[SOLVED] antixcoreLXDE: issues with playing music CD

Forum Forums General Hardware [SOLVED] antixcoreLXDE: issues with playing music CD

• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated Dec 24-5:24 am by mikey777.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    mikey777

I would like to play music CDs on a Dell Latitude D630, which has an antiX19core-LXDE setup.
      The main issue is when I insert a music CD into the R/RW DVD drive, an onscreen error notification pops up with the message “Location is not mountable”. There is no autoplay with the Rhythmbox media player, following insertion of the CD.

If I replace Rhythmbox with VLC media player, I get the same error notification as described. However, I can play the CD if I select audio-CD from the VLC’s settings, but the DVD-drive spins the CD at what must be maximum speed – of course this is very noisy and spoils the music listening experience.

Many thanks to anyone who knows how to fix this …

PS. This is how the fstab file looks:

# Pluggable devices are handled by uDev, they are not in fstab
      UUID=f13e7642-12c7-4820-94c9-1bdce5116c2b / ext4 defaults,relatime 0 1
      # Added by make-fstab /dev/cdrom
      /dev/cdrom                                 /media/cdrom                                iso9660    noauto,exec,users,ro            0 0
      # Added by make-fstab /dev/cdrw
      /dev/cdrw                                  /media/cdrw                                 iso9660    noauto,exec,users,rw            0 0
      # Added by make-fstab /dev/dvd
      /dev/dvd                                   /media/dvd                                  udf        noauto,exec,users,ro            0 0
      # Added by make-fstab /dev/dvdrw
      /dev/dvdrw                                 /media/dvdrw                                udf        noauto,exec,users,rw            0 0
      # Added by make-fstab /dev/sr0
      /dev/sr0                                   /media/sr0                                  auto       noauto,exec,users,ro            0 0
      • This topic was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by mikey777.

▪ 32-bit antix19.4-core (SysV init)+LXDE legacy install on :
      - (2011) Samsung NP-N145 Plus (JP04UK) – single-core CPU Intel Atom N455@1.66GHz, 2GB RAM, integrated graphics.
      ▪ 64-bit antix21-base (SysV init)+LXDE legacy install on:
      - (2008) Asus X71Q (7SC002) – dual CPU Intel T3200@2.0GHz, 4GB RAM. Intel Mobile 4 Series, integrated graphics
      - (2007) Packard Bell Easynote MX37 (ALP-Ajax C3) – dual CPU Intel T2310@1.46GHz, 2GB RAM. SiS Graphics

VW

You could try using Mp3blaster instead. This is a command line app included in antiX. All you need to make it work is an mp3blasterrc but I’ve forgotten how to make it but this is explained in man.mp3blaster.

Of course, this only plays mp3s, so I’ll go back to sleep now, shall I?

“These are the times that try men's souls" - Thomas Paine

mikey777

@VW
          That looks interesting. The only problem is that I’m setting this up on my sister’s laptop – it’s best she has a gui-based system as she’s a beginner to linux, though I might have a look at this later for myself. Thanks VM – hope you got some sleep!

I’ve added the fstab file info to the original post to give extra information.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by mikey777.

- (2011) Samsung NP-N145 Plus (JP04UK) – single-core CPU Intel Atom N455@1.66GHz, 2GB RAM, integrated graphics.
          - (2008) Asus X71Q (7SC002) – dual CPU Intel T3200@2.0GHz, 4GB RAM. Intel Mobile 4 Series, integrated graphics
          - (2007) Packard Bell Easynote MX37 (ALP-Ajax C3) – dual CPU Intel T2310@1.46GHz, 2GB RAM. SiS Graphics

ModdIt

Pls try Menu section Settings Automount configuration.
            Tick automount box in the configuration window for music player on disk insertion.

My Audio Disk command is /usr/bin/vlc cdda:///dev/sr0
            For another player change command as required.

Your device may not be sr0, you can check with lsblk in console
            Mine looks like this so sr0 is needed
            sda 8:0 0 465,8G 0 disk
            ├─sda1 8:1 0 221,7G 0 part
            └─sda2 8:2 0 244,1G 0 part /media/Archive_Longterm
            sdb 8:16 0 223,6G 0 disk
            ├─sdb1 8:17 0 48,8G 0 part /
            ├─sdb2 8:18 0 4G 0 part [SWAP]
            ├─sdb3 8:19 0 83G 0 part /media/file_storage
            └─sdb4 8:20 0 83G 0 part /media/archive_one
            sr0 11:0 1 638,3M 0 rom

mikey777

@Moddit
              @VW
              Many thanks to you both – really appreciate your help & interest.

SOLVED! :-)
              I finally solved it by using Clementine (my favourite media player in the past).
              Under Clementine’s ‘Devices’ category the CD icon is displayed, clicking on the icon shows the list of music tracks, clicking ‘play button’ just once, will make each track play automatically, one after the other to the end of the CD. Unlike the noisy rapid speed of the DVD drive experienced when using VLC (mentioned above), it turns at a quieter more normal speed with Clementine.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.