Antix19 32bit does not resume from suspend

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Antix19 32bit does not resume from suspend

• This topic has 13 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated Nov 3-2:08 pm by Xecure.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    kawe

And one more question running Antix19 32bit on an Acer Extensa 5220 for now:

The laptop seems to go in suspend correctly (blinking LED like in any other OS).
    However, I cannot wake it up to operation mode.
    At first it seems to awake as expected (LEDs, HDD, DVD, etc.), but the screen remains dark and it appears to get completely frozen unless restarting.

Thank you for any hint to resolve this issue, :-).

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

There seems to be lots of bugs/issues with that laptop and suspend (type Acer Extensa 5220 resume linux into a search engine).

Here’s one to look at.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam/Old/AcerExtensa5220

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

Please, always remember to say if you are using antiX base or full (I asume it is antiX Base, as specified by other posts).

try to see if installing acpi-support helps.
    sudo apt update && sudo apt install acpi-support
    This should help with the suspend and wake problem.
    Configuration can be found in /etc/default/acpi-support

• This reply was modified 10 months ago by Xecure. Reason: removing tlp comment
    rayluo
    Helpful
    Up

There seems to be lots of bugs/issues with that laptop and suspend (type Acer Extensa 5220 resume linux into a search engine).

Here’s one to look at.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam/Old/AcerExtensa5220

Thanks AntiCapitalist for teaching where to check whether a device could be the culprit! Learn something new today. 🙂

With that, I would suggest Kawe to edit this thread’s subject to append “… on an Acer Extensa 5220”.
    FWIW, I can attest that the suspend/resume feature in antix19 32bit is very reliable. I am using it on my Thinkpad X60, daily, and now my machine’s uptime counter is 51 days.

rayluo
    Helpful
    Up

Taking a close look into the upper level page, https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CategoryLaptop , especially at its bottom, I notice that it contains “only” 1227 models, and the page was last edited in Apr 2012. So, it is more about an archive rather than an ongoing effort. It was lucky for Kawe that his/her Acer Extensa 5220 was on that list. I encounter “suspend works, but resume becomes reboot” issue with a Thinkpad T430, which was released 2 months AFTER that wiki page’s last edit date, so I’m out of luck. 🙂

@AntiCapitalist, any idea on where to look at for this kind of suspend/resume issue? Is it a BIOS setting thing, or Linux kernel issue? Searching online finds mixed info.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

I encounter “suspend works, but resume becomes reboot”

When you say “resume, do you mean pressing the power button to wake up or moving the mouse/pressing any key to wake up?

If it is a power button issue, I had to change the powerbutton configuration for my tablet so it wouldn’t shutdown after waking up. I cannot remember right now, but if this is your problem, let me know and I will dig into my (acpi maybe?) configurations and let you know.

kawe
    Helpful
    Up

This is the most disappointing of my up to now reported starting troubles.
    I am not even close to understand what is going on here.
    And it pretty hard to trial and error if you have reboot (and additionally with orphaned file nodes to be cleaned up).

And rayluo is right to point to older topics (and lots around the Acer Extensa 5220). This was helpful. Thank you.

However, things got more complicated as before.

1. Some people reports that there troubles started with a kernel update (many years ago).
    2. Some people think this might be rather a problem of the video driver than of the apm/acpi management.
    3. It is reported that hibernate should work at least (but it fails with very similar problems also).
    4. To my knowledge, there are no suspend/hibernation issues using other OSs including Win Vista that had been lived on the laptop for years (but has wiped out successfully now, 🙂 )

So all I can give for now are more symptoms but nothing close to a solution:

a) there in no single entry in the BIOS setup of this machine concerning APM/ACPI and restoring setup defaults doesn’t help either.
    b) this issue is *not* antiX specific. I get the very same behavior if trying and resuming from a USB-Puppy Linux (BionicPup32, and it *does* suspend other machines correctly, ;-)).
    c) reinstalling / reconfiguring acpi-support and even partly or totally (acpi-base) removing as Xecure suggested was virtually effectless.
    d) I tried to add (yet) one kernel parameter (‘acpi_sleep=nonvs’, see: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1556934) – didn’t help
    e) I tried uswsusp (s2ram) instead: same issue (and: even s2disk first seems to work but fails in the last stages of reactivation)

What happens:
    1) Entering the suspend mode seems to work very much like expected. After a friction of second the screen gets blank, hdd and fan stop and the power LED turns from steady green to blinking orange.
    2) Waking the system starts also as expected: LED turns to steady green again, hdd awakes and the fan make some noises every now and then …
    3) …an that’s it. The screen remains blank, no sound, (virtually) no keyboard response.
    4) The systems remains stuck until hard shut down and rebooted.

You may also “wake up” the system by power switch. No difference.
    O.k., maybe sometimes, maybe depending on my config trials, the system switches on then immediately (what is better than getting stuck, :-)).

And finally, when I tried s2disk to hibernate, the system hibernated to swap partition and switched off. The screen output is very hopeful.
    Starting the system by power switch will (decompress and) resume from the swap image and finally – fail (and turns off again automatically).

So all I know for now is:

a) it is not antiX but likely Linux
    b) it happens on acpi events but it might be some other hardware and I suspect the video system at first.

So filnally my next silly question:

The Acer seems to run with a i915 driver.
    What is the best option to change this (temporarily) to a reasonable gereric (vbe?) driver in antiX?

Thank you all.

sleekmason
    Helpful
    Up

Gotta ask,

A check for a couple of things, and, maybe the fact it suspends makes these next questions irrelevant? Or you are already sure it is a hardware issue?

Are you sure you have a swap partition?
    sudo blkid
    will show you your partitions.

/etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume is the location of the resume file (I’m not currently in antix, please correct if different). The uuid numbers should match.

use:
    sudo update-initramfs -u -k all to update any new kernels, etc. (this will be needed if you make changes to swap and the resume file. And giving it a go anyway couldn’t hurt.

Sorry if I’m totally off base here:)

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

The Acer seems to run with a i915 driver.
    What is the best option to change this (temporarily) to a reasonable gereric (vbe?) driver in antiX?

Use the boot option safevideo or xorg=vesa or something similar to use vesa driver instead of i915 driver.

About your suspend and wake problem, it reminds me of this topic:
    https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/suspension-of-the-system-and-blocking-of-peripherals/

We tried to have the mouse driver restart when booting and tried to find errors for the suspend command (/var/log/pm-suspend.log). Maybe you can figure something out reading the log or sharing it here so that others more knowledgeable can help out.

Sometimes, these problems take a very long time to solve or cannot be solved at all. Hopefully, this is not the case.

kawe
    Helpful
    Up

a short update:
    I have tried lots of kernel/acpi options in the meanwhile but didn’t succeed yet.
    And what is worse: A lot of solutions in in the past are deprecated or not working anymore …

However, I have noticed a mistery last weekend:

If I start antiX from the live-CD (19.2.1. 32bit) wake up from suspend works *once* a session.
    If I add the i915_revert (and maybe another option) switch this seems to get even (more) stable …

Any ideas?

kawe
    Helpful
    Up

Yet another weird update:

I had some time to try the live CD session again:

1) If I use F4 -> i915_revert the *live* CD session will *always* suspend and wake up successfully!
    2) Also tlp runs flawlessly and does not hang the system (see my other thread)
    (Of course, I get the wlan troubles again, see my other thread (resolved))

3) *After* having rebooted from live CD session to the installed system I could wake up it *once*.
    I got nothing but a blinking cursor first, but witching to console (ctrl-alt-F1) worked and back (ctrl-alt-F7) gave me the fully resumed system. The next suspend, however, did fail again.

How would I add the i915_revert option to the installed system?

• This reply was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by kawe.
    • This reply was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by kawe.
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

Boot the live medium with i915_revert option and copy /lib/modprobe.d/i915-invert.conf file to /lib/modprobe.d/ on the installed system.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

kawe
    Helpful
    Up

Boot the live medium with i915_revert option and copy /lib/modprobe.d/i915-invert.conf file to /lib/modprobe.d/ on the installed system.

Ok, I have managed this a couple of days ago but with no positive effect.
    Wake up from live media works, wake up from installed antiX does not.

Things got even worse here (but I guess this is due to some updates!?):
    The brightness keys (Fn + cursor left/right) won’t work, too (volume control, Fn + cursor up/down *does* work, and brightness control had worked either).

This would not trouble me much but I can’t find *any* working way to control brightness now …:-(

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

You may have to opt for a frugal install instead of a complete “normal” installation. Add static persistence and it would work the same as live CD/USB but saving changes as if it was a full install, and all working from the HDD.

Things got even worse here (but I guess this is due to some updates!?):
    The brightness keys (Fn + cursor left/right) won’t work, too (volume control, Fn + cursor up/down *does* work, and brightness control had worked either).

“Recent” firmware updates for amd and intel graphics may have caused some regressions. For now, it is best to boot with antiX 19.2 and “hold” the current versions of any firmware packages (except if you need a specific wireless firmware).

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.