antiX19 – will support come for Sis graphics cards ?

Forum Forums General Hardware antiX19 – will support come for Sis graphics cards ?

• This topic has 2 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated Oct 5-3:28 am by VW.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Following successful installation & functioning of antiX17 on a Packard-Bell Easynote MX37 laptop, I thought I might try antiX19 beta3.
    However, though edition 19 booted to the desktop, there were clearly problems with the graphics, i.e. grey bars appearing on the screen.
    This laptop has a “Sis” graphics card, and I noted that antiX had mentioned known issues with this card.

Recently, I had the same problem with another Debian10-based distros (Rpi Desktop for x86), so I’m assuming it’s a Debian10 issue, and therefore not
    a problem arising with the antiX19 software itself – is this correct? Is it a resolvable problem or is it one that we’re stuck with ?

Many thanks in advance for your comments

It’s a kernel problem rather than a Debian one. There are resources online to show which kernel version you might need based on exactly what your graphics are. It’s unlikely that there will be automatic support in any newer distro I’m afraid.

Chris

VWVW

I had a computer with SIS Motherboard/graphics that I kept running for years because a German (I think) guy named Thomas Winischhofer made the necessary drivers. He had his own web-site. He retired/died/got married or otherwise ceased making the drivers so three years ago I reluctantly scrapped that motherboard. You can use it as a non-X machine, but there isn’t any graphics drivers coming any more.

I found this at SIS support telling you which drivers are, or are not, supported for Linux although they seem to be using kernels 2.4….. and we’re now using 5 series.

I also found git file amd these instructions. This github appears to mention the aforementioned Thomas Winischhofer. Good luck with it!

Update: I forgot about sisctrl. You also need the program sisctrl and the drivers xf86-video-sisusb and xf86-video-sisimedia.

Now I remember why I had my machine running on arch

Also, reading that, you also need some kernel modules, and anti might need to know that if he’s compiling you a kernel for this machine.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by VW.

Never trust anybody who is too sophisticated to own a rubber chicken.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.