aptosid

Forum Forums News Sid Upgraders aptosid

• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated Jun 16-10:31 pm by masinick.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    fungalnetfungalnet

http://aptosid.office-vienna.at/aptosid/release/

This ended back in 2013, personally I don’t remember it. It was based on debian-sid all its life but never accepted systemd. Its last system was based on Wheezy (debian7) -sid and the interesting part is that an upgrade is possible (if you remove the aptosid repositories) with just debian pkgs and no systemd is trying to be installed. The live-iso image is interesting, its tools, its installer (not a debian installer as far as I can remember what it was like), even its browser is functional still with reasonable rational websites. 🙂

It is honorable that those guys just hang it up rather than to be forced to adopt the crap that debian had already adopted by 2013. I wonder if the conformists among them devised siduction after aptosid was done.

masinickmasinick

The history behind this distribution dates back to another distribution that used Debian Sid and was known as sidux.

The quality of the work was absolutely first rate. The difficulties emerged because there were some differing interests and very strong personalities on the team.

I think that aptosid was next, followed by siduction.

Kanotix was another Debian-based distribution that predated all of these works. Sidux forked from Kanotix to focus exclusively on Sid packaging. The spin-offs and later versions were also based on Sid.

I do believe that the Sid-based distributions only enabled free software repositories, and the developers strongly recommended using only apt-get. I have not followed them for many years now, but at one time sidux was one of my daily-used distributions.

Brian Masinick

xinomiloxinomilo

wow, my story with debian too.. spend lot of time with kanotix and sidux (& a short time with aptosid too), before moving to pure debian.. 🙂
    (some mepis/knoppix also along the way)

@fungalnet, aptosid was not anti-systemd in any case. at that time noone cared about systemd/init freedom.
    if aptosid was still around, my guess is they would probably go along with debian’s systemd adoption.

masinickmasinick

By the way, I didn’t mention that I always kept at LEAST three types of Debian derivatives in my most active days.

I’d usually run Debian Sid and for several years I created my own special antiX Core distro with Sid packages and Xfce. This was long ago, before MX Linux.

I generally set up another antiX with Testing repo enabled. I’d usually rebuild it with a new release but not always because the ” rolling release ” character of both Testing and Sid repo works very well.

For Stable I’d use MEPIS. I truly enjoyed all of these. Which one I used depended on my mood, but I would generally use all of them during the week, sometimes even during the same day. Each has it’s “use case”.

A Sid-based distribution can always run fairly current software that actually works well. You have to learn the packaging system and watch out for potentially breaking a package or an entire system. Awareness (and slowing any package changes when a new release occurs really lowers the risks. You can get changes then, too. You simply have to be careful.

A Debian Testing repo is fairly low risk and a great way to get an easily updated system without worrying about releases.
    If you don’t care about visual change and you control such things yourself anyway, Testing and Sid are great.

MEPIS really was a great experience and an excellent distribution. Though MX Linux in some ways is even better, I still have a soft spot and great memories of Simply MEPIS. It was the number one Distribution on DistroWatch a few times.

I could see the potential for MX Linux to climb pretty high on the list too. If it’s not listed #1 though it’s not an indication of it’s quality or value, it’s a popularity contest.

The reason why antiX is not at the top is the same. antiX is about running the best balance of efficient software with flexibility and it does extremely well.

I can tell you with certainty that both antiX and MX Linux have the necessary tools to either use them as is or customize them as needed.

Debian can be used on a wider range of computer systems because it supports several hardware architectures, something that most distributions do not have (though Debian is NOT the only distribution supporting multiple architectures.

I have not covered my entire history here and I have jumped around a lot with my thoughts and examples.

I do hope that something useful is there for someone, maybe an idea that someone can run with or perhaps simply a few odds and ends that are of possible historical content and curiosity.

Brian Masinick

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.