antiX without x. Wayland only.

Forum Forums General Screenshots antiX without x. Wayland only.

• This topic has 7 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated Nov 30-12:56 pm by vitforlinux.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    atlanelan

antiX22-sid-core with Hyprland, waybar and foot terminal on a frugal install.

Attachments:
      andyprough

Looks cool. Can you tell us what Wayland packages you installed, including if you installed stuff like wlroots? And any dependencies you installed for Hyprland? I’m assuming you did the git clone and make install for Hyprland – did you run into any problems?

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by andyprough.
        atlanelan

@andyprough Thanks for your feedback.To play it safe first I installed sway and its recomended pkgs through apt. Hyprland is built from git using my laptop running voidlinux.Just placed Hyprland and hyprctl bins in /usr/bin. Hyprland provides aspecific version of libwlroots.so to be placed in /usr/lib. vulkan-tools and libxcb-errors.so.0 are needed by hyprland. If we run Hyprland from tty it shows what pkgs it needs one by one. We can easily install those dependancies. I can not figure out libxcb-errors.so.0 file so I copied from voidlinux to /usr/lib. For sway you can install everything from apt.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by atlanelan.
          andyprough

Oh I see, so you did not try to build it directly on antiX? I agree that building it on Void and then copying the necessary files over makes a lot of sense, but I’m thinking that antiX should be able to build it. I’ll probably have to give it a try, this really interests me a lot.

How’s it working out for you in terms of finding enough software that will run on a Wayland-only machine? I know that the major browsers should be able to, and I assume that things like libreoffice and gimp should work, and I know mpv is supposed to work. What about PDF readers and torrent programs and various utilities like that? And what about synaptic – have you tried running synaptic to see if it would work with Wayland?

atlanelan

Prebuilt binaries also available in hyprland github. You can try that first. Building quiet a few pkgs from git with my laptop so lot of lib files already available. Thats why I choose to build here. Since it is antix core it will need lot of build time dependancies but we can build with antix definitely. Just found that libxcb-errors.so I mentioned above is available with xcb-util-errors pkg. So we can install everything from repos. gcc12 and glibc-2.36 are mainly needed for running hyprland which are avilable in sid or testing repos only I think.

Qt apps run well. Im using qpdfview and transmission-qt. You can enable wayland in firefox. I didnt tried synaptic.

vitforlinux

It’s interesting, but the good old buttons for closing windows and the menu are still not visible… I hope we won’t always be forced to use two hands to make key combinations: many still use the mouse.

The developer of JGmenu created a new program to give an independent menu to Wayland:Trappist

Who knows what success a lighter than usual distro would have among Wayland and Sway lovers.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by vitforlinux.

Sorry for my spaghetti english, i'm italian.

PPC

but the good old buttons for closing windows and the menu are still not visible

I never used Hyperland (or even tested Wayland) – but I think it includes a tiling windows mode and a floating windows mode. When tiling windows, no “good old buttons for closing windows” are seen- at least not on any window tiler that I ever saw…

P.

vitforlinux

If Wayland is the future, other window managers will be brought to work on Wayland, and then there will be buttons to close windows… KDE’s Kwin or XFCE’s XFwm are already going there.

Sorry for my spaghetti english, i'm italian.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.