AntiX vs Debian installing broadcom b43 drivers

Forum Forums General Other Distros AntiX vs Debian installing broadcom b43 drivers

Tagged: , ,

• This topic has 4 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated Jul 5-7:06 pm by dolphin_oracle.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    gpsblake

I noticed installing AntiX 32 bit that the broadcom drivers needed works out of the box, just a matter going into conman and setting the right password for wifi

But on debian, for the life of me, can’t get Broadcom drivers to install.

Is there a way to make this possible since Antix has no troubles with it. Can I copy antix files involving broadcom b43 drivers over to debian so they can work??

Just curious about it.

LikkMii

Debian needs non free repos for that
        deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free

Xecure

Depending on the device, I think you need t install the
          firmware-b43-installer
          or
          firmware-b43legacy-installer
          both also available in the Debian contrib repos (need to add the contrib tag to the Debian sources.list).

MX Linux uses the Debian kernels, and the b43 drivers work, so you should also be able to get them to work in vanilla Debian.
          Remember to un-blacklist them (if Debian blacklists them in /etc/modprobe.d/, I don’t know).

antiX Live system enthusiast.
          General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

seaken64

Yes, Debian does not install some of the firmware out of the box. Do a search on the packages mentioned by Xecure and that will get you pointed in the right direction.

Debian is a little more restrictive on what it includes in the distro. You’ll have to learn what Debian considers acceptable for the distro’s iso. You can install what is missing on your own. A little reading will make it clearer to you.

Seaken64

Forum Admin
            dolphin_oracle

debian doesn’t install the proprietary drives, you’ll also need build-essential and dkms for broadcom if you want to use the broadcom-sta drives.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by dolphin_oracle.
            Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.