AntiX17.2 on Fujitsu Scenic E600. System asks root user – keyboardUSB recognize

Forum Forums General Hardware AntiX17.2 on Fujitsu Scenic E600. System asks root user – keyboardUSB recognize

This topic contains 49 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Spartak77 Dec 10-2:01 am.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    delix02

what about installing an older version of antiX
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/antix-linux/files/Final/

and then trying to upgrade step by step (finally to version 17.2 ?) ?
    Guess, antiX-15 (= wheezy) would be a good start, as you can upgrade to jessie with the official Debian repos.

After the initial installation, packages were updated individually using apt list –upgradable, then apt install for each one. (Some of them will pull others along with them). This was necessary as with the number and size of the updates available, apt upgrade as one operation would have filled the drive. Then the kernel was upgraded to 4.15.14 from the antiX repo. Finally, I installed bleachbit to remove the localizations that i did not require.

is from

but I do NOT recommend the usage of the btrfs file system as it slows down an old PC with an old CPU beyond usability.
    Good luck !

• This reply was modified 7 months ago by delix02.
    walker1

sure, i will try to install old Antix version but can you explainme how to solve those 2 errors i posted before ?:

1) mounting /dev/loop0 on antix/live failed: Invalid argument

2) Fatal Error Could not mount /live/boot-dev/antiX/linuxfs as a squashfs filesystem
    p = power off
    r = reboot

• This reply was modified 7 months ago by walker1.
    delix02

Sorry, I can’t.

Once again, it is a USB problem.
    Use

mounting /dev/loop0 on failed: Invalid argument

as keywords for a startpage search and you will find several solved and unsolved problems other people had with other distros.
    I guess, there is not really an error in the code or the way antiX is installed. It is a problem of the combination of the specific hardware, the kernel and the installer. Maybe it could get corrected with a minor change in the installer (perhaps using a “sleep” command or something similar), but it is over my head.
    You may try other ways as for example using an old or a brand new USB stick. I don’t think you can solve your problem by playing around with cheat codes or other software based solutions.

walker1

ok and what should i do if Antix version 15 (one old version) fails to install too ?

delix02

well, it is a desktop PC. So, what should work if everything fails :
    1. remove the harddisk from the E600
    2. place the harddisk in another PC with free space and according disk controller chips
    3. start this PC with the antiX stick
    4. install antiX on the hard disk taken from the E600
    5. check the Grub config files and change the disk numbers (or UUID) in such a way that Grub looks for the root directory in the correct partition even when the hard disk is the only one in the PC system (i.d. usually : use /dev/sda1 or similar or the UUID of the partition)
    6. take the hard disk out of the PC and place it back into the E600.

This is a bit trickky (especially step 5), but it should work. I’ve done it often, however, several years ago).
    You can still find step-by-step instruction for this way in the net.
    Good luck, again.

walker1

ok, now i was finally able to install and run Antix 15 but now, how to upgrade it to 17.2 version ?

delix02

unfortunatelly, the Wheezy repos have been moved to the Debian archive already. So it is not possible to update antiX-15 easily.
    I would skip this step and try to upgrade to Jessie (= antiX-16) directly. This is already a huge step and there maybe some problems with several packages if the list of the dependencies is nor correct or some dependencies are missing. Anyway, give it a try.

My suggestion is to change the default runlevel in
    /etc/inittab from 5 to 3 and restart the PC at first.
    With this change your start a command line session, what is saver in case the upgrading of some gui application gets wrong.
    Run the midnight commander with mc. It makes the following tasks easier.

The first step is the modification (as root) of the source list files in /etc/apt/sources.list.d.
    The debian.list file should look like this :

# Debian Old-Stable. Default for antiX-16.
    # Use for maximum stability INSTEAD of the ‘rolling’ TESTING release concept.
    deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ jessie main contrib non-free
    deb http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main contrib non-free
    #deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ jessie main contrib non-free

The next step is to get a list of the upgradable packages with the command
    apt list --upgradable
    and then upgrade the packages one by one with
    apt install <package name>
    as described in the link given in the posting above.

Acually, if possible start with the core and non-gui packages (if you can identify them), then the Xorg stuff and finally udgrade the gui packages (as browser and all the other graphical applications).

If everything works fine you should have Debian Jessie on the PC.
    The next step should be the upgrade with the antix.list file accordingly. However, I don’t know yet, whether and where the antiX repos for antiX-16 are (still) available. Maybe other community members can help here.

After everything works well, you can repeat the whole procedure with the upgrade from Jessie to Stretch.

Some more notes:
    – are you sure you really need antiX-17 on this PC ? antiX-15 is running, needs less resources and will be probably faster. Not to say, it would save you a lot of time as you may image reading this description
    – there is unfortunately a pretty good chance that some packages and application won’t run after the upgrade any longer, as there are very likely missing dependencies or such things in the Debian (as well as in the antiX) packages
    – therefore there is a risk of getting an unusable system following these steps
    – if you dare to give it a try, you will learn quiet a lot about linux, Debian and antiX…….

Good luck

delix02

Sorry, there is an error :

you MUST change the repo in the antix.list BEFORE you do the apt install.
    Otherwise you will get systemd stuff installed and that breaks your system installation.
    The antix-16 is

# Use with Debian Old-Stable/Jessie repositories. Set as default for antiX-16.
    deb http://repo.antixlinux.com/jessie jessie main nosystemd

caprea
    caprea

Just a thought, maybe worth a try if antiX16 also gets installed without problems.

walker1

Just a thought, maybe worth a try if antiX16 also gets installed without problems.

that’s right and i have just installed Antix 16.2 but now, how do i upgrade it to 17.2 ?

Anonymous

… how do i upgrade it to 17.2

The RIGHT question is: WHY should I upgrade it to 17.2?

The easy way: You download latest antiX 17.2, put in on a USB and reinstall.

🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂

Upgrading 16 to 17 will work “the Debian way” and if you must ask “how’s that”, than you’d better search the forums first.

antiX-16 upgrade to antiX-17

Afterwards, you’d search further BEFORE you proceed.

antix 16 to 17 apt updating

antix 16 to 17 upgrade

The point is: every upgrade is a risk, it can brake the things and will bring you no advantage whatsoever except, your “computer” will run even slower.

Just like Ubuntu 18.04 is slower then 16.04, is slower then 14.04, is slower then 12.04, is slower then 10.04 …

Security can’t be the reason, other ways one wouldn’t use Fujitsu Scenic E600 any more.

One can write a very simple letter in LibreOffice 3 just as good as in 6.

walker1

i just tried to update Antix 16.2 to 17 but i wasn’t able to because i got these 2 kind of errors after i typed APT -GET UPDATE inside antix terminal:
    1) file is blocked by…….
    2) …………i do not know error words…….root permissions (required)

• This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by walker1.
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

Do/did you have synaptic open?

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

walker1

no, i have NEVER had synaptic opened.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by walker1.
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

Did you upgrade as root user?

Please post the EXACT message

• This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by anticapitalista.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.