AntiX17.2 on Fujitsu Scenic E600. System asks root user – keyboardUSB recognize

Forum Forums General Hardware AntiX17.2 on Fujitsu Scenic E600. System asks root user – keyboardUSB recognize

• This topic has 49 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated Dec 10-2:01 am by Spartak77.
Viewing 5 posts - 46 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    rokytnjirokytnji

. This is really little, especially if you want to upgrade

That is what she said. 😉

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Spartak77Spartak77

Summing up everything, I would do this:
    I would reduce the space allocated to Windows to give it a little more to antiX. I would give at least 8-10 GB if it is not possible to give more. (remember to backup and defrag windows)

In making an other attempt to switch from antiX 16 to 17, I add a hint to those that have been previously given here:
    During the installation phase of antiX 16 you are asked what kind of repository you want to use:
    Stable or Testing
    Choose Testing, so you start already with the system set up for Debian Stretch
    then do the update following the instructions given to you by MissTell and anticapitalista.
    Switching from an antiX 16 Testing (on Stretch basis) to antiX 17 stable (on Stretch basis) should give less problems

If you still can not update successfully, then install antix 16 and keep that, as MissTell told you.
    I have antiX 16 in one partition and in another I have antiX 17, both systems work very well, I practically do not see differences; so it’s not so terrible if you keep antix 16

Tried using the live CD? It has a utility for Grub repair, that might be what’s up possibly, your system can’t find the OS to boot it. I’d give it a go, and if It don’t work, you haven’t lost anything but time.

Everybody should do what he/she feels right but, repairing something could easily take hours or days, reinstalling will take minutes (OK, on a newer HW).

I’m not a total noob when it comes to Linux and still, I found out, that fixing something needs very much knowledge, can take a lots of time and, at the end it might work or not, or it can leave the repaired OS in some “hmmm, but …” state, where everything seems to be fine and one still has the bad feeling that something is not as it was supposed to be. It’s maybe just my lack of knowledge, don’t know.

I’d reinstall, fresh, on a “known working” version, would keep antiX 16 (Debian 8) until the EOL (end of life) and then and only then, if my Laptop is still alive (and if I’m still alive, to paraphrase rokytnji), I’ll try to make another upgrade to 17.

The chances that something goes wrong are too high, the chances that HW is still alive or that one still want’s to torture himself with such snail speed HW in 2020 are pretty low and the time consumption to get it up and running is just out of any proportion to the gain if it succeeds — even if one can get it to work, one still needs a(~nother) computer for work.

Spartak77Spartak77

The chances that something goes wrong are too high, the chances that HW is still alive or that one still want’s to torture himself with such snail speed HW in 2020 are pretty low and the time consumption to get it up and running is just out of any proportion to the gain if it succeeds — even if one can get it to work, one still needs a(~nother) computer for work.

Ok, I agree: a computer like that does not have a great use because it can only be used to write and possibly listen to music, in fact for example it is not possible to use a browser in an acceptable way with 512 MB of Ram, unless you use Dillo or something like that, anyway it remains a too minimal and unsatisfactory way to access the network. So you take some time to develop a computer that does not have a practical use. OK it’s true but it can be used to experiment with Linux to learn how to use it; from this point of view it might not be wasted time.

In any case I would bring the RAM to 1 GB, this would allow you to go on the internet in an acceptable way.
    You can find some new 1 GB RAM modules, for that computer, for 15 euros including shipping costs, of non-quality brands:
    https://www.amazon.it/Komputerbay-400Mhz-PC3200-MEMORIA-DESKTOP/dp/B003CH1SJU/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1544429598&sr=8-13&keywords=1+GB+RAM+PC3200+400mhz+DDR
    or for the same amount, Ram of well-known brands but used.

Viewing 5 posts - 46 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.