Any tips or heads-ups before making dual boot system?

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Any tips or heads-ups before making dual boot system?

• This topic has 22 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated May 7-4:15 am by kaye.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    kaye

Hi Friends!

I’ve bought a new laptop (ASUS) and I’m planning on making it a dual boot system asap (it came with windows 11 I think and I want antiX in there too).

I was just wondering if there is anything that I should expect once I’ve installed antiX on it. I’m particularly concerned about the speaker sound and the laptop battery.

1. Should I expect lower speaker volume in antiX compared to windows?

2. I think in windows I can limit the battery max charge to 80% only (to prolong the battery life?). Does antiX or Linux in general allow me to do the same?

Thank you for your time!

lgj100

@kaye

1. I don’t see why.
        2. You can adjust START_CHARGE_THRESH and STOP_CHARGE_THRESH in /etc/tlp.conf

You also want to know where your EFI partition is – use gparted from the live boot.

Sincerely,
        Lars.

Forum Admin
        rokytnji

Got a laptop review using Debian on this mysterious Asus laptop.

Or just make a live usb and post output from terminal

inxi -zv7

This laptop I am posting from is a dual booter but no windows open here.

harry@23.1runit:~
          $ sudo parted -l
          [sudo] password for harry: 
          Model: ATA WD Blue SA510 2. (scsi)
          Disk /dev/sda: 1000GB
          Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
          Partition Table: msdos
          Disk Flags: 
          Number  Start   End     Size   Type      File system  Flags
           1      1049kB  105GB   105GB  primary   ext4         boot
           2      105GB   1000GB  895GB  extended
           5      105GB   210GB   105GB  logical   ext4
           6      210GB   315GB   105GB  logical
          harry@23.1runit:~
          $ blkid
          /dev/sda5: LABEL="rootMX23" UUID="6e9530ad-53f5-4141-ad24-93c4303b318f" BLOCK_SIZE="4096" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="613cc569-05"
          /dev/sda1: LABEL="rootantiX23" UUID="a3726b00-fccc-4b06-9a3b-e61cb8d3d997" BLOCK_SIZE="4096" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="613cc569-01"

Happy Trails. Cool Beans .Good luck.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
          I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
          Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
          How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

PPC

The computer is new, but as always, if you have any important files on it, back them up before trying to install a new system (even when dual booting, just to play it safe).
            Run antiX live on it, and test video, sound, etc, just to make sure everything runs fine under antiX then, install.
            I see no reason to have volume problems in antiX!

2. You can adjust START_CHARGE_THRESH and STOP_CHARGE_THRESH in /etc/tlp.conf

…and I learned a new thing today. Thanks!
            If that works, it’s one more entry that deserves to be on an eventual Power Management tab in antiX Control Centre.

P.

anti-apXos

…and I learned a new thing today. Thanks!
              If that works, it’s one more entry that deserves to be on an eventual Power Management tab in antiX Control Centre.

Only some hardware supports setting battery charge thresholds. It depends on the design of the system’s embedded controller and supprt on the kernel. Most likely if there’s a way to set it in Windows, it will work with Linux using tlp, too, though.

blur13

If dualbooting with Windows 11:
                turn off bitlocker
                turn off secure boot (bios)
                turn off fast boot
                configure Windows to use UTC time

MasterPythoner

This is what I’ve learned so far.

First, install Windows.

Then, install Antix/Linux.

In this way, the Linux GRUB (Grand Unified Bootloader) will detect the Windows installation and add a boot entry, which allows you to select either Windows or Linux during the boot process.

If you do the reverse (install Linux first, then install Windows), you may encounter difficulties. This is because the Windows bootloader will not detect and be able to load Linux, nor will it add an entry to select Linux. Thus, you may have to reinstall GRUB again (from a live Linux environment).

Have fun !

kaye

Thanks guys!

I booted the antiX live USB on this new asus laptop. The function keys for mute, volume high, and volume low seems to be working. However the function keys for screen brightness (F4 and F5) are not working. I wouldn’t mind it as long as the antiX app backlight-brightness works, but it also doesn’t work. In other words, I cannot adjust the screen brightness of the antiX live USB when it is booted with this new laptop.

I don’t know if it would behave the same if antiX is installed on the hard drive.

Should I install on the hard drive anyway and find out?

By the way, regarding the tip of turning off bitlocker, I couldn’t find this setting in BIOS.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by kaye.
                    Xunzi_23

kaye wrote

By the way, regarding the tip of turning off bitlocker, I couldn’t find this setting in BIOS.

bitlocker is a windoze 10 and 11 tool. good starting point to understand the workings below

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/operating-system-security/data-protection/bitlocker/

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Xunzi_23.
                      abc-nix

I wouldn’t mind it as long as the antiX app backlight-brightness works, but it also doesn’t work. In other words, I cannot adjust the screen brightness of the antiX live USB when it is booted with this new laptop.

Share the system info to know if it needs a newer kernel for brightness support.
                        inxi -Faz

kaye

I wouldn’t mind it as long as the antiX app backlight-brightness works, but it also doesn’t work. In other words, I cannot adjust the screen brightness of the antiX live USB when it is booted with this new laptop.

Share the system info to know if it needs a newer kernel for brightness support.
                          inxi -Faz

But this is the same antiX live USB that was used to install antiX on the old laptop, and the backlight-brightness app works on that old laptop.

Anyway, here you go:

System:
                            Kernel: 5.10.188-antix.1-amd64-smp arch: x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc
                              v: 13.2.0 clocksource: tsc available: hpet,acpi_pm
                              parameters: BOOT_IMAGE=/antiX/vmlinuz quiet splasht disable=lxF
                              persist_all
                            Desktop: IceWM v: 3.4.5 dm: slimski v: 1.5.0 Distro: antiX-23_x64-full
                              Arditi del Popolo 27 August 2023 base: Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)
                          Machine:
                            Type: Laptop System: ASUSTeK product: Vivobook_ASUSLaptop M1605YA_M1605YA
                              v: 1.0 serial: <superuser required>
                            Mobo: ASUSTeK model: M1605YA v: 1.0 serial: <superuser required>
                              UEFI: American Megatrends LLC. v: M1605YA.302 date: 03/02/2023
                          Battery:
                            ID-1: BAT0 charge: 32.0 Wh (73.4%) condition: 43.6/42.1 Wh (103.7%)
                              power: 10.6 W volts: 11.8 min: 11.8 model: ASUSTeK ASUS Battery type: Li-ion
                              serial: N/A status: discharging cycles: 1
                          CPU:
                            Info: model: AMD Ryzen 5 7530U with Radeon Graphics bits: 64 type: MT MCP
                              arch: Zen 3 gen: 4 level: v3 note: check built: 2021-22
                              process: TSMC n7 (7nm) family: 0x19 (25) model-id: 0x50 (80) stepping: 0
                              microcode: 0xA50000D
                            Topology: cpus: 1x cores: 6 tpc: 2 threads: 12 smt: enabled cache:
                              L1: 384 KiB desc: d-6x32 KiB; i-6x32 KiB L2: 3 MiB desc: 6x512 KiB
                              L3: 16 MiB desc: 1x16 MiB
                            Speed (MHz): avg: 2509 high: 3845 min/max: 1600/4957:5096:4684:4547:4820
                              boost: enabled scaling: driver: acpi-cpufreq governor: performance cores:
                              1: 2115 2: 1394 3: 3409 4: 2310 5: 2127 6: 1516 7: 2736 8: 3830 9: 1954
                              10: 3480 11: 3845 12: 1393 bogomips: 47908
                            Flags: avx avx2 ht lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm
                            Vulnerabilities:
                          Type: itlb_multihit status: Not affected
                            Type: l1tf status: Not affected
                            Type: mds status: Not affected
                            Type: meltdown status: Not affected
                            Type: mmio_stale_data status: Not affected
                            Type: retbleed status: Not affected
                            Type: spec_store_bypass mitigation: Speculative Store Bypass disabled via
                              prctl and seccomp
                            Type: spectre_v1 mitigation: usercopy/swapgs barriers and __user pointer
                              sanitization
                            Type: spectre_v2 mitigation: Retpolines, IBPB: conditional, IBRS_FW,
                              STIBP: always-on, RSB filling, PBRSB-eIBRS: Not affected
                            Type: srbds status: Not affected
                            Type: tsx_async_abort status: Not affected
                          Graphics:
                            Device-1: AMD Barcelo vendor: ASUSTeK driver: N/A arch: GCN-5 code: Vega
                              process: GF 14nm built: 2017-20 pcie: gen: 3 speed: 8 GT/s lanes: 16
                              link-max: gen: 4 speed: 16 GT/s bus-ID: 03:00.0 chip-ID: 1002:15e7
                              class-ID: 0300
                          Device-2: ShineTech USB2.0 HD UVC WebCam driver: uvcvideo type: USB
                              rev: 2.0 speed: 480 Mb/s lanes: 1 mode: 2.0 bus-ID: 3-3:4 chip-ID: 3277:0036
                              class-ID: fe01 serial: <filter>
                            Display: server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.7 driver: X: loaded: N/A unloaded: fbdev
                              dri: swrast gpu: N/A display-ID: :0.0 screens: 1
                            Screen-1: 0 s-res: 1600x1200 s-dpi: 96 s-size: 423x318mm (16.65x12.52")
                              s-diag: 529mm (20.83")
                            Monitor-1: default res: 1600x1200 size: N/A modes: N/A
                            API: EGL v: 1.5 platforms: device: 0 drv: swrast surfaceless: drv: swrast
                              x11: drv: swrast inactive: gbm,wayland
                            API: OpenGL v: 4.5 vendor: x.org mesa v: 22.3.6 glx-v: 1.4 es-v: 3.2
                              direct-render: yes renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 15.0.6 256 bits)
                              device-ID: ffffffff:ffffffff memory: 14.73 GiB unified: yes
                          Audio:
                          Device-1: AMD Renoir Radeon High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
                              v: kernel pcie: gen: 3 speed: 8 GT/s lanes: 16 link-max: gen: 4
                              speed: 16 GT/s bus-ID: 03:00.1 chip-ID: 1002:1637 class-ID: 0403
                            Device-2: AMD ACP/ACP3X/ACP6x Audio Coprocessor vendor: ASUSTeK
                              driver: N/A alternate: snd_pci_acp3x, snd_rn_pci_acp3x pcie: gen: 3
                              speed: 8 GT/s lanes: 16 link-max: gen: 4 speed: 16 GT/s bus-ID: 03:00.5
                              chip-ID: 1022:15e2 class-ID: 0480
                            Device-3: AMD Family 17h/19h HD Audio vendor: ASUSTeK
                              driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel pcie: gen: 3 speed: 8 GT/s lanes: 16
                              link-max: gen: 4 speed: 16 GT/s bus-ID: 03:00.6 chip-ID: 1022:15e3
                              class-ID: 0403
                            API: ALSA v: k5.10.188-antix.1-amd64-smp status: kernel-api with: apulse
                              type: pulse-emulator tools: alsactl,alsamixer,amixer
                            Server-1: PipeWire v: 1.0.0 status: active with: 1: pipewire-pulse
                              status: active 2: wireplumber status: active 3: pipewire-alsa type: plugin
                              4: pw-jack type: plugin tools: pw-cat,pw-cli,wpctl
                          Network:
                            Device-1: MEDIATEK vendor: AzureWave driver: N/A modules: wl pcie:
                              speed: Unknown lanes: 63 link-max: gen: 5 speed: 32 GT/s port: N/A
                              bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 14c3:7902 class-ID: 0280
                          Bluetooth:
                            Device-1: IMC Networks Wireless_Device driver: btusb v: 0.8 type: USB
                              rev: 2.1 speed: 480 Mb/s lanes: 1 mode: 2.0 bus-ID: 3-2:3 chip-ID: 13d3:3579
                              class-ID: e001 serial: <filter>
                            Report: hciconfig ID: hci0 rfk-id: 2 state: down bt-service: stopped
                              rfk-block: hardware: no software: yes address: <filter>
                            Info: acl-mtu: 0:0 sco-mtu: 0:0 link-mode: peripheral accept
                          Drives:
                            Local Storage: total: 484.3 GiB used: 4.83 GiB (1.0%)
                            SMART Message: Unable to run smartctl. Root privileges required.
                            ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 maj-min: 259:0 vendor: Samsung
                              model: MZVL4512HBLU-00BTW size: 476.94 GiB block-size: physical: 512 B
                              logical: 512 B speed: 63.2 Gb/s lanes: 4 tech: SSD serial: <filter>
                              fw-rev: HXC70W1Q temp: 31.9 C scheme: GPT
                          ID-2: /dev/sda maj-min: 8:0 vendor: Transcend model: JetFlash 8GB
                              size: 7.36 GiB block-size: physical: 512 B logical: 512 B type: USB rev: 2.0
                              spd: 480 Mb/s lanes: 1 mode: 2.0 tech: SSD serial: <filter> fw-rev: 1100
                              scheme: GPT
                            SMART Message: Unknown USB bridge. Flash drive/Unsupported enclosure?
                          Partition:
                          Swap:
                            Kernel: swappiness: 10 (default 60) cache-pressure: 50 (default 100)
                              zswap: no
                            ID-1: swap-1 type: file size: 1024 MiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) priority: -2
                              file: /live/boot-dev/swap-file
                          Sensors:
                            System Temperatures: cpu: N/A mobo: N/A
                            Fan Speeds (rpm): cpu: 1900
                          Info:
                            Processes: 212 Uptime: 6m wakeups: 0 Memory: total: 16 GiB note: est.
                            available: 15.09 GiB used: 2.5 GiB (16.6%) Init: SysVinit v: 3.06
                            runlevel: 5 default: 5 tool: service Compilers: gcc: 12.2.0 alt: 12
                            Packages: pm: dpkg pkgs: 1728 libs: 826 tools: apt,apt-get,aptitude,synaptic
                            Shell: Bash v: 5.2.15 running-in: roxterm inxi: 3.3.31

If I may, I would also like to point out the following:

1. Battery of new laptop (asus) drains fast while laptop was running antiX live USB. I expected that because the old laptop (samsung) behaves similarly when running Linux, and so I’ve always had the impression that Linux in general does not have optimal laptop battery management tools. Not blaming Linux because I tend to think that laptop manufacturers cater to Windows only. My only issue with it is that the battery may be physically corrupted prematurely, if that is at all possible.

2. While running antiX live on this new laptop, in an area with no wifi so I tried to connect to my mobile phone’s hotspot, I open Connman System Tray.
                          Under Wireless tab, 5 buttons: Connect, Disconnect, Remove, Edit, Rescan
                          All buttons grayed out except Edit button, so I couldn’t connect to my mobile hotspot.
                          Normal?

3. Along with backlight-brightness app, the sct app also does not work on the new laptop running antiX live.

abc-nix

But this is the same antiX live USB that was used to install antiX on the old laptop, and the backlight-brightness app works on that old laptop.

It is helpful because the hardware has changed. For example, thanks to you sharing the inxi input I can tell you that the AMD Ryzen 5 7530U CPU has better support on kernel 6.1 (and even better support on newer Linux kernel releases). Please try switching the kernel version in the live grub menu (the option is named as “modern kernel”) and check if the brightness program works.

1. Battery of new laptop (asus) drains fast

You can use tlp (should already be installed in antiX) to improve battery life. You can start tlp in battery mode adding the following to /etc/rc.local (add it before the “exiit” line)
                            tlp bat
                            Optimizing battery life on linux takes some time, and there is no easy path. To learn more about TLP and how to optimize your power use, you can read this very detailed website about TLP.

More answer we can get from the inxi output:

Connman System Tray

Thaks to the inxi output, we know more about your wireless device:

Network:
                            Device-1: MEDIATEK vendor: AzureWave driver: N/A modules: wl pcie:
                            speed: Unknown lanes: 63 link-max: gen: 5 speed: 32 GT/s port: N/A
                            bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 14c3:7902 class-ID: 0280

It is telling us there is no active driver. I searched for the device and it seems it doesn’t have Linux support on most Distros, but I found someone got it to work on MX Linux 23. Try booting with the 6.1 kernel first. If that doesn’t work, the post in this forum suggests copying over the firmware files to the corresponding directory and using a 6.1 kernel or higher version.

Meanwhile, you can enable Network sharing through USB on your Android phone (USB tethering) and as soon as you plug the Android phone to the computer you will be able to use the internet. With this you will be able to do different tests, update, etc. on the live system.

the sct app also does not work

If this is also screen related, try the 6.1 kernel.

Bernd

You have to use a more modern kernel at least kernel 6.5.
                              Kernel 5.10 was released in 2020, your CPU was created in 2022, so no chance to find the right drivers in the kernel.

kaye

Hi guys

Regarding the wifi workaround:

The mediatek file that can be downloaded from

https://www.iot-tech.dev/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=250&p=280&sid=76285da94bcf2fef8bdbe2745cf5cad1#p280

will not work because the file does not have the driver for my

Mediatek Wi-Fi 6E MT7902 Wireless LAN Card

So now I’m trying a USB wifi adapter:

Linksys AE2500 802.11abgn Wireless Adapter [Broadcom BCM43236]

I installed ndiswrapper, and downloaded and extracted the file

AE2500xp_WHQL,0.zip

then go to Menu -> Applications -> System -> Network Assistant app -> Windows drivers tab -> click Add Driver -> locate and choose the file bcmwlhigh5.inf -> click Open , got this message:

The sys file for the given driver cannot be determined after parsing the inf file

Any suggestions?

Also, regarding the battery charging, I have to following lines in /etc/tlp.conf

START_CHARGE_THRESH_BAT0=5
                                STOP_CHARGE_THRESH_BAT0=80

but the charging still went past 80%

Your thoughts?

abc-nix

About the wireless device, someone using MX Linux on a Asus VivoBook X1605VA_X1605VA (same network chip as you) with liquorix kernel 6.6 seems to be able to run this wireless device (see this linux-hardware post).

You can temporarily connect to the internet using your Android Smartphone connected through a USB cable. Enable USB Tethering on your phone and your computer will automatically use your smartphone as a USB wireless adapter.

About TLP, you can start TLP by adding
                                  tlp start
                                  to /etc/rc.local (add it in an empty line before the “exit” command).

To enable low power use (even if plugged), I instead start tlp in battery mode.
                                  tlp bat

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.