Anyone here used GNU Pascal Compiler (GPC) and/or Free Pascal?

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Anyone here used GNU Pascal Compiler (GPC) and/or Free Pascal?

• This topic has 18 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated Apr 3-3:36 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Mynaardt

I was looking to see if there was a Pascal compiler out there that I could tinker with via Geany. I haven’t had a chance to muck about with Lazarus and Free Pascal. As yet.

But would anyone out there know the build commands for Geany if you tried to use Free Pascal? I’m sure the Lazarus IDE is quite good. But I’m familiar with Geany and didn’t want to be learning yet another IDE again.

I also looked at the site for the GNU Pascal Compiler (GPC) and was wondering if anyone had any experiences with that one? Or any other Pascal compiler that uses OOP (gotta love those computer acronyms)?

This is all just for a bit of fun, since I have way, way too much time on my hands. Being on a disability pension and all that fun stuff. I already tinker around with Python and Ruby as well.

Anyway, if someone could give a nudge in the right direction of a good Pascal compiler (or interpreter for that matter) that has objects, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any recomendations!

What have the Romans ever done for us?
      Apart from: sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, fresh water, and public health?

Brian Masinick

You can get the compiler, if you don’t already have it, from http://www.freepascal.org/
        Or if you want to really get hard core:
        http://github.com/Matthew1172/PascalCompilerLinux

Regarding geany you probably know what to do; for the benefit of others who may be interested, here is some information on using geany –

http://wiki.geany.org/howtos/configurebuildmenu

--
        Brian Masinick

Mynaardt

Thanks for that, Brian M. I’ll keep the hardcore option in mind; I’ll tinker about with free pascal first, though.

Have you used either of those compiler’s before? Just curious as to how they might compare to Pascal from years ago before the days of all that OOP stuff… I took courses in Pascal and C way back then and sort of remember some of it, but not a lot.

Thanks for the reply!

Apart from: sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, fresh water, and public health?

Brian Masinick

No, I’m building a Linux kernel and it’s taking a lot of time; over 2 hours so far.

--
            Brian Masinick

Mynaardt

Good on you! It takes me two hours just to wake up fully most days!

… closter to an hour if I have some Turkish coffee for a morning buzz (and then some)!

Brian Masinick

I’ve used Pascal before but I have not built it from source; same basic procedure as the kernel I’m building and probably quicker to build.

--
                Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

When I was in university most of my programs were written in Pascal.

--
                  Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

I started working in C in 1982 a few years later

--
                    Brian Masinick

Mynaardt

I took a few computer courses about that time too.

Then I started driving taxis to make a little extra money to go back to college.

Only fifteen YEARS later did I realize I’d been driving taxis full time for way too long.

Oh well; I never claimed to be quick on the uptake! 😀

Brian Masinick

Then I started driving taxis to make a little extra money to go back to college.

Only fifteen YEARS later did I realize I’d been driving taxis full time for way too long.

Oh well; I never claimed to be quick on the uptake! ????

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by rokytnji.

--
                        Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

Getting back to my mention of Linux kernels, I finally finished the compilation of that kernel and I got it to work once.

I’m not sure what I did next, maybe it was the fact that I had more than one 5.10 kernel installed, but afterward when I returned, neither the new kernel more the other 5.10 kernel worked. I was able to use the 4.9 antiX kernel and the Liquorix kernels with no problem; this was on the Dell Inspiron, which, until recently, ALWAYS worked with any kernel. MAYBE I should install Pascal; could it be the “wondrous solution?” 🙂

I moved on to my Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-55, but the final resolution to this eludes me, so I will do more experimentation the next time I start up my Dell Inspiron 5558. Interestingly 5.10 kernels work just fine on this system!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Brian Masinick.

--
                          Brian Masinick

Mynaardt

Oh well; I never claimed to be quick on the uptake!

Maybe they’ll make a TV show about you! Oh sorry, a show called ‘Taxi’ was aired decades ago; was it about you in years past?

Nope, not I in that show. Seen it before.

I drove mostly nights; I don’t think the Taxi show had enough of the weird stuff I had to deal with some nights.

And some of the indescribable people I sometimes met definitely wouldn’t be on a prime time show like Taxi!

It could be good for a giggle some nights, though…

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Mynaardt.

Mynaardt

Getting back to my mention of Linux kernels, I finally finished the compilation of that kernel and I got it to work once.

I’m not sure what I did next, maybe it was the fact that I had more than one 5.10 kernel installed, but afterward when I returned, neither the new kernel more the other 5.10 kernel worked. I was able to use the 4.9 antiX kernel and the Liquorix kernels with no problem; this was on the Dell Inspiron, which, until recently, ALWAYS worked with any kernel. MAYBE I should install Pascal; could it be the “wondrous solution?”

I moved on to my Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-55, but the final resolution to this eludes me, so I will do more experimentation the next time I start up my Dell Inspiron 5558. Interestingly 5.10 kernels work just fine on this system!

You’re definitely braver than me for diving deep into computer stuff!

I do like messing about with computers, but I don’t like messing about with OS-related matters, beyond a setting or two, for fear of messing things up. Mostly because I’ve got the bad habit of making wholesale changes rather than testing one change at a time as one should do.

Brian Masinick

Here’s the thing: BACK UP everything you have or keep a copy of the system you install.

I’d it breaks, don’t be afraid; play with it and see if you can fix it. If YES then you learn something. If you don’t have time or interest reinstall; it’s that simple.

When you have time, experiment.

--
                                Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

I still have the Dell’s 5.10 kernels to fix. Meanwhile I have 4.9 kernel and a couple of working Liquorice kernels and the USB to replace it all if needed.

--
                                  Brian Masinick

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.