apt-get dist-upgrade adventure

Forum Forums General Software apt-get dist-upgrade adventure

Tagged: , ,

• This topic has 16 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated Jun 9-2:10 am by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    picamanic

I did an “apt-get update/dist-upgrade”, which paused when it tried to reconfigure grub-pc [or something], but the screen appeared to freeze and I killed the process [stupid panic]. When I tried to repeat the apt-get command, it suggested I run

dpkg –reconfigure -a

before continuing, which I did.

Oddly, no new linux kernel appeared on the filesystem, despite replacing /boot/grub/grub.cfg. I tried to refuse this.

The question is: did I damage my system by this? If necessary, I can revert to a system rsync that I made before the upgrade. Thanks.

• This topic was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by picamanic.
      sybok

Hi, not quite sure why do you expect new kernel to appear? Kernels are not automatically updated in antiX, as far as I know.
        Was a new kernel present in the packages suggested to update/install?

A grub update can be triggered by other causes than installing a new kernel (I would expect e.g. updating the grub[2] itself).

Brian Masinick

I did an “apt-get update/dist-upgrade”, which paused when it tried to reconfigure grub-pc [or something], but the screen appeared to freeze and I killed the process [stupid panic]. When I tried to repeat the apt-get command, it suggested I run

dpkg –reconfigure -a

before continuing, which I did.

Oddly, no new linux kernel appeared on the filesystem, despite replacing /boot/grub/grub.cfg. I tried to refuse this.

The question is: did I damage my system by this? If necessary, I can revert to a system rsync that I made before the upgrade. Thanks.

If you are unsure of what is there or it clearly doesn’t work and you DO have a clean rsync image to revert to, that’s what I’d recommend.
          Then update your system, carefully observe and take note of any changes. Grub is sometimes updated; mine has changed several times, but I’ve never had it fail to set itself up, so keep a close eye on it.

If it happens again, does this rsync image have whatever you’re interested in from the current system, and are you able, if needed, to selectively retrieve only certain things?
          If so, another approach would be to obtain a fresh image (unless you already have one), install it, update the software, and then apply whatever files you want to restore from the rsync; either approach could work, depending on what you’ve saved and how granular or smoothly you can apply whatever you wish to retain to your current configuration.

Occasionally I will either do an ISO snaphot, a remaster, or a combination of both. In this manner, I put the result on a removable USB device, and then I can install a complete system (including my files) on as many systems as I wish, and it works well; then all I have to do is update that to the latest software; of course I can periodically rebuild/remaster and have a more up-to-date copy of whatever I wish to backup, restore, copy or move around. That also works very well.

--
          Brian Masinick

Lead Farmer

What did you upgrade?, post the outcome this.

grep --color 'install \|upgrade ' /var/log/dpkg.log | tail -n 20

picamanic

Thanks [@masinick]. As I spent much time changing my AntiX system [removing the display manager, switching window manager, …], I think I will see if my rsync system clone worked [does on other computers], and try dist-upgrade again. I was afraid it would replace my custom 8-line grub.cfg file, which it did anyway!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by picamanic.
              picamanic

Thanks [@sybok]. I didn’t know that kernels were outside the dist-upgrade process

. I will try to re-instate system from rsync backup and try again. I need to read about AntiX kernels separately.

Brian Masinick

Hi, not quite sure why do you expect new kernel to appear? Kernels are not automatically updated in antiX, as far as I know.
                    Was a new kernel present in the packages suggested to update/install?

A grub update can be triggered by other causes than installing a new kernel (I would expect e.g. updating the grub[2] itself).

Just a bit of clarification here.
                    1) The antiX kernels provided at release time are not automatically updated, though security updates or bug fixes to kernels are available.
                    2) A distinction has to be made between antiX kernels and other kernels. Depending on *whose kernel* and *which kernel series* there are some kernel metapackages available that WILL update when there are changes to the kernels they refer and point to. For example, the Liquorix kernel has a linux-headers-liquorix-amd64 and linux-image-liquorix-amd64 package that changes whenever a newer Liquorix kernel is available; this is NOT provided in antiX but many people who use Debian, MX Linux, siduction and antiX are familiar with this kernel and have used it for years, myself included.
                    Similarly linux-image-amd64 is a Linux image for 64-bit PCs (meta-package), and linux-headers-amd64 are Header files for Linux amd64 configuration (meta-package). These ARE seen on antiX systems, though they are not loaded or executed by default. The present version of these point to 5.10.179-1 versions, which are certainly not “new”, nor does this image support fairly recent systems.

My general advice: if you’re not looking for something specific, just stick with the antiX kernel or kernels you need.
                    If you do require a newer kernel in order to support something specific you’re doing, either the Liquorix or xanmod kernels (both of which you have to search for, see if either provides what you are looking for, then enable support for them as described on their site; I won’t go into that here because it’s not something directly supported here; it’s something that only people who are looking for specific capabilities use.

It’s OK to use them, but be advised that it’s something you have to do on your own and support it yourself if that’s your choice.

--
                    Brian Masinick

Forum Admin
                    rokytnji

When I get interrupted dist-upgrades out here

sudo apt -f install

will usually double check if dpkg configure -a was successful or not.

Sometimes you will be surprised at what was not finished. You should end up with done

harry@antix1:~
                      $ sudo apt -f install
                      Reading package lists... Done
                      Building dependency tree... Done
                      Reading state information... Done
                      0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
                      I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
                      Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
                      How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Brian Masinick

@rokytnji
                        Good point, I should have mentioned it.
                        That’s usually the first thing I try when something does not finish properly.

If that doesn’t work I may back out some packages or replace them.

Having backups or snapshot images comes in handy occasionally too.

--
                        Brian Masinick

blur13

“Kernels are not automatically updated in antiX”

Regarding the kernels, why is this? On mx linux the kernel gets updated every once in a while and it takes forever as it creates build modules and compiles. On Sid it happens all the time (which I can understand). I much prefer the antix way of periodic security updates that can be installed manually. But what is the reason behind the divergent behavior of mx linux and antix in this regard?

picamanic

Thanks @rokytnji. I ran “apt -f install” and it completed with all Done. I will keep the system as is.

abc-nix

Regarding the kernels, why is this?

People forget that the antiX magic lies in its ability to be a live USB (or frugal) system. If you link the kernel to a meta package and two kernel updates later the currently running kernel is removed (this depends on how the meta package is configured), there could be issues. Imagine having a kernel update remove your current running kernel and remastering without updating the live kernel. I haven’t personally tested this, but I would imagine that the live USB won’t boot if the vmlinuz file doesn’t match the kernel in the live linuxfs filesystem. (Just a guess).

Maybe I am looking too much into this and anticapitalista decided to avoid a kernel update that could break the system if installed automatically. Better do it manually and know why the system didn’t boot.

Brian Masinick

Regarding the kernels, why is this?

People forget that the antiX magic lies in its ability to be a live USB (or frugal) system. If you link the kernel to a meta package and two kernel updates later the currently running kernel is removed (this depends on how the meta package is configured), there could be issues. Imagine having a kernel update remove your current running kernel and remastering without updating the live kernel. I haven’t personally tested this, but I would imagine that the live USB won’t boot if the vmlinuz file doesn’t match the kernel in the live linuxfs filesystem. (Just a guess).

Maybe I am looking too much into this and anticapitalista decided to avoid a kernel update that could break the system if installed automatically. Better do it manually and know why the system didn’t boot.

I’ve NEVER seen a kernel, antiX, Debian, Liquorix, or xanmod kernel fail to allow the live or frugal capabilities to function; I assure you, all of it works.

--
                                Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

I’m glad it does, too, because before 23 became available, I had to go out and get newer kernels to work with my Acer Aspire A515-55 and HP-14 models; they work FINE with newer kernels that support their wireless firmware release.

--
                                  Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

“Kernels are not automatically updated in antiX”

Regarding the kernels, why is this? On mx linux the kernel gets updated every once in a while and it takes forever as it creates build modules and compiles. On Sid it happens all the time (which I can understand). I much prefer the antix way of periodic security updates that can be installed manually. But what is the reason behind the divergent behavior of mx linux and antix in this regard?

The most straightforward reason I can think of is the very small number of people actively developing and maintaining antiX.
                                    Even the MX Linux team has more active contributors, and major distributions have orders of magnitude more people.
                                    This is a highly talented, but very small team, all volunteers, all of whom have other roles in their life in addition
                                    to antiX development.

--
                                    Brian Masinick

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.