aptitude question

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions aptitude question

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by male Sep 18-9:48 am.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    stevesr0

I have been using aptitude as my primary apt tool.

Today, when I launched it for my daily update on packages, it produced a red screen and wanted to install several hundred programs to fix a dependency issue. It specifically mentioned problem with a conflict with grub-customizer.

I couldn’t figure out the basis for the issue and ultimately quit the program, opened a fresh terminal and used the aptitude keep-all command to get rid of it.

Has anyone else had a recent problem like this either with aptitude or apt or synaptic, or is it something I somehow caused?

Thanks.

stevesr0

caprea
    caprea

Hi stevesr0 , are you using testing or stable repos on antiX.?
    If stable, how did you install grub-customizer ?
    I know there was once a conflict on antiX with grub-customizer, but I’m not sure if that is still the case, probably not.

Somehow off-topic, I haven’t installed grub-customizer myself for years, because i only had trouble with it. You just can’t reconstruct how it works and where it writes what and why. As long as everything works fine, all is great, but woe if not. Then you have to handle the pieces of broken grub. And that happened to me more than once.Maybe these days it’s better.

Edit: I’ve just seen grub-customizer is indeed in the antiX-stretch repo since 23-Oct-2018.
    So forget about my question.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by caprea.
    stevesr0

I am not sure if I have tried to use it <g>.

It is installed; I think I heard someone recommending it.

I will heed your caution about using it.

Thanks.

stevesr0

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    rokytnji

I remember aptitude not respecting /etc/apt/prefences.d files in the past. Not sure now. What you describe is when I used to run systemd install experiments on my lonesome.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

manyroads
    manyroads

Yes grub-customerizer is, to my mind, one to avoid, if you are at all able. antiX certainly offers ‘native’ tools that will do most, if not all, of what grub-customizer claims to do without nearly the same risk(s). Just one old guy’s opinion.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by manyroads.

Pax vobiscum,
    Mark Rabideau - http://many-roads.com
    bspwm MX-18.3 kernel: 5.2.15-antix.1-amd64-smp
    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
    MX- antiX- BL- ArchLabs

male
    male

Just one old guy’s opinion.

You don’t have to keep stressing that.
    We are ALL old, even the hardware for antiX!

Male is the capital of the Maldives and its wonderful people.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.