antiX19b2: slim doesn't start at boot

Forum Forums antiX-development Development antiX19b2: slim doesn't start at boot

This topic contains 22 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by JayM Aug 22-10:25 pm.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    JayM

xorg=default, xorg=safe and F4-nosavestate didn’t help. Neither did F4-toram.

Bootchart of a failed start (persist_all):

Bootchart of a successful start (frugal_static):

By the way, antiX 17.4’s live USB boots just fine on this computer. GUI and all.

Edit: I selected failsafe boot from the boot menu and deleted all other boot options except for nomodeset-failsafe. The last thing I saw before getting a black screen that lasted for three minutes (no blinking cursor in the upper-left corner, just a plain black screen) was Starting OpenBSD Secure Shell server: sshd. After three minutes I was returned to the text boot screen where I saw these lines after the OpenBSD secure shell server line:
    Applying power save threshholds: done
    Setting battery (something) thresholds: done (I can’t read my own writing.)
    Live-restore-services: restoring service links

then it just sat there. I was able to get a console login prompt (alt+F2) and log in as demo then start the GUI with sudo slim. This is with persist_all enabled (so I could copy the boot chart image to Live-usb-storage/demo to save it.) I’ve done the same thing after all of the others where I saved bootcharts, so that’s why you’ll see that everything seemed to be working at the very far right: that was me logging in at the console and manually starting the GUI.

In case this tells you anything different than the other two images here’s my failsafe boot chart:

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by JayM.
    Xecure
    Xecure

Bumping this so it is not forgotten.

I really can’t understand how to find clues with the graphs (sorry, can’t help).

I am interested in learning, though, so if someone can interpret and find the bug reason, and explain just a bit on where to look, it would be very interesting.

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    rokytnji

I’ll bump it also because I cannot read this in imgbb

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

JayM

I’ll bump it also because I cannot read this in imgbb

Right-click on it, choose “view image”, then left-click on that to see it full-size.

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    rokytnji

Colored graph lines are beyond my pay grade to interpret into detailed code. I did what you suggested before I even bumped the thread. Did not mention it because maybe I am missing something?

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

JayM

Colored graph lines are beyond my pay grade to interpret into detailed code. I did what you suggested before I even bumped the thread. Did not mention it because maybe I am missing something?

They’re kind of cool to look at though, huh? I have no idea what they’re telling me either, other than showing that 3-minute delay when it’s trying to start the GUI. But BitJam asked for them so I provided them.

It’s not a boot issue per se because antiX does boot, it just doesn’t open a GUI desktop until after I’ve logged in at the console. FY everyone’s I, I’ve tried every permutation available on the boot menu except all of the different console sizes (I tried 800×600 once, no help.) I’ve tried safe video, failsafe boot, nomodeset, plus everything else that was suggested. To reiterate: it boots fine after I run the installer and install it, and it boots fine into a frugal install, it just fails (to start the GUI) when booting from the USB.I had the same issue with beta 1. It always fails with the 64-bit version but every once in a while I get the GUI when I boot the 32-bit one, but usually it fails too. One or two other people were having the same issue per their posts in one of the threads in the antiX board on the MX forum but I can’t find their posts right now, so my concern is that if this isn’t addressed in the beta stage somehow it may carry over into the release, and a handful of people are going to have the issue when booting from their installation medium.

From the bootcharts it looks like slim is actually starting and running but it can’t start the Radeon X server at that point in the boot sequence or at that particular runlevel, which explains why it works at the single-user runlevel after a console login. Yet it works after the system’s been installed? Maybe a timing issue for when slim starts and it needs a delay in the boot sequence right before it tries to start the X server? I’m out of ideas.

JayM

BTW I also selected different window managers at the boot screen. No change.

JayM

I don’t know what was changed but it’s working flawlessly in antiX 19b3. Thanks, devs.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.