antiXscreenshot2 to be translated at Transifex

Forum Forums antiX-development Translations antiXscreenshot2 to be translated at Transifex

• This topic has 11 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated Sep 25-1:15 pm by BobC.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Wallon

Dear Translators,

Someone well known on the forum has put a new project for translation in antiX-contribs.

If you have any difficulties with the translations, feel free to come to this thread and ask your questions.

I didn’t see this new program in the antiX package installer. How to test this new program?

Best regards,
    Wallon

marcelocripe
    Helpful
    Up
    ::

I didn’t see this new program in the antiX package installer. How to test this new program?

The antixscreenshot2 is available from Robin’s GitLab.

Robin
    Helpful
    Up

Hello Wallon, hello Marcelo!

Many thanks for the announcement. I hadn’t time to do it until now 🙂
    Yes, this resource was prepared for translation finally. BobC and me have worked on it together.

How to test this new program?

The translations on transifex are for the most recent version 1.08c on gitlab, but for this there still doesn’t exist an installer package. This will come as soon all translations are ready.

So just for now download and install one of the 1.08b installer packages (this makes sure all prerequisites are properly in place; without completing these installation steps the script will fail).
    After this, upgrade by downloading the 1.08c scriptfile directly, put it into the /usr/local/bin folder, overwriting the previous 1.08b version of antixscreenshot2. There is a German test translation already present as .mo file for 1.08c, which was created to make sure everything works as expected. So you can use the German translation (.po file and also on transifex) as reference, e.g. how to handle line breaks, indention, typographic emphasis etc. when translating to your language. It is highly ambitious not to break the design this time, but from the testing area we know it is manageable. It’s a bit like the strong and slow boring of hard boards…

Hint: read the install instructions from the help window (screenshots) below first, before starting. If any questions, here’s the right place for them, as you’ve already said.

The main difference between antiXscreenshot2 ver. 1.08b and ver. 1.08c is actually the updated help window. Mostly nothing else has changed. And here you are the screenshots, so you can read this text beforehand, the install process is described in detail. (But please consider the different version count in filenames (1.08c → 1.08b) when following the install instructions from below.)

antiXscreenshot2 help window 01
    antiXscreenshot2 help window 02
    antiXscreenshot2 help window 03
    antiXscreenshot2 help window 04
    antiXscreenshot2 help window 05
    antiXscreenshot2 help window 06
    antiXscreenshot2 help window 07
    antiXscreenshot2 help window 08
    antiXscreenshot2 help window 09
    antiXscreenshot2 help window 10
    antiXscreenshot2 help window 11
    antiXscreenshot2 help window 12
    antiXscreenshot2 help window 13
    antiXscreenshot2 help window 14
    antiXscreenshot2 help window 15
    antiXscreenshot2 help window 16
    antiXscreenshot2 help window 17
    antiXscreenshot2 help window 18

On transifex this time you’ll find links to some more screenshots of the antiXscreenshot2 GUI so you can easily look up (or at least guess in case it is hidden in a pulldown menu) where a specific string is located.

BobC will run the automatic translation script on this resource soon (the .pot file needs to be specially prepared (marked) for this fist), so manual translation will be fine tuning and improving. As usually, no already translated strings will get touched or overwritten by the machine translation.

So long
    Happy translating!

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

Robin
    Helpful
    Up

And here some additional images how the GUI looks like:

Default »Main Dialog« of antiXscreenshot2
    Default »Action Dialog« of antiXscreenshot2

The antiXscreenshot2 program is highly flexible configurable, you don’t need to follow a specific workflow but you can set it to your personal predilection.

marcelocripe
    Helpful
    Up

BobC will run the automatic translation script on this resource soon (the .pot file needs to be specially prepared (marked) for this fist), so manual translation will be fine tuning and improving. As usually, no already translated strings will get touched or overwritten by the machine translation.

Please BobC, this time don’t include the automatic translation of pt_BR. I have “antixscreenshot2” under control, if I enter new translated texts, I will lose my control.

– – – – –

Por favor, BobC, desta vez nĂŁo inclua a tradução automática do pt_BR. Eu tenho o “antixscreenshot2” sob controle, se entrar novos textos traduzidos, eu perderei o meu controle.

Robin
    Helpful
    Up

Some fresh translations available on transifex and also converted to .mo file type for use:

Greek (.mo file)
    Belgian French (.mo file)
    Italian (.mo file)

These are in many parts machine translations and need proofreading and fixing of line breaks/indention both. But they already work basically with the antiXscreenshot2 script as you can see here:

Greek language, main dialog’s »Screenshot« tab:
    greek-main-dialog-antixscreenshot2

Greek language, main dialog’s »Advanced settings« tab:
    greek-main-dialog-advanced-antixscreenshot2

Italian language, main dialog’s Screenshot« tab)
    italian-main-dialog-antixscreenshot2
    Italian GUI looks perfect, special thanks to the Italian translation team!

Italian language, main dialog’s »Advanced settings« tab:
    italian-main-dialog-advanced-antixscreenshot2

Belgian French language, console help« tab)
    italian-main-dialog-advanced-antixscreenshot2

Please, be careful when editing translations and make sure to close a tag used for typographic emphasis once it was opened:

<i>…</i>
    <u>…</u>

A single opening tag with the closing one missing will break functionality and either antiXscreenshot2 or its GUI help message window will refuse to come up at all in your language.

Happy translating!
    Robin

Wallon
    Helpful
    Up

Dear translators,

I am not happy. It’s rare when this happens to me, but here I feel like I’m wasting my time.

The file is not easy to translate. There are some strange things.

The first thing is that the robot that translated the sentences did a bad job. This is often because of compiler instructions like “\n\t” which are in the sentences. There are missing verbs in the sentences or it’s just nonsense.
    I know it’s not the developer’s fault and it’s the robot’s fault.

The second thing is the layout of the sentences in English. I find at Transifex many sentences that start with a word followed by the instruction “\n\t”.
    Which
    writes like
    that even in English?

Example with the string #247 in English:
    “A\n\tcheck and correction can be made in the “Action” dialog after the screenshot\n\tis taken.”

Also, I can’t find the English correspondence between the Transifex sentences and the English *.png files that are in the Transifex developer’s comments.

Should I stop translating this mess? Was the layout of the English sentences checked before putting the file at Transifex and after Transifex?

I’m sending out an SOS.
    I know that the work done by the developers is enormous but I am lost in front of all these strange things.

Wallon

Robin
    Helpful
    Up

Hello Wallon,
    let me try to bring some light in this dark.

I’m sorry you encounter that heavy problems on this resource. I admit (and said so some postings above alreday) this text actually is ambitious to translate.

I can’t find the English correspondence between the Transifex sentences and the English *.png files that are in the Transifex developer’s comments.

In the first place: The English sentences should always belong to the screenshot found in the very entry on transifex. In rare cases it might be they are not visible if some words are hidden in a pulldown menu or in so called “tooltips”. But in particular when it’s about the help text (entries 198 to 494) every English sentence should be visible in the very screenshot linked from the respective entry. If I missed to correlate the proper screenshot in a specific entry, please let me know it’s number then I can fix it.

But there are some things (also described within the notes of each string) which can make you life and understanding easier.
    All the

\n
    \\n
    \n\t
    \\n\\t
    \n\t\t
    \\n\\t\\t

are actually line breaks and indentions. Sometimes they are to be followed by a specific number of blanks (2,4 or 6 additional blanks after the last t, depending on what sequence is found in the original entry). By default no (zero, 0) blanks are between the sequence and the sorrounding text, which renders words looking funny sometimes when looking at the entry on transifex.
    And since this is continuous/running text, they need to be placed by the translator in the proper position when checking the visible result after translation on lingual level was done.

Since the French .mo file is technically working already (see posting above), you can check out the display of (recent state of) french translation live on your system.

Which
    writes like
    that even in English?

Example with the string #247 in English:
    “A\n\tcheck and correction can be made in the “Action” dialog after the screenshot\n\tis taken.”

Let’s analyse. Check out the 4th sreenshot of help text from my posting above (which should be the very same as linked within the string instructions of entry #247 on transifex. Sorry, can’t stem to mark each sentence individually on the screenshots, this would require hundreds of edited screenshots…): In line 3 you’ll see the

“A”

being the very last word of the line, the next line reading

“check and correction can be made in the “Action” dialog after the screenshot”

and the last two words of the sentence

is taken.

are found on the start of following line again.

Example string 247

(Plese note the complete paragraphe which this sentence is part of is indented, so this is why the additional //t is needed after the line break //n here. And even when in original po file //n//t is present, transifex online editor will show you only /n/t for some reason, while poedit or geany when offline editing shows properly //n//t. Don’t get confused by this difference in display.)

So that is why the English original has these line breaks in this very position, even when it seems a bit weird when only looking on the isolated sencence as found in an entry. And this is why the screenshots have been attached.
    Since after translation the position of line breaks won’t match anymore, due to different wording and different sentence length, and thus you as translator will have to place them accordingly in your translation so the text will appear formated properly in the dialog window. Unfortunately there is no way around.

There are missing verbs in the sentences or it’s just nonsense.

Yes, you are right. Google translate is the culprit here. This is why we call it a raw translation only, meant to save you some workload of manually copying string by string to a browser window and back to the translation editor window to get these raw translations. In many cases you’ll find the proper line break and indention sequences already in the translation (but often or never in the proper position, and please always check the number of blanks which doesn’t match with the original probably). So after having fixed the lingual aspects of the translation of an entry, just move these sequences to the position which is needed in your language to make the output look similar to the original screenshot.

I’ll try to create an example for this on a sentence once you have fixed the lingual aspects and turned the sentences into proper french.
    But for now just compare the German translation at transifex, in which all the line breaks and indentions are set in the proper position for this language already. From this example you’ll get an idea of the way these formatting sequences are to be handled.

e.g. Entry 247 in German language reads:

\\n\\tEine ĂśberprĂĽfung und Korrektur kann nach der Aufnahme
    im »Aktionsdialog« vorge-\\n\\tnommen werden.

As you can see, the position of the line break and indention sequences have moved slightly. If your translated sentence uses more words in a sentence you even might need to add an additional instance of these sequence, using the very same pattern as found in this paragraphe. Then you’ll have to move the position of them in following entries accordingly. They are meant to be moved around, added or removed as needed by translators to make the display fit, this is why we can’t simply cut them out in the original strings.

Btw, same care is needed for the typographic emphasis tags like <i>…</i>, <u>…</u>, <b>…</b>. They must stay intact as a pair always, otherwise the help dialog will stay blank completely. A single error of these tags in a single entry of help text will break it already. We have made sure the raw translation works technically as per this aspect. (As you might have guessed: u means underlined text, b is bold and i stands for italics). Simply apply them to your translation as found in the original.

Hope this help, a bit at least.
    If you’d like to have some more detailed support for this translation, dont hesitate to join #antiX-translators channel at IRC.

Many greetings
    Robin.

P.S.:

Was the layout of the English sentences checked before putting the file at Transifex and after Transifex?

Yes, I assure you, all these entries are double checked. This is why I did the German test translation already, to make sure everything works as expected.

marcelocripe
    Helpful
    Up

Hello Wallon.

Chatting via HexChat can save you a lot of time.

I intend to do the following sequence:

1 – Finish translating the “antixscreenshot2” feature during this week.
    2 – Download the resource file “antixscreenshot2” in pt-BR.
    3 – Convert the .po to .mo and paste it in my language folder.
    4 – Test the translation, analyze how the text was in the graphical interface, make the adjustments in the .po file and convert to .mo as many times as necessary until the texts have a nice and pleasant appearance to be read in the graphical interface.
    5- Send the changes to Transifex.

Today I need to help Vania due to the topic Problems after updating antiX 19.3, I may not be able to connect to HexChat today.

– – – – –

Olá Wallon.

A conversa via HexChat poderá economizar muito do seu tempo.

Eu pretendo fazer a seguinte sequĂŞncia:

1 – Finalizar a tradução do recurso “antixscreenshot2” durante esta semana.
    2 – Baixar o arquivo do recurso “antixscreenshot2” em pt-BR.
    3 – Converter o .po para .mo e colar na pasta do meu idioma.
    4 – Testar a tradução, analisar como o texto ficou na interface gráfica, fazer os ajustes no arquivo .po e converter para .mo quantas vezes forem necessárias atĂ© os textos ficarem com uma aparĂŞncia bonita e agradável de serem lidos na interface gráfica.
    5- Enviar as alterações para o Transifex.

Hoje eu preciso ajudar a Vania devido o tĂłpico Problems after updating antiX 19.3, talvez hoje eu nĂŁo consiga me conectar no HexChat.

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

Marcelo, The translator is running. It’s in the E or F languages now.

I don’t know how to tell it to skip pt-BR

Robin
    Helpful
    Up

I don’t know how to tell it to skip pt-BR

As I’ve told you via Email, simply by commenting out the respective line in the “Sprachen.lst” file.
    But don’t worry, this was done for pt_BR already in the version I’ve sent you for processing, since I’ve had read Marcelos request here before and changed this setting accordingly. So everything will be fine.

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

Ok, thanks. I was worried if it could be done safely while its running

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.