apt-get dist-upgrade adventure

Forum Forums General Software apt-get dist-upgrade adventure

Tagged: , ,

• This topic has 16 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated Jun 9-2:10 am by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    christophe

the antiX magic lies in its ability to be a live USB (or frugal) system.

Although I don’t know why the kernel doesn’t receive an upgrade automatically, I do know that – on a live system – if you install a new kernel, you’ll have to (manually) remaster, then (manually) run live-kernel-updater to actually use that new kernel. It would still exist there in either the persistence file (if used), or in the new remaster (if performed), but until the live-kernel-updater has been run, setting the new kernel as the default, it would not be used. It would just be taking up space.
      And, of course, some live-usbs could very well be “space-challenged,” so – whatever the reason for not automatically updating the kernel – I think it’s a good policy.

confirmed antiX frugaler, since 2019

Brian Masinick

@christophe
        That’s a good example of why the use of different kernels with the live image “doesn’t receive an upgrade automatically,” and in fact I have had to go through the process of updating my system with whatever I intend to use, INCLUDING different kernels, then remastering the updated version.

Before our 6.1.18 kernel became available I had to create the entire kernel module structure to support the newer wireless driver that requires a recent kernel. Version 23 will help with all of that. Unfortunately a few really old systems will no longer be supported.

That’s why we’ve been keeping multiple versions available to support as many people and systems as possible.

--
        Brian Masinick

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.