AntiX21+LXDE

Forum Forums General Screenshots AntiX21+LXDE

• This topic has 29 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated Dec 30-2:48 am by olsztyn.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Ge Chin Pun

Added.
      LXDE+PCmanfm
      Bleachbit
      Tesseract+gimagereader
      GDebi
      Abiword
      Gnumeric
      WPS-office

Removed
      Libreoffice

link to distro
      http://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1IEYbwpY4LsHXbH2wNhFTnQjoLErssYCp

Attachments:
      ModdIt

Hi, Looks interesting
        After using ICEWM LXDE feels very sluggish though. Panel at top and dock bottom
        visually somewhat irritating as some applicationj starters duplicated. Maybe
        setting top panel to autohide would result in a more appealing impression.

GDEBI is not a reccomended application, it can cause a lot of fails in antiX.

have fun with your project.

banned

Hello Ge Chin Pun,

Good to find another user of AntiX LXDE+PCManFM

Have you seen any proof anywhere that our LXDE+PCManFM is actually sluggish on the same base OS? In my experience over some years of trying different distros I would say it’s the fastest distro+desktop out there. Of course using simple PCManFM instead of opening multiple windows needed by other WMs, PCManFM gets the job done efficiently in one window – even as root.

Here are a couple of Trisquel screenshots from my other laptop; an old Dell Latitude E6420 i7 with 8GiB RAM. Guess AntiX LXDE is just as efficient and fast?

First picture live distro unstressed with one window plus terminal.

Second picture attempting to stress installation a little – as you can see video on webpage is actually playing with Gimp and other stuff loaded with files. No Problemo..!

BobC

Test and time the same sequence of steps performing functions normally done on both distros on the same machine running from the same drive.

That should give you an honest appraisal. Publish the inxi -Fxz and results, regardless of which wins.

For performance optimization, I use my slowest 64 bit machine. I suppose a 32 bit machine would be slower still, but I don’t use those day to day so its not really a valid test for my use case.

banned

on the same machine running from the same drive.

Hey Bob, I think you and I agree that testing on the same machine and drive creates the level playing required for any comparative tests 🙂 fully installed; of course 🙂

Do not know if you twigged that I had done just that on that contentious Welcome post of mine?

Publish the inxi -Fxz and results

What interests you in the results from this command – I don’t understand, sorry.

Anyhow here are the two screenshots again – it is obvious which is which..!

After the first LXDE screenshot I logged out and then logged back in under RoxIceWM and ran the same free -h command in the same terminal and took a screenshot… What do you think – Is that the fairest test so far?

BTW – would like to speak to you about your performance video – why did you add more than you deleted – for example?
              Will post over there if I can find it again.

Cheers Bob – thanks again, talk soon 🙂

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by banned.
              olsztyn

After the first LXDE screenshot I logged out and then logged back in under RoxIceWM and ran the same free -h command in the same terminal and took a screenshot… What do you think – Is that the fairest test so far?

Timestamp indicates these appear to be authentic images, assuming they are produced on the same machine, which seems a great result for LXDE in terms of memory footprint. In my experimentation with LXDE I was not able to reduce memory footprint this much. It was typically about 100M more for LXDE.
                Question:
                How did you install LXDE on antiX? From Control Centre –> Software –> Package installer or separately?
                Part of my LXDE memory footprint difference was that Openbox alone required more memory footprint than IceWM or JWM.
                I am just curious how you get this footprint this low…

My second question:
                Were you able to resolve various inconsistencies in menus, such as various menu items resulted in ‘Function not supported’ in my experience…
                Thanks.

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
                http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

banned

Timestamp indicates these appear to be authentic images, assuming they are produced on the same machine

Hope you are not questioning my honesty – I am 100% honest.
                  As I said….

After the first LXDE screenshot I logged out and then logged back in under RoxIceWM and ran the same free -h command in the same terminal and took a screenshot…

How did you install LXDE on antiX? From Control Centre –> Software –> Package installer or separately?

Then you say…

Part of my LXDE memory footprint difference was that Openbox alone required more memory footprint than IceWM or JWM.

How come you doubters never publish time stamped terminal free -h full screenshots to support their claims for whatever?
                  Luckily you can search screenshots to enjoy and wallpapers to enjoy here on this forum and all distro forums – shocking real world results – not make believe…

I am just curious how you get this footprint this low…

If you read all my posts you should know by now 🙂
                  Perhaps BobC can produce another excellent video?

Hope you do not find this screenshot to shocking for AntiX-22 Full plus Gimp installed 🙂
                  If you take away the 22.6MiB ram used by the Task Manager we get to 146MiB RAM used on my old HP G60 laptop.

Cheers

Forum Admin
                  anticapitalista

My quick test.
                    Both are pretty awesome in terms of low RAM use.
                    Use whatever you like.
                    Enjoy antiX!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by anticapitalista.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

olsztyn

Hope you are not questioning my honesty – I am 100% honest.

I am not questioning. I am confirming it looks legit from what I can see. And I understand you logged of and on to IceWM, so comparison is oranges to oranges.
                      I will go back to your prior posts to see if I can figure out how you achieved such low memory footprint. It is much better for LXDE than what is shown in snapshots produced by anticapitalista. This is what is interesting and I want to figure this out how you accomplished this. Screenshots of the results do not tell how it was done…

How come you doubters never publish time stamped terminal free -h full screenshots to support their claims for whatever?

I am not a doubter. Not questioning your results. I am just curious. If I figure out how to accomplish this I will play with this further.

Currently I am running JWM optimally configured in terms of both functionality and aesthetics. Not even IceWM… Simplicity and rock solid reliability is my preference in making DE choices. And nothing beats JWM in these criteria for day-to-day operation. But I also test and experiment with other DEs, although as more complex DE becomes there are more moving parts in the OS composition to keep it reliable and rock solid.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by olsztyn.

BobC

I will have to look at the video. Too many lines of code since then.

As for test, the best way is to start each round with a cold boot so I’m sure I’m measuring apples vs apples.

Openbox is probably my 2nd favorite window manager. It takes about 5 or 10 mb more than IceWM once you add tint2 for a panel.

The killer for my machines is Xorg.

olsztyn

Added.
                          LXDE+PCmanfm
                          Bleachbit
                          Tesseract+gimagereader

@ Ge Chin Pun:
                          I missed your original post from Sept. 4.
                          Now, that Andy brought this to attention I downloaded the ISO and briefly played a bit with this LXDE antiX. Well put together. Congrats! It is 32 bit but similarly I will try with 64 bit composition.
                          Interesting software choice too!
                          Thanks…

banned

Can’t tell you how pleased I am with your AntiX-22 – beyond 5 Star does not cut it 🙂

So fast and utterly stable with my old HP laptop 🙂

Can’t understand why you switched from RoxTerm to Arch’s urxtv to show LXDE Ram usage screenshot – Have you been a naughty boy? (Joke; Monty Python)

Is urxvt a heavy hitter as in this guy’s screenshot? – Wo bro; is that 7.53GiB plus 2.0Gib SWAP – OMG….!!!! 🙂

http://darmawan-salihun.blogspot.com/2015/02/fullscreen-urxvt-in-arch-linux-fluxbox.html

Ps: Trust you know “I’m the Slime” by FZ

Forum Admin
                            anticapitalista

Actually urxvt uses less RAM than roxterm (on my box)
                              I made lxde appear lighter than it really was 🙂

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by anticapitalista. Reason: more info

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

banned

As for test, the best way is to start each round with a cold boot so I’m sure I’m measuring apples vs apples.

Quite right Bob – I would add; on the same machine, same base OS with same software installed.

The killer for my machines is Xorg.

I love Xorg – it makes my laptop fly so fast – 🙂 and so stable – never a glitch 🙂

http://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Xorg

Xorg (commonly referred to as simply X) is the most popular display server among Linux users. Its ubiquity has led to making it an ever-present requisite for GUI applications, resulting in massive adoption from most distributions.

BobC

In terms of “killer”, I was saying that it seems to be the largest consumer of memory among the programs that run at idle on most of my machines.

PS: On your test scenario, it should have the software loaded that it would be expected to run. LXDE cannot be tested from the same partition as IceWM. Each should be built with the same OS and options up to the point before LXDE gets installed. Adding LDXE would taint a test of IceWM because installing it might affect how IceWM runs.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by BobC.
                                Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.