antiX19 stupid question on updating test system

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions antiX19 stupid question on updating test system

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by manyroads Aug 13-5:26 pm.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    manyroads
    manyroads

Sorry to be dumb, but it comes naturally. What I’d like to know is…
    if I have antiX19b2 will updates up to and including the final release of antiX19 be a simple updates or a complete rebuild/reinstall?

• This topic was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by manyroads.
    • This topic was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by rokytnji.

Pax Vobiscum,
    Mark Rabideau aka. manyroads
    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." ---H. L. Mencken

Forum Admin
    Dave
    Dave

Generally depends on the bugs found as well as any of the default user settings that change. A large bug fix / change may not be fully addressed in an update from testing releases and any of the default user configs that get changed normally require a manual copy to your current user. Example theme/startup changes

Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening Windows. ~Author Unknown

fatmac
    fatmac

Generally speaking, if you update through the beta to release cycle you should have the same system as a new install when released.

Linux (& BSD) since 1999

manyroads
    manyroads

Thank you @fatmac. That was my hope. I’ll begin building my bspwm version of antiX as I am able, in the hopes that it will be reasonably upgradeable. If it isn’t, I’ll survive a rebuild anyway. 😉

Pax Vobiscum,
    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." ---H. L. Mencken

masinick
    masinick

I’ve not personally experienced any problems between releases (or test images) with themes, but what Dave says bears attention). As long as theme updates and any other customization does not interfere, continual software updates should progress through to a release.

If you REALLY know what you are doing, it’s possible to perpetually move between releases, but you do have to be particularly careful when there are major infrastructure changes. I’ve totally toasted a few distributions (sometimes intentional to learn what can happen), and other times by carelessly making changes late at night, but I’ve also updated and upgraded systems for years at a time before choosing or having) to do a rebuild.

Best advice is to always keep spare copies of information and key files, and back-up critical data. I have multiple computers and multiple locations where I keep information, so even a catastrophic failure does not remove everything everywhere and therefore I can occasionally make very risky changes and recover from them because everything is sourced from multiple locations (and distributions).

Playing it super safe means frequent backup copies and multiple places where information is stored. If you do this, no worries except for the time needed to save and recover information or build systems. The more you can experiment and learn (including system maintenance and recovery) the more you can take risks and both learn from them and recover from them. Best wishes!

Brian Masinick

manyroads
    manyroads

@masinick & @Dave I’m actually not worried about themes of any type. Rather, I’m considering building a non-standard respin of antiX with bspwm as a primary tiling window manager. I may add i3wm or sway to the mix. My plan is essentially remove almost all the traditional non-tiling antiX wms from my build/respin. I am also planning on using the rolling release variant of antiX (64-bit only, I’ll leave 32-bit to those who want it). I’ll likely maintain herbstluftwm with whichever tiling wms I elect to use. I really want to create a non-systemd tiling wm platform that uses bleeding edge software (to quote the vernacular). I have eliminated using arch and many of the systemd rolling distros as my base, although in the systemd free space I am considering & testing the possibility of using VoidLinux and/or Gentoo as base distro options.

It is just fun… and a great way to learn how much I have yet to learn.

Pax Vobiscum,

masinick
    masinick

That’s terrific! I wish you well on this journey and look forward to seeing whatever you come up with, and anything you care to share about your journey along the way. Best wishes and congratulations on your decision to create something that interests you and helps in learning. It also sounds like something that may be quite a bit different than most other efforts, so your work may be appealing to those who look for software that’s outside the conventional “norms”.

@masinick & @dave I’m actually not worried about themes of any type. Rather, I’m considering building a non-standard respin of antiX with bspwm as a primary tiling window manager. I may add i3wm or sway to the mix. My plan is essentially remove almost all the traditional non-tiling antiX wms from my build/respin. I am also planning on using the rolling release variant of antiX (64-bit only, I’ll leave 32-bit to those who want it). I’ll likely maintain herbstluftwm with whichever tiling wms I elect to use. I really want to create a non-systemd tiling wm platform that uses bleeding edge software (to quote the vernacular). I have eliminated using arch and many of the systemd rolling distros as my base, although in the systemd free space I am considering & testing the possibility of using VoidLinux and/or Gentoo as base distro options.

It is just fun… and a great way to learn how much I have yet to learn.

Brian Masinick

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    rokytnji

I’ll mention Anti supplies files that can be spliced into your original beta download . Figure done mainly for the band with challenged members across the world. Then tons of key checks for checking you got the real deal.

Spoken by a used to be type of AntiX user. Member response. Stuff I used to do back when I had time.

harry@biker:~
    $ inxi -S
    System:    Host: biker Kernel: 4.19.13-antix.1-686-smp-pae i686 bits: 32 Desktop: IceWM 1.3.8 
               Distro: antiX-15-V_386-full Killah P 30 June 2015 

When I decide to change this laptop operating system. I’ll use my 1TB small external drive. Keep some .icons and .themes and etc……. stuff on there.

Complete fresh re-install. It is just quicker. Being stubborn and thick skinned. I spent many days fighting /var/cache/apt/archives contents in folder. Along with bumbling around with smxi at the same time. Just trying to get a long in the tooth install of a testing version to upgrade and boot OK.

So anymore. I leave /etc/apt area alone and just backup and re-install. Sometimes it is fun to jump down the rabbit hole. I can understand that approach completely also.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

BobC

Manyroads, my packagecomp and aptik are working well for migrating. You can search for my post with the code. I used it to migrate from 17 to 19.

manyroads
    manyroads

Thank you rokytnji & BobC. I have begun my small (?) journey. It looks like I need to change some things from my current MX based bspwm install. Who knew??1?? I should note that have found some folks on reddit who are helping and providing wonderful insights on my efforts, as well. I will bore everyone here with my progress or lack thereof….

I truly appreciate everyone’s (anyone’s) interest and questions/ guidance.

Pax Vobiscum,

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.