Any plans for antix with arm-CPUs?

Forum Forums General Hardware Any plans for antix with arm-CPUs?

Tagged: , , ,

• This topic has 6 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated Jun 15-4:33 pm by PPC.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    mikey777

Just a quickie – are there any plans afoot in the antix community to develop an antix version that would be compatible with arm chips?
      Thanks

▪ 32-bit antix19.4-core (SysV init)+LXDE legacy install on :
      - (2011) Samsung NP-N145 Plus (JP04UK) – single-core CPU Intel Atom N455@1.66GHz, 2GB RAM, integrated graphics.
      ▪ 64-bit antix21-base (SysV init)+LXDE legacy install on:
      - (2008) Asus X71Q (7SC002) – dual CPU Intel T3200@2.0GHz, 4GB RAM. Intel Mobile 4 Series, integrated graphics
      - (2007) Packard Bell Easynote MX37 (ALP-Ajax C3) – dual CPU Intel T2310@1.46GHz, 2GB RAM. SiS Graphics

christophe

I read in an older thread that anticapitalista has no plans for a raspberry pi version.

confirmed antiX frugaler, since 2019

Brian Masinick

There are quite a few Linux distributions, including some prominent ones, that already have support for ARM processors.
          I don’t speak for the owner or the development team, I’m only a moderator here.
          Unless or until there is an announcement otherwise, the current offerings, which are extensive in providing
          multiple formats (Net, Core, Base, and Full) and multiple process initiation schemes – runit and sysvinit, with
          discussions about other alternatives possible; it seems to me that these are the priorities right now.
          If that happens to change, it’s not up to me one way or the other.

What I can share is a link to an article that shows a 2023 list of Linux distributions that
          run on the ARM architecture and a brief list of the features, advantages and disadvantages;
          for anyone interested, at least that is a potential starting point:
          http://www.slant.co/topics/5304/~linux-distributions-that-run-on-arm-architecture

--
          Brian Masinick

PPC

are there any plans afoot in the antix community to develop an antix version that would be compatible with arm chips

In short: no, as far as I know. anticapitalista already said he would not, for example, create antiX for Pi (because he has no hardware to test it on, but there may be other reasons). MXFB has an iso for PI, for example.

Brian Masinick

techore wrote:

I have pretty good success with Devuan on Raspis.

http://arm-files.devuan.org/

--
              Brian Masinick

mikey777

@Christophe @Brian Masinick @PPC

Thanks for your replies guys – the answers you gave were kind of what I expected.

I agree, Brian, that it’s not a priority as antix has already such a lot to offer.

Also, with the lower power of arm-chips they’re still a bit niche, being used mainly for specialized embedded applications rather than for more general mainstream computing needs. Given that, I think the day of the arm-chip hasn’t yet really arrived for the majority of computer users, so logically it’s not worth the investment of time & energy into developing arm-compatible OSes in any big way. That said, I am surprised by the number of linux distros that have already produced arm versions…

▪ 32-bit antix19.4-core (SysV init)+LXDE legacy install on :
                - (2011) Samsung NP-N145 Plus (JP04UK) – single-core CPU Intel Atom N455@1.66GHz, 2GB RAM, integrated graphics.
                ▪ 64-bit antix21-base (SysV init)+LXDE legacy install on:
                - (2008) Asus X71Q (7SC002) – dual CPU Intel T3200@2.0GHz, 4GB RAM. Intel Mobile 4 Series, integrated graphics
                - (2007) Packard Bell Easynote MX37 (ALP-Ajax C3) – dual CPU Intel T2310@1.46GHz, 2GB RAM. SiS Graphics

PPC

with the lower power of arm-chips they’re still a bit niche, being used mainly for specialized embedded applications rather than for more general mainstream computing needs

Well… I think Apple’s M1 CPU is ARM – I know Apple is not dominant on the desktop (hum… not even on mobile, except, maybe in the US), but not exactly “niche”. Probably, in some 5 years, lots of new laptops and desktops will be ARM based, at least is what my “crystal ball” tells me.

P.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.