[SOLVED] Xfce desktop Apt-notifier Problem

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-21/22 “Grup Yorum” [SOLVED] Xfce desktop Apt-notifier Problem

Tagged: ,

• This topic has 12 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated Mar 13-7:26 pm by computerworm110.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    computerworm110

Hi everyone,

I installed apt-notifier in antiX 21 SysVinit edition with XFCE. It did not automatically start on the next login, so I tried from the terminal. When I try to start it from the terminal, I get this error:

(python3:7003): Gtk-WARNING **: 00:57:50.018: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "adwaita",
      Traceback (most recent call last):
        File "/usr/lib/apt-notifier/modules/apt-notifier.py", line 1897, in <module>
          main()
        File "/usr/lib/apt-notifier/modules/apt-notifier.py", line 1880, in main
          check_updates()
        File "/usr/lib/apt-notifier/modules/apt-notifier.py", line 503, in check_updates
          add_hide_action()
        File "/usr/lib/apt-notifier/modules/apt-notifier.py", line 1086, in add_hide_action
          package_installer = list(filter( lambda x: which(x), pl.split()))[0]
      IndexError: list index out of range

I’m not an expert in code at all, but I know enough about it to think that this is probably a bug in the code, and not anything I’ve done wrong. Please fix this soon.

• This topic was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by Brian Masinick.
      • This topic was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by ModdIt.
      • This topic was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by Brian Masinick. Reason: Solved

Kind regards,
      computerworm110

Forum Admin
      anticapitalista

Cannot reproduce on my vanilla version of antiX-21.
        Maybe installing XFCE has caused the issue.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Brian Masinick

The apt notifier code and the updates work properly on the default window manager for me too.
          I’m not sure if a desktop environment is the cause of the problem you see or not, but the symptoms do suggest that the problem you see is the result of something that has been changed or altered from the default setup, which works fine (and still does; I just ran and updated today without any errors whatsoever.

--
          Brian Masinick

computerworm110

Thank you for the feedback @anticapitalista and @masinick. I will do more investigation on my specific setup. My suspicions are on a missing dependency, maybe? Because I installed from antiX-core, and have recommends and suggests turned off in apt. I’ll let you know what I’m able to find out. :)

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by computerworm110.

Kind regards,
            computerworm110

ModdIt

As the notifier works on user systems may I suggest to change the title to reflect the fact an unsupported desktop is affected.
              That is not an antiX bug as user induced.

computerworm110

As the notifier works on user systems may I suggest to change the title to reflect the fact an unsupported desktop is affected.
                That is not an antiX bug as user induced.

That is a very good point, and I would edit that title myself right now, except I can’t find a link to edit the either the topic title or the original post. I’m apparently only allowed to edit my replies. Is there a way to change my topic title?

P.S. I worked on the original problem for a couple more hours, tried installing various python packages and apt recommended packages. Still not any closer to solving the problem. But I’ll keep trying.

EDIT: I was searching for how to mark a thread as solved, and I found out that there is a time limit for editing one’s original post; after that time limit is passed, only a moderator can edit the original post.

Kind regards,
                computerworm110

Brian Masinick

Try reinstall and try using IceWM or JWM for a while. Yeah, they’re not full desktop environment implementations but if you try them out you will find out that they are resource efficient and you can do quite a lot with them.

If it’s not there, install zzzFM; it’s a replacement for a file manager that’s not supported anymore; one of our forum members took the code from SpaceFM, (similar to PCmanFM), no longer developed, made a few changes and we have a fast, effective window manager (either IceWM, JWM or Fluxbox) and an efficient file manager zzzFM, and other stuff that works well for aging hardware.

Try reinstalling and stick with one of our offerings for a while and see if they can work for you. If yes, it’ll be fast and efficient.

If not and you really want an Xfce desktop, I recommend MX Linux, EndeavourOS or PCLinuxOS, all of them work very well with Xfce (I know because I use all of them in addition to antiX, which gets special attention on my systems that are more than 3-4 years old (one is 6-7 years old; two other systems are between 10-15 years old!)

--
                  Brian Masinick

Forum Admin
                  anticapitalista

https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/apt-notifier-will-not-start/

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Forum Admin
                    Dave

It seems by your output that apt notifier is looking for the adwaita theme and cannot find it.
                      The packages installed by default related to adwaita are:
                      adwaita-icon-theme
                      gnome-themes-extra
                      gnome-themes-extra-data

Perhaps try installing them one at a time and see if apt notifier will start to work.

Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening Windows. ~Author Unknown

computerworm110

It seems by your output that apt notifier is looking for the adwaita theme and cannot find it.
                        The packages installed by default related to adwaita are:
                        adwaita-icon-theme
                        gnome-themes-extra
                        gnome-themes-extra-data

Perhaps try installing them one at a time and see if apt notifier will start to work.

Good idea, and I just tried it, but it turns out all of those packages are are already installed.

Kind regards,
                        computerworm110

computerworm110

https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/apt-notifier-will-not-start/

Thank you, but I already found that link a few days ago. That’s how I solved the first error I was getting. Now I have a different error, that apparently nobody has asked about in this forum. :(

Kind regards,
                          computerworm110

computerworm110

Try reinstalling and stick with one of our offerings for a while and see if they can work for you. If yes, it’ll be fast and efficient.

If not and you really want an Xfce desktop, I recommend MX Linux, EndeavourOS or PCLinuxOS, all of them work very well with Xfce (I know because I use all of them in addition to antiX, which gets special attention on my systems that are more than 3-4 years old (one is 6-7 years old; two other systems are between 10-15 years old!)

I’ll try for a little while longer to get my setup to work. If not, I will try the antiX window managers. Or maybe switch to MX, because I do really like XFCE. The reason I went to antiX is because of the core version, because I like being able to choose what is installed in the system, but don’t want to use an Arch-based system for my media PC. MX is wonderful, and I’ve used it before, but there is so much stuff preinstalled. I know that’s kind of the point of it, to have everything already there, but uninstalling all the stuff takes a lot of time. I prefer to just build up, rather than strip down.

Kind regards,
                            computerworm110

computerworm110

Alright, I finally got apt-notifier to work! It seems that packageinstaller is an undeclared dependency of apt-notifier. I was looking at the apt-notifier.py code, and the section raising the error was lines 1083-1088:

# check we have a package installer
                                  pl = "mx-packageinstaller packageinstaller"
                                  from shutil import which
                                  package_installer = list(filter( lambda x: which(x), pl.split()))[0]
                                  if package_installer:
                                      add_Package_Installer_action()

It seems that apt-notifier was looking for either mx-packageinstaller or packageinstaller, and refusing to show the tray icon because it didn’t find either one. I installed packageinstaller, and now apt-notifier works.

IMO, it is a sort of bug in the code, and someone should either add “mx-packageinstaller | packageinstaller” to the apt-notifier dependencies, or fix the apt-notifier.py code so the tray icon can still show, even in the absence of those packages.

And moderators, please mark this thread as solved.

Thank you all for taking the time to try and help me. :)

Kind regards,
                              computerworm110

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.