AntiX21+LXDE

Forum Forums General Screenshots AntiX21+LXDE

• This topic has 29 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated Dec 30-2:48 am by olsztyn.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    olsztyn

Actually urxvt uses less RAM than roxterm (on my box)
      I made lxde appear lighter than it really was

Wow…
      I was not paying attention to which terminal was used… Looks like anticapitalista is tweaking measurements to make look your LXDE more memory tight…
      URXVT has definitely smaller memory footprint than ROXterm after all. I am using mostly URXVT for that reason, functionality being more or less the same.

I have a feeling that anticapitalista seriously plans to include LXDE as one of available and supported desktops for antiX. IMHO this would make sense to have such option to embrace Linux users for whom this would look like a mainstream, most efficient DE, if current WMs are for them too much of a minimalistic shift. Personally I would like such option to have although after playing quite a bit with LXDE yesterday I still stick to my choice of JWM, as most logical and most elegant, not having discovered in LXDE anything to outweigh the intelligent design and simplicity of JWM. I have not ended my experimentation with LXDE though yet…

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
      http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

Forum Admin
      anticapitalista

@olsztyn – I have no intention of providing an ‘official’ lxde version of antiX.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

mikey777

@olsztyn – you can install the LXDE desktop into antiX21, from the cli-aptiX app. Below, is a screenshot from this app showing all the desktops available for antiX, and you’ll see LXDE is one of them. I’ve been using antiX19 and subsequently antiX21 with LXDE as my main desktop for a while now. It works very smoothly, being easy to work with – it’s my favourite desktop.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by mikey777.

▪ 32-bit antix19.4-core (SysV init)+LXDE legacy install on :
          - (2011) Samsung NP-N145 Plus (JP04UK) – single-core CPU Intel Atom N455@1.66GHz, 2GB RAM, integrated graphics.
          ▪ 64-bit antix21-base (SysV init)+LXDE legacy install on:
          - (2008) Asus X71Q (7SC002) – dual CPU Intel T3200@2.0GHz, 4GB RAM. Intel Mobile 4 Series, integrated graphics
          - (2007) Packard Bell Easynote MX37 (ALP-Ajax C3) – dual CPU Intel T2310@1.46GHz, 2GB RAM. SiS Graphics

olsztyn

@olsztyn – you can install the LXDE desktop into antiX21, from the cli-aptiX app.

I know. Thank you. However, having tested LXDE, it appears it is not my optimal choice. Nothing there seems to outweigh the elegant and intelligent design of JWM.
            All I was saying was that it might have appeal to some users for whom it may look like one of a mainstream DEs they are familiar with, so more likely to embrace antiX as their system of choice and not look at antiX as the lightweight minimal.

olsztyn

@olsztyn – I have no intention of providing an ‘official’ lxde version of antiX.

Understood. I was under impression of the past idea of adding Mate as option for antiX. I do not miss any of those DEs though. The more complexity imposed by DEs (sometimes artificially) the more moving parts in the system infrastructure to affect system stability and reliability and larger window open to bugs and inconsistencies.

Ge Chin Pun

After nuclear war we will be deprived of fresh distros, repositories and mirrors)))). I offer all-in-full distro, 64bit. Antix21,LXDE.
                Enjoy. Sorry, trashcan as full-function application is absent.

http://drive.google.com/file/d/1NlKGVoBn9TiiPY-opMp4IlKmpPT4hBxp/view?usp=sharing

Attachments:
                PPC

After nuclear war

That’s dark, even for me!

But a all-in-one “ISO” is a nice idea (not for me personally, but generally speaking)… Also, a Trash can can be easily implemented in zzzfm (antiX’s secondary GUI File Manager), if you want that functionality.

P.

olsztyn

After nuclear war we will be deprived of fresh distros, repositories and mirrors)))). I offer all-in-full distro, 64bit. Antix21,LXDE.
                    Enjoy. Sorry, trashcan as full-function application is absent.

Nice job Ge Chin Pun…
                    I played with this and in fact I am writing this post from LXDE session of your All-In-1 antiX…
                    Perhaps this is what those recently coming from Windows need, your LXDE instantiation of antiX. It seems all what those coming from Windows need is here. And it all is in aesthetic and logical way customized in terms of look and feel, not a crude and inconsistent implementation!
                    In fact you have extended antiX with a Fifth desktop, which is worth of ‘official’ adoption and would make those coming from Windows happy…
                    I should mention that LXDE desktop appears to take about 100M more memory footprint than JWM, which I am using by default.

olsztyn

Can’t tell you how pleased I am with your AntiX-22 – beyond 5 Star does not cut it

Earlier in this thread anticapitalista provided some benchmarks in relation to Andy’s implementation of LXDE in antiX, although later stated no plans for a formal addition to antiX:

My quick test.
                      Both are pretty awesome in terms of low RAM use.
                      Use whatever you like.
                      Enjoy antiX!

Andy is since showing up in this forum under the new ‘banned’ username but since this thread originated from Ge Chin Pun, this ISO is good to originate an ‘official’ antiX All-In-1 spin…
                      Thank you Ge Chin Pun…

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by olsztyn.

Forum Admin
                      anticapitalista

Shame it uses elogind though

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

olsztyn

Shame it uses elogind though

Yes, indeed… I forgot about it. Inconsistent with antiX 22 strategy…

Forum Admin
                          anticapitalista

antiX 22 and beyond will not default to using anything from systemd/elogind.
                            elogind is still in our repos though for those that want to install a desktop environment.
                            Almost all of them are packaged in Debian (and upstream) to *require* systemd/elogind.
                            I no longer have any intention of trying to de-systemd/elogind any desktop environment.

olsztyn

I’ve been using antiX19 and subsequently antiX21 with LXDE as my main desktop for a while now. It works very smoothly, being easy to work with – it’s my favourite desktop.

Actual experience from mikey777 with antiX with such implementation of LXDE desktop as his favorite desktop means something to me…
                              Now, combining with my observation of a large number of packages modified by anticapitalista showing in antiX 22 SID, which appears to be mostly for keeping antiX 22 elogind-free, which seems an enormous task on on-going basis:
                              Is it worth pursuing this elogind-free strategy and expect so much effort from anticapitalista, who soon may not be in his twenties anymore?
                              Just a thought, although I am a fan of elogind-free strategy…

Update:
                              This my above note crossed in the air with the preceding note from anticapitalista, who provided his ultimate decision.

techore

antiX 22 and beyond will not default to using anything from systemd/elogind.

Thank you.

olsztyn

I no longer have any intention of trying to de-systemd/elogind any desktop environment.

This clearly tells me that such intention was there but no longer is. This is understandable considering such successful implementation of antiX 22, which is elogind-free and no particular need for any ‘Desktop Environment’.
                                  Since this thread is about LXDE antiX implemented by Ge Chin Pun as the Fifth desktop of antiX: Unfortunately the LXDE introduces the alien-to-antiX22 requirement of libelogind0, which is not consistent with antiX 22 strategy.

Having said the above preamble I just want to mention that the most important essence of LXDE, which is Openbox + LXpanel nicely integrates with antiX 22 strategy as elogind-free Fifth desktop. As additional benefit of not implementing the entire LXDE caboodle is that the redundant PCmanfm file manager is not installed.

So having started from my Full antiX 22 SID runit, I added the Fifth antiX desktop, being the afore mentioned essential part of LXDE (Openbox + LXpanel), and in such manner implemented the concept originated by Ge Chin Pun, the initiator of this thread, but in manner consistent with elogind-free antiX 22 strategy.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.