Any tips on using Bluetooth?

Forum Forums General Hardware Any tips on using Bluetooth?

• This topic has 11 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated Sep 15-8:31 am by ModdIt.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Mynaardt

Hi, All!

I was just trying to figure out how to pair my hearing aids (yes, hearing aids, not headphones) to Bluetooth on my antiX install. I can do that with my Android phone, which is kind of cool. It’s just like having expensive ear buds. But anyway…

So, I decided to give this a go. I have a USB Bluetooth adaptor stuck into my laptop. That was okay. Then enabled it via the Bluetooth thing in the Applications > Preferences menu. No problems there. And when I did a scan, I got three items showing up. Which was good. BUT, they all showed up as some sort of Hexadecimal ID codes. I couldn’t tell at a glance what kind of devices the three that showed up were. And the only one I have running is my hearing aid.

Is there a trick to figuring out which device to choose? Like is there some way of finding out what code our device gives out. Or is it just trial and error?

I did find one topic addressing Bluetooth, and here are my outputs from lsub and inxi:

$ lsusb
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 04f2:b2da Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd thinkpad t430s camera
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 003: ID 0a5c:21e8 Broadcom Corp. BCM20702A0 Bluetooth 4.0
    Bus 003 Device 002: ID 046d:c52b Logitech, Inc. Unifying Receiver
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

$ inxi -Nxxx
    Network:
      Device-1: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network vendor: Lenovo driver: e1000e
        v: kernel port: 5080 bus-ID: 00:19.0 chip-ID: 8086:1502 class-ID: 0200
      Device-2: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 [Taylor Peak] driver: iwlwifi
        v: kernel pcie: speed: 2.5 GT/s lanes: 1 bus-ID: 03:00.0 chip-ID: 8086:0085
        class-ID: 0280

And I also have a screenshot of the Bluetooth window showing the devices. So, if anyone could tell me how to make sense of those

Thanks in advance for any nudges in the right direction!

• This topic was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by Mynaardt.
    Attachments:

What have the Romans ever done for us?
    Apart from: sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, fresh water, and public health?

sybok
    Helpful
    Up
    ::

Try identifying the manufacturer using device’s MAC address (the ID codes you mention): https://zsecurity.org/how-to-differ-some-devices-using-just-their-mac-address/
    I tried several web-pages on the MAC you mention but no result returned (database is probably incomplete).
    E.g. search at https://mac.lc/

And that probably explains why there is no name mentioned, just the MAC address.
    Hence I guess that try-error and keeping a written database (e.g. a text file with MAC and human-readable/understandable identifier/description) is the best way to go.

If you wish to find more results, try a web-search and narrow it to antiX forum web pages:
    bluetooth site:www.antixforum.com
    This is sometimes more efficient when searching the forum.

BTW: I am Brian and so is my wife. 🙂

ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up

Hi mynaardt,
    Please read the MAC adresses from your phone when in pairing mode or after pairing.
    @least on android real easy way to id devices.

caprea
    Helpful
    Up

Probably you need to install pulseaudio and pulseaudio-module-bluetooth for pairing and sound transfer with bluetooth.
    Please look also here,
    https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/i-cant-get-any-bluetooth-device-to-pair-with-my-pc/

Mynaardt
    Helpful
    Up

Try identifying the manufacturer using device’s MAC address (the ID codes you mention): https://zsecurity.org/how-to-differ-some-devices-using-just-their-mac-address/
    I tried several web-pages on the MAC you mention but no result returned (database is probably incomplete).
    E.g. search at https://mac.lc/

And that probably explains why there is no name mentioned, just the MAC address.
    Hence I guess that try-error and keeping a written database (e.g. a text file with MAC and human-readable/understandable identifier/description) is the best way to go.

If you wish to find more results, try a web-search and narrow it to antiX forum web pages:
    bluetooth site:www.antixforum.com
    This is sometimes more efficient when searching the forum.

BTW: I am Brian and so is my wife. 🙂

Hi Sabok:

Thanks for that; I’ll see if I can find that MAC address for the hearing aids.
    And at least “MAC address” gives me something more useful to look up than “magic numbers”.

BTW; was that Brian or Bwian?! 😀
    And let’s not forget the name of Pilates great friend in Rome, eh?
    (I always get the giggles no matter how often I see that one scene)

Apart from: sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, fresh water, and public health?

Mynaardt
    Helpful
    Up

Hi mynaardt,
    Please read the MAC adresses from your phone when in pairing mode or after pairing.
    @least on android real easy way to id devices.

Thanks for that, Moddit.

Since I seldom look for things to do with Bluetooth; do I find that MAC address in my phone’s Android settings, or elsewhere?

Thanks again for the reply.

Mynaardt
    Helpful
    Up

Probably you need to install pulseaudio and pulseaudio-module-bluetooth for pairing and sound transfer with bluetooth.
    Please look also here,
    https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/i-cant-get-any-bluetooth-device-to-pair-with-my-pc/

Thanks, caprea.
    I will look that up.

It should be pretty obvious by now that I’ve not delved into Bluetooth before, so thank you so much for the help, Everyone!

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

That article over at https://zsecurity.org/how-to-differ-some-devices-using-just-their-mac-address/ is actually pretty good; it tells us what MAC actually stands for, gives plenty of examples, and though it has quite a few technical details, it certainly gives enough pictorial detail so that users can find their MAC address (usually the vendor has it ON their devices or the material that ships with the device).

The antiX discussion referenced also provides plenty of additional details and suggestions. I recommend taking the time to at least be able to find a MAC address and provide it where needed; understanding it is optional.

Brian Masinick

ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up

Hi Mynaardt,
    when bluetooth device and phone is in pairing mode: my phone shows me the MAC adress and asks if I want to pair
    with that device, after pairing I can see the adress in settings, device connections. That is as far as I am aware
    standard in android.

I am not familiar with hearing aids which can be paired with bluetooth, but the proceedure will be same as my
    ear buds.

Mynaardt
    Helpful
    Up

That article over at https://zsecurity.org/how-to-differ-some-devices-using-just-their-mac-address/ is actually pretty good; it tells us what MAC actually stands for, gives plenty of examples, and though it has quite a few technical details, it certainly gives enough pictorial detail so that users can find their MAC address (usually the vendor has it ON their devices or the material that ships with the device).

The antiX discussion referenced also provides plenty of additional details and suggestions. I recommend taking the time to at least be able to find a MAC address and provide it where needed; understanding it is optional.

That sounds handy, thanks!

Mynaardt
    Helpful
    Up

Hi Mynaardt,
    when bluetooth device and phone is in pairing mode: my phone shows me the MAC adress and asks if I want to pair
    with that device, after pairing I can see the adress in settings, device connections. That is as far as I am aware
    standard in android.

I am not familiar with hearing aids which can be paired with bluetooth, but the proceedure will be same as my
    ear buds.

Thanks, Moddit.

I’ll potter around with that tomorrow. After having some Turkish style coffee (read; caffeinated tar in a cup). It won’t hurt to get a better understanding of this Bluetooth business.

When I had to get hearing aids, it just so happens that the new ones are made Bluetooth compatible. Soooo, I figured I may as well take advantage of the situation.

ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up

Quote from Mynaard,

When I had to get hearing aids, it just so happens that the new ones are made Bluetooth compatible.
    Soooo, I figured I may as well take advantage of the situation.

Makes sense comfort wise as they should fit your hearing curve, and nice with hands free for phone use.

If you get really stuck it might be worth playing with a USB to bluetooth transmitter, they are cheap
    and good, there the pairing is with the dongle not the operating system. Works all over the place,
    in car, TV etc. Majority are plug and play, usb stick size. Sounds nice, where USB sound works no issue.
    about 9 Euro on amazon..

Will see if I can find how to run one with my soundcard, only 3.5 mm jacks there.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.