint2’s “proprieties” window, because it can see desiorinting to Windows users, but I realized- most of the times I right clicked an icon on the taskbar, was really to close it’s window, so, this general “right click to close this item” does make sense. I’ve searched and there is no way to add a contextual menu when clicking icons on the taskbar…
      To get the most feature rich antiX desktop possible, my installer also pulls in “dunst” (for system notifications- automatically starts when users get a system notification) and “compton” (for visual effects- users have to start it manually )- both can be uninstalled, and that does not affect, at all, antiX FT 10’s behavior.
      The only addition I’m thinking about is an OSD when user changes volume using the keyboard (adapting Xecure’s suggestion to another user, on an unrelated thread).

Ideal for users that have to deal a lot with windows and are used to it’s default browser, MS Edge can be installed.
      I also tweaked a Ms Office 365 On-line web-app to work with free Ms accounts (this gives users normal looking windows, without any address bar, to each MS Office application). With both this addictions (and a new background) most users can almost be fooled to think they are just using a funky looking Windows 10 version.
      Really, my idea for this “transformation pack” came when I had to used Windows 10, after many months, and thought that it’s toolbar did have many nice features, and it would be nice to have a more uniform setup for user that had to jump around antiX/Windows 10…
      Adding antiX-cloud’s icon to SpaceFM’s toolbar (or antiX’s toolbar itself), does make the OS even more feature rich, so, except for Windows only software (that can’t be run via wine/proton), the user is not really missing much in terms of features/usability.
      That said, a newbie testing antiX FT 10 may be fooled to think everything is just like in Windows- it’s not- but I did try to make the most used tasks (logging out, managing toolbar icons, installing essential software, updating the system, configuring Wi-fi networks, etc) as painless as possible, done directly from the toolbar.
      MS even followed my lead ( 🙂 ) and seems to be adding a weather app to Windows 10’s toolbar…

@all: As always, I’m open to bug reports, constructive critics and suggestions.

P.

marcelocripe

Hi BobC,

When ModdIt said “Same goes for the job Bobc is doing.”, I was really curious to know what jobs you are developing and if there is anything I can help you with?

Unfortunately, I still don’t know how to interpret the codes that you, Xecure, PPC, Dave and Robin develop, but I can collaborate on the help texts, manual, in HTML code, with the help of internet translators I try to collaborate with the texts and translation to pt_BR.

I know that talking to me is not easy, because I do not know how to communicate in English. But this is a limitation that I try to overcome daily, the difficulty of being understood correctly and of understanding correctly.

I thank you for all of your work and commitment, as well as everyone else involved in antiX.

If you post new videos from Youtube I will click on “like”, if they are videos that other Brazilians can understand I will share, so I can collaborate with your channel and still allow more people to have access to your videos.

Thankful.

marcelocripe
        (Original text in Brazilian Portuguese)

———-

Olá BobC,

Quando o ModdIt disse “Same goes for the work Bobc is doing.”, eu fiquei verdadeiramente curioso em saber os trabalhos que você esteja desenvolvendo e se tem alguma coisa que eu posso te ajudar?

Infelizmente, eu ainda não sei interpretar os códigos que você, Xecure, PPC, Dave e o Robin desenvolvem, mas eu consigo colaborar nos textos de ajuda, manual, em código HTML, com o auxílio dos tradutores da internet eu tento colaborar com nos textos e na tradução para pt_BR.

Eu sei que conversar comigo não é fácil, devido eu não saber me comunicar em idioma inglês. Mas esta é uma limitação que eu tento superar diariamente, a dificuldade de ser compreendido corretamente e de compreender corretamente.

Eu agradeço por todo o seu trabalho e empenho, assim como de todas os outras pessoas envolvidas no antiX.

Se você postar novos vídeos do Youtube eu irei clicar no “like”, se forem vídeos que outros Brasileiros possam compreender irei compartilhar, assim eu posso colaborar com o seu canal e ainda permitir que mais pessoas tenham acesso ao seus vídeos.

Grato.

marcelocripe
        (Texto original em Português do Brasil)

marcelocripe

MS even followed my lead ( ???? ) and seems to be adding a weather app to Windows 10’s toolbar…

I had first found the Windows 10 Weather Forecast website in Portuguese, then on the Microsoft blog. I even played with the PPC about “Microsoft copies PPC from antiX” (laughs).

The Weather Forecast that PPC implemented on the Tint2 toolbar allows the user to configure the URL for their City / Municipality / District, in addition to the language to be displayed. It is super lightweight, ad-free and configurable. It is a fantastic solution!

Congratulations, PPC for all the work on developing the Tint2 script, allowing it to be installed and configured automatically with only ONE “.sh” file. It is unbelievable to do everything with an executable file. My applause is standing …

Thank you!

marcelocripe

———-

Eu havia encontrado primeiro o sítio em Português sobre a Previsão de Tempo no Windows 10, depois no blog da Microsoft. Eu ainda brinquei com o PPC sobre “A Microsoft copia o PPC do antiX” (risos).

A Previsão de Tempo que o PPC implementou na barra de ferramentas do Tint2 possibilita ao usuário configurar a URL para a sua Cidade/Município/Distrito, além do idioma a ser exibido. É super leve, sem propagandas e configurável. É uma solução fantástica!

Parabéns, PPC por todo o trabalho no desenvolvimento do script do Tint2, permitindo ser instalado e configurado automaticamente com apenas UM arquivo “.sh”. Inacreditável fazer tudo com um arquivo executável. Os meus aplausos são em pé …

(Os links das matérias estão no texto em idioma Inglês)

Muito obrigado!

marcelocripe

BobC

PPC, I guess that weather site is no longer working, but I imagine there are other options to get it and display it, even maybe by using a “Weather Conky” that just runs when you tell it to, and gets killed when you close it.

The disk space couldn’t run as part of the CPU option, but I created a separate option for it and fixed the df command. For slower machines it would make sense to run them on a wider interval.

I removed the second volume icon.

Its using 146 mb of memory at idle, which is higher than IceWM (I think), but it is nice. It’s definitely much more comfortable to work than normal FluxBox. Tint2 even has an “autohide” ability, and your separate toolbar icon manager was a nice touch.

All in all, you really made it familiar that a non-technical person could use and tweak easily themselves. The only part I had to fix by hand was the disk space.

marcelocripe

Hi BobC,

The weather forecasting website is working. Use the template

http://wttr.in/City_Name_State_Name_or_Country_Name?lang=en

http://wttr.in/New_York?lang=en

In the image http://ibb.co/Jxw292n, from left to right, the first volume 100% is an executor” vol “that is in the folder $HOME/.config/tint2, remove the executor and keep the second volume that is between the network manager and the weather forecast. Without the “vol” executor http://ibb.co/F36cwMd and after restarting antiX 19.2 full 64 bit (standard version) it can be seen that the idle memory consumption has decreased.

Please share this solution to display the space on disc. I don’t know what the “df” command is.

marcelocripe

———-

Olá BobC,

O site de previsão do tempo está funcionando sim. Use o modelo

http://wttr.in/Nome_da_Cidade_Nome_do_Estado_ou_Pais?lang=en

http://wttr.in/New_York?lang=en

Na imagem http://ibb.co/Jxw292n, da esquerda para a direita, o primeiro volume 100% é um executor “vol” que está na pasta $HOME/.config/tint2, remova o executor e mantenha o segundo volume que está entre o gerenciador de rede e a previsão do tempo. Sem o executor “vol” http://ibb.co/F36cwMd e após reiniciar o antiX 19.2 full 64 bits (versão padrão) pode ser visualizado que o consumo de memória ociosa diminuiu.

Por favor, compartilha esta solução para exibir o espaço em dico. Eu não sei o que é o comando “df”.

marcelocripe

BobC

Thanks, it was 3 am and I didn’t notice that it wasn’t sending the city or language on the weather request.

Here is the code for disk space, and it will work even if you have your home directory on a separate drive volume

#!/bin/bash
                disk=$(df -h / | tail -1 | awk '{print $4}')
                diskhome=$(df -h $HOME | tail -1 | awk '{print $4}')
                #UnComment to show an icon (and if doing so, comment the "echo" line:
                #Please note an "echo" line here allows to be displayed, next to it, more than one line, piled horizontally
                #echo /usr/share/icons/papirus-antix/24x24/panel/indicator-sensors-cpu.png
                echo
                #UnComment to show available disk space in home:
                echo " / $disk "
                echo " ~/ $diskhome "

Attachments:
                marcelocripe

BobC,

I hope you have managed to set up the weather forecast for your City.

I will post this model in the Portuguese language area and include the capitas of Brazil and the Districts of Portugal.

Thanks for sharing your solution for displaying disk space, it looks great! I inserted your code in place of the executor code “vol”, after updating Tint2, it immediately worked.

Is it possible to insert your code next to the @PPC code in the “cpu” file? That way, everything (CPU, RAM and Disk) in a single executor file, I imagine it will save more RAM.

What is the time that you consider ideal for updating RAM consumption and CPU variation on computers with 1 GiB DDR RAM and a single core processor?

marcelocripe

———-

BobC,

Eu espero que você tenha conseguido configurar a previsão do tempo para a sua Cidade.

Eu vou postar este modelo na área em idioma Português e incluir as capitas do Brasil e os Distritos de Portugal.

Obrigado por compartilhar a sua solução para exibir o espaço em disco, ficou excelente! Eu inseri o seu código no lugar do código do executor “vol”, após atualizar o Tint2, imediatamente funcionou.

E possível inserir o seu código junto ao código do @PPC no arquivo “cpu”? Dessa forma, tudo (CPU, RAM e Disco) em um só arquivo executor, eu imagino que poupará mais memória RAM.

Qual é o tempo que você considera ideal para a atualização do consumo de RAM e da variação da CPU em computadores com 1 GiB de RAM DDR e processador de um núcleo?

marcelocripe

PPC

@BobC-
                    I noticed that the wttr.in site was having some trouble recently, but that seems fixed now. If you do not provide your localization, it automatically tries to find out using your network provider- results may vary- most of the time, here in Portugal, it may point to nearby cities, but it once or twice point to a city some 300Km away (it’s doing that right now…)
                    The df code worked in my netbook, and I did not test it in my main desktop (my bad)- for some reason, spaces are counted differently on both machines df output… Thanks for fixing it and making it universal… That will be certainly incorporated in a future version of the install script. For now, here’s my updated “cpu” script, that also shows free disk space, all in the same script – I don’t need it myself, I just turned that feature on for testing porpoises.
                    Now the only thing “missing” from tint2 toolbar (that’s displayed in conky) is network usage- but I find that is seldom important to me- I tend to notice when my network is down without needing to check on screen… So I didn’t even try to implement it.

About RAM usage- on my computers, my min-fluxbox/tint2 (running the default “cpu” script) uses between 98 Mb – 120Mb of idle RAM (depending of the machine tested…using Nvidea drivers does take more RAM- about 25Mb if I recall correctly)
                    In all my test cases, I found this setup idle RAM is still a couple of Mb below the default icewm/conky/volume_icon default setup.

Revised “cpu” script, to display free disk space:

#!/bin/bash
                      read cpu a b c previdle rest < /proc/stat
                      prevtotal=$((a+b+c+previdle))
                      sleep 1.5
                      read cpu a b c idle rest < /proc/stat
                      total=$((a+b+c+idle))
                      cpu=$((100*( (total-prevtotal) - (idle-previdle) ) / (total-prevtotal) ))
                    mem=<code>free | awk '/Mem/ {printf &quot;%d MB\n&quot;, $3 / 1024.0, $2 / 1024.0 }'</code>
                    disk=$(df / |cut -d' ' -f12 |tail -1)
                    disk=$(df -h / | tail -1 | awk '{print $4}')
                    diskhome=$(df -h $HOME | tail -1 | awk '{print $4}')
                    #UnComment to show CPU icon (and if doing so, comment the "echo" line:
                    #Please note an "echo" line here allows to be displayed, next to it, more than one line, piled horizontally
                    #echo /usr/share/icons/papirus-antix/22x22/panel/indicator-sensors-cpu.png
                      echo
                    #UnComment to show CPU usage (in percetage):
                    #UnComment  second part to show free space in Home (thanks for fixing that part, BobC):
                      echo "CPU $cpu%" "/ $diskhome "
                    #UnComment to show available RAM:
                    echo "RAM $mem"
                    BobC

I would suggest separating the different values and on a slow machine running a test of each on the same machine from a cold boot with nothing else running but htop and conky to see how much effort each takes.

I would run the test 120 times, starting with a sleep interval of 1.

If you dont see any impact while running the tests then you can run it with an interval of 1 in tint2.

If 1 is using system resources increase the sleep value in the loop until the system load is insignificant.

At this point you will know the interval to use in the tint2 configuration. All of the ones that can run with similar intervals can run together.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by BobC. Reason: Made it simpler
                      BobC

I tried writing a program to test the theory. I’ve never tried writing anything like it in this programming language before.

The CPU test is very fast, but RAM is slower. On an older PC I would run cpu at 5 second intervals. disk is slower and I would run it at 30 second intervals.

BobC

Here is the test program. The language is not good at doing math, so I just looked at the raw numbers and subtracted the amount of sleep time included in order to calculate the run time. For example the cpu has a 1.5 second sleep + my 5 second sleep = 6.5 times 10 = 65 seconds of the time reported = sleep time and the rest is actual run time, so run time was .163248204 seconds for both cpu and ram calculations, where disk took .258811745. On slow machines these things really do matter. On fast machines you would never notice.

$ ./testtint
                          Bash version 5.0.3(1)-release…
                          cpu test sleeps 5 seconds 1 time
                          cpu Execution time was 65163248204 nanoseconds.
                          disk test sleeps 5 seconds 6 times
                          disk test Execution time was 300258811745 nanoseconds.
                          nothing test sleeps 5 seconds 1 time
                          nothing Execution time was 50058038860 nanoseconds.

btw: The site here messes up the expr syntax because the backtick characters around the expressiion in the statement are removed.

#!/bin/bash
                          times=9
                          interval=5
                          echo "Bash version ${BASH_VERSION}..."
                          #for i in {START..END..INCREMENT} syntax:
                          echo cpu test sleeps $interval seconds 1 time
                          start=<code>date +%s%N</code>
                          for (( i=0; i<=$times; i++ ))
                           do 
                               ~/.config/tint2/cpu > NULL
                               sleep $interval
                           done
                          end=<code>date +%s%N</code>
                          echo cpu Execution time was <code>expr $end - $start</code> nanoseconds.
                          echo disk test sleeps $interval seconds 6 times
                           do 
                               ~/.config/tint2/disk > NULL
                               sleep $interval
                               sleep $interval
                               sleep $interval
                               sleep $interval
                               sleep $interval
                               sleep $interval
                           done
                          echo disk test Execution time was <code>expr $end - $start</code> nanoseconds.
                          echo nothing test sleeps $interval seconds 1 time
                           do 
                               ~/.config/tint2/nothing > NULL
                               sleep $interval
                           done
                          echo nothing Execution time was <code>expr $end - $start</code> nanoseconds.

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by BobC.
                          • This reply was modified 3 years ago by BobC.
                          BobC

PPC, I have this running on one laptop that gets used frequently, and I noticed that it seems to get a battery charge value initially, but doesn’t seem to update it. It was saying 74% when the battery died. Maybe its something I did to the scripts?

PPC

PPC, I have this running on one laptop that gets used frequently, and I noticed that it seems to get a battery charge value initially, but doesn’t seem to update it. It was saying 74% when the battery died. Maybe its something I did to the scripts?

Hi Bob, I did not did write any script to show the percentage of the battery- it’s all tint2, out of the box- the only mod I tested was putting a battery icon before the percentage (and decided against it).
                              Tints’s indication of the remaining battery never failed me in my netbook, so I have no idea what may be wrong and how to fix it… I can try, when I have the time, to write a script to place a battery “executor” on the toolbar, but that uses some system resources… I tend to only use the CPU/RAM executor (that’s basically what I need conky for- and it’s easier to read than Icewm’s “squares”)

I have a few changes to my config – one of them you can test: ever noticed how windows are drawn above the toolbar? To solve that you have to edit fluxbosx’s “apps” file and change Tint2’s “Layer” to 6 and restart fluxbox- drawbacks: the “show desktop” icon also minimizes the toolbat with no obvious way to get it back except using the fluxbox menu, from the root menu and clicking to show “tint2″‘s window)- also, the calendar is drawn below the toolbar, so you don’t see the “close” button…
                              Solutions: on the “Show desktop” button- add to the fluxbox-remote command this: ” & pkill tint2 && tint2″, to force tint2 to restart and get it back…
                              Add an option to always draw calendar’s windows on top (I don’t know it, I’ll send it later)

This new version will also add an (almost) universal right click on icon to close (it applies to the start menu and everything to the left of the launcher icons. I removed Dunst from the transformation pack and added “trash-cli”- to try to automaticaly add a “trash can”/”recicle bin” to spacefm- but I’ll probably remove that too, and make it part of a script to install trash on spacefm (all that’s needed is thar package, a .dekstop file Marcelogripe wrote and some editing of spacefm’s config file- this last part is the problematic section- I wonder why the Dev team does not add a recicle bin to spacefm, out of the box- it costs no ram/cpu at all, and the trash-cli package is tiny…
                              I don’t want to include the trash can in my transformation pack because I’m trying to have it do as little change to the system as possible, so, if the user logs into rox-icewm, the system is the same as the default one (with the obvious change of having spacefm as default file manager- I really really had to implement that one)…

P.

imsoenthused

@PPC I want to use your transformation script on this old IBM NetVista all-in-one I’m playing with, but the new pseudoantix Beta 3 ISO that Xecure put together seems to be missing a few things from the normal full antix install. Any idea what I would have to have installed to get the script to run properly? I installed tint2 and the full papyrus theme, and it will actually show the FT10 tint2 bar, but the script hangs up and when I kill it, it switches back to the default setup.
                                The output I’m getting up to the hang:

Hit:1 http://deb.debian.org/debian buster-backports InRelease                  
                                Hit:2 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian buster-updates InRelease                 
                                Hit:3 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian buster InRelease                         
                                Hit:4 http://security.debian.org buster/updates InRelease                      
                                Hit:5 http://mirrors.evowise.com/mxlinux-packages/antix/buster buster InRelease
                                Reading package lists... Done
                                Building dependency tree       
                                Reading state information... Done
                                33 packages can be upgraded. Run 'apt list --upgradable' to see them.
                                tint2: Using glib slice allocator (default). Run tint2 with environment variable G_SLICE=always-malloc in case of strange behavior or crashes
                                tint2: xRandr: Found crtc's: 1
                                tint2: xRandr: Linking output default with crtc 0, resolution 1024x768, DPI 96
                                tint2: No XSETTINGS manager, tint2 uses config option 'launcher_icon_theme'.
                                tint2: Loading config file: /root/.config/tint2/tint2rc
                                tint2: real transparency off.... depth: 24
                                tint2: panel items: PPPPPLTEEEEPPPPSBCPP
                                tint2: Systray composited rendering on
                                tint2: nb monitors 1, nb monitors used 1, nb desktops 2
                                tint2: panel 1 uses scale 1 
                                tint2: Loading icon theme cache...
                                tint2: Kernel uevent interface initialized...
                                Icon path not found in cache: theme = papirus-antix, icon = /usr/share/icons/papirus-antix/24x24/panel/indicator-rss-aware.png, size = 29
                                tint2: Loading icon theme papirus-antix:
                                tint2:  'papirus-antix',tint2:  'numix-bevel-antix',tint2:  'Faenza-Cupertino-mini',tint2: 
                                tint2:  'hicolor',tint2: 
                                Adding icon path to cache: theme = papirus-antix, icon = /usr/share/icons/papirus-antix/24x24/panel/indicator-rss-aware.png, size = 29, path = /usr/share/icons/papirus-antix/24x24/panel/indicator-rss-aware.png
                                Icon path not found in cache: theme = papirus-antix, icon = /usr/share/icons/papirus-antix/24x24/panel/audio-volume-high.png, size = 29
                                Adding icon path to cache: theme = papirus-antix, icon = /usr/share/icons/papirus-antix/24x24/panel/audio-volume-high.png, size = 29, path = /usr/share/icons/papirus-antix/24x24/panel/audio-volume-high.png
                                Icon path not found in cache: theme = papirus-antix, icon = /usr/share/icons/papirus-antix/24x24/panel/weather-few-clouds.png, size = 29
                                Adding icon path to cache: theme = papirus-antix, icon = /usr/share/icons/papirus-antix/24x24/panel/weather-few-clouds.png, size = 29, path = /usr/share/icons/papirus-antix/24x24/panel/weather-few-clouds.png
                                Icon path not found in cache: theme = papirus-antix, icon = /usr/share/icons/papirus-antix/24x24/devices/drive-removable-media.png, size = 27
                                Adding icon path to cache: theme = papirus-antix, icon = /usr/share/icons/papirus-antix/24x24/devices/drive-removable-media.png, size = 27, path = /usr/share/icons/papirus-antix/24x24/devices/drive-removable-media.png
                                tint2: another systray is running, cannot use systray
                                Icon path not found in cache: theme = papirus-antix, icon = /usr/share/icons/antix-papirus/application-exit.png, size = 29
                                Adding icon path to cache: theme = papirus-antix, icon = /usr/share/icons/antix-papirus/application-exit.png, size = 29, path = /usr/share/icons/antix-papirus/application-exit.png
                                === 001. Create cpu
                                === 002. Create vol
                                === 003. Create auto-fluxbox-menu-position.sh
                                === 004. Create tim-tint-pt.sh
                                ###Tint2 ###
                                environment: line 370: /root/.fluxbox/init: No such file or directory
                                environment: line 371: /root/.fluxbox/init: No such file or directory
                                environment: line 372: /root/.fluxbox/init: No such file or directory
                                environment: line 373: /root/.fluxbox/init: No such file or directory
                                environment: line 374: cd: /root/.fluxbox: No such file or directory
                                environment: line 376: /root/.fluxbox/apps: No such file or directory
                                environment: line 377: /root/.fluxbox/apps: No such file or directory
                                environment: line 378: /root/.fluxbox/apps: No such file or directory
                                environment: line 382: /root/.fluxbox/startup: No such file or directory
                                cp: cannot stat '/tmp/t2instal': No such file or directory
                                === Create tint2rc
                                nohup: ignoring input and appending output to 'nohup.out'

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by imsoenthused.
                                Xecure

Any idea what I would have to have installed to get the script to run properly?

environment: line 370: /root/.fluxbox/init: No such file or directory

I think you are running the script as root, and not as a normal user. Not sure myself. Probably PPC can advice better.

antiX Live system enthusiast.
                                  General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 411 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.