Apulse upgrade error on antiX 17.3.1 x64 (Debian testing version)

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Apulse upgrade error on antiX 17.3.1 x64 (Debian testing version)

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by betman Feb 9-5:40 am.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

betman

Greetings, everyone!
    I had been using the 32 bit version for quite some time. But, today I decided to do a fresh install of the 64 bit and the sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade worked fine until at last an error popped saying apulse couldn’t be upgraded. So, I tried again, and again, and again, with no gain. Then, I tried full-upgrade, still there was error.
    I have attached the output of sudo apt full-upgrade (which is same as the output of sudo apt upgrade)
    Also I tried upgrading via synaptic and have attached the error message too.
    What has gone wrong with my system and what must I do to rectify this?
    Thanks.
    (I’m unable to insert images inside the post. Can someone help that, too?)

• This topic was modified 3 weeks ago by betman.
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

Try removing apulse and then install it again.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

caprea
    caprea

You have to do the sudo apt autoremove
    libapulse will get removed and apulse can get upgraded.

betman

Thanks anticapitalista, caprea! Sorry, been away for some days. I will try these solutions today, and will let you know. Thanks guys!

betman

That worked! Thanks a lot, anticapitalista! Thanks a lot, caprea!
    Process & result:
    I removed both apulse and libapulse. Then I searched for both on synaptic and could only find apulse but not libapulse, and so installed apulse only.

So, I gather that libapulse, now, doesn’t have a package so couldn’t be upgraded, and apulse depended on libapulse but since libapuse couldn’t itself be upgraded so it prevented the upgradation of apulse also. Is this right? Please, explain this situation in a better technical way if you could, so that I as well as any future user facing such issue can have a good understanding of this. Thank you!

• This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by betman.

seaken64

You have to do the sudo apt autoremove
    libapulse will get removed and apulse can get upgraded.

At what point do we use the “sudo apt autoremove” command? Do we do this after the first dist-upgrade run? Then run the autoremove and run dist-upgrade again? Or is it done in some other order?

Seaken64

betman

sudo apt autoremove is used when you have a program installed but not used by any other program, so that that program can be safely removed.
    e.g. You’ve program A installed which depends on programs D,C,Q, and so those also got automatically installed while installing A. Now, let you’ve removed A but its dependencies (i.e. D,C,&Q) are still installed. So, next time when you upgrade, your system says that D,C,Q are installed on your system but are not being used by any apps, so ‘use apt autoremove’ to remove those (dependencies).
    That is the whole issue.

But, autoremove has been known to break your system quite a few times by messing with dependencies. So, after doing ‘sudo apt autoremove’ you must do ‘sudo apt upgrade’ which will fix the dependencies if & when broken by autoremove.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.