Anyone into Illumos?

Forum Forums General Other Distros Anyone into Illumos?

• This topic has 7 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated Feb 11-2:41 pm by Eduardo Lucas.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Eduardo Lucas

I have used a lot of antix linux computers as it was my go-to distro in any work-related activity and some desktop times where i was fed off of windows but had no money to have a fast computer. Then i saw windows was too hard to stay in other fields and decided to learn UNIX and try a permanent switch to UNIX. I had tried BSDs (i think i only liked netBSD and dragonfly) and AntiX, i still actually ocasionally reinstall antix on my old laptop (which i have no money to keep as my main build as i`m unemployed again as of now) and bought a cheap 64-bit Pentium 4 PC. Then i studied about solaris and discovered illumos. I now use tribblix. Its like a very developer-unix power user antix. I think antix is still my go-to non-systemd/freedesktop non-unix bloatware linux distro on my old laptop, but i confess i fell in love with illumos as my developer and computer science learning and working platform for months and completely abandoned any use of windows, as microsoft seems to have taken it to a bad present and future.

Anyone else with good views? I will always recommend antix and tribblix/illumos/openindiana (if someone has the time to read docs in english) for people who wish to run cheap, repair-friendly old computers.

• This topic was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by Eduardo Lucas.
      • This topic was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by Eduardo Lucas.
      Forum Admin
      rokytnji

Ist I heard of it. I’ve read online though

Chromium OS – SmartOS (previously known as OpenSolaris)

But that post was locked out from the get go.

https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/chromium-os-dev/c/feZFRA5NnOk

Guessing this is their run time environment.
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service_Management_Facility

I also did not know that OpenSolaris cost more than Windows. I probably do not know much because OpenSolaris was geared to run on servers.
        Just mindless comments from a guy that has not ran it.
        Saw Ubuntu and Debian for triblix and OpenIndiana I think.
        That systemd base was enough to make me move on.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
        Not all who Wander are Lost.
        Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
        How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Eduardo Lucas

In a short exposition, i think the biggest issues of illumos are the smaller amount of eyes to look on the code (which means less drivers), the license (which attracts less interest by not being MPL or GPL), and the smaller interest of most users and developers.

OpenIndiana attemts to bring the OpenSolaris (something akin to solaris 11) base updated with the software of today. Runs well in workstations and desktops. Fast on post-2007 machines. Tribblix is a lot like antix and slackware, it completely drops components (non-freedesktop) which are usual in debian and ubuntu and arch and makes them optional by System V packages installed by a automated manager of multiple package bundles (overlays). Its more like Solaris 10. I feel its light on early 64-bit machines with limited amounts of ram. Not comparable to antix in how light it is in a fair way to antix, as antix offers many more things for a traditional desktop or for someone who switches from windows to unix out of the box with no need of installing.

There are OmniOS, SmartOS, one for servers and other for hypervisors. Quite fast, never tried them due to not being compatible on my computer.

SMF is a lot like sysvint but also a lot like a thing on its own. I think it avoids the pitfalls of launchd and systemd which are non-unixy and complex, with the only issue of XML manifests for controlling services and targeting services and SMF resources for developers who deploy or port software to it.

I read the chromium OS google groups (usenet?) topic but could not get why that topic was locked. Why?

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by Eduardo Lucas.
          Brian Masinick

Open Indiana – I had completely forgotten about that one; I notice the most recent version was not that long ago, November 2023. Thanks for mentioning it.

--
            Brian Masinick

Eduardo Lucas

Glad to remind you of another open unix! I actually reminded myself of how this forum is friendly, inclusive and open, and decided to give a hi and speak a bit of my trajectory and to how fondly i feel antix as the reference linux distribution if someone is looking for a solid system.

Forum Admin
              rokytnji

Why?

Don’t know myself. Looks to me like someone got upset.
                Hardware working is a big issue with me. Being a biker. I hate pushing a motorcycle back to the shop.

Being a tester here. I try and make extra effort to get my hardware working here also.
                I’ve learned a bit about pipewire lately here.

Not sure how other forums are. I mod at MX. They are bit more strict about the rules than we are. But friendly once you hang out for awhile.
                LinuxQuestions I go to help out and learn new stuff. There. I kinda like their style also. Since Dillo logs in and works on their site.

On other forums. How do you hang out and how uptight or loosey goosey are their mods?
                I am in the loosey goosey catagory myself. Till I get upset, anyways. Being 6 foot 7 inches. It comes with the territory.

Thanks for explaining how Tribblix is set up and works. Slackware and antiX. I used install and run Slackel or SaliX Fluxbox on my touchscreen clamshells to teach myself
                how slackware auto package installers work. Learn cfdisk a little also. Forgot most of it because of lack of practice.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
                Not all who Wander are Lost.
                Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
                How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Brian Masinick

Eduardo, just to add a bit more clarity. We do not close topics without good cause.
                  Sometimes if a discussion is in the wrong topic, we will move the discussion to a
                  new topic or an existing topic that fits the discussion.

If we close a topic completely, it’s because it is either repeating
                  without purpose or violating forum policy, such as attacking or threatening
                  others. It doesn’t happen very often; usually someone comes along to disrupt;
                  in those cases such individuals are banned and the topic in question, if
                  continued in a disruptive way by others; it’s closed and blocked; otherwise
                  individual offending posts are removed.

--
                  Brian Masinick

Eduardo Lucas

Why?

Don’t know myself. Looks to me like someone got upset.
                    Hardware working is a big issue with me. Being a biker. I hate pushing a motorcycle back to the shop.

Being a tester here. I try and make extra effort to get my hardware working here also.
                    I’ve learned a bit about pipewire lately here.

Not sure how other forums are. I mod at MX. They are bit more strict about the rules than we are. But friendly once you hang out for awhile.
                    LinuxQuestions I go to help out and learn new stuff. There. I kinda like their style also. Since Dillo logs in and works on their site.

On other forums. How do you hang out and how uptight or loosey goosey are their mods?
                    I am in the loosey goosey catagory myself. Till I get upset, anyways. Being 6 foot 7 inches. It comes with the territory.

Thanks for explaining how Tribblix is set up and works. Slackware and antiX. I used install and run Slackel or SaliX Fluxbox on my touchscreen clamshells to teach myself
                    how slackware auto package installers work. Learn cfdisk a little also. Forgot most of it because of lack of practice.

I believe the community is not as well organized as the Linux and BSD communities in forums. Some hang out in places like reddit subs. Some others on unitedBSD. No idea why this is the prevalent culture. I believe there is a significant descentralization of efforts. As far as unitedBSD, reddit subs, and especially discussion maillists from the illumos projects, it seems like there is a relative equilibrium between moderation of tone and allowing the discussion to be free and comprehensive.

Eduardo, just to add a bit more clarity. We do not close topics without good cause.
                    Sometimes if a discussion is in the wrong topic, we will move the discussion to a
                    new topic or an existing topic that fits the discussion.

If we close a topic completely, it’s because it is either repeating
                    without purpose or violating forum policy, such as attacking or threatening
                    others. It doesn’t happen very often; usually someone comes along to disrupt;
                    in those cases such individuals are banned and the topic in question, if
                    continued in a disruptive way by others; it’s closed and blocked; otherwise
                    individual offending posts are removed.

I think this is the right attitude. Mantaining the well being of everyone and making the place safe and healthy.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.