Audio too Loud on Antix

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Audio too Loud on Antix

• This topic has 23 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated Jan 25-11:11 am by keshav-uses-linux.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    keshav-uses-linux

I’m currently operating on antiX-23_x64-base Arditi del Popolo 27 August 2023. I’ve noticed that the audio from the ALSA mixer app is extremely loud at just 1% volume. When the volume reaches 10%, the audio becomes very loud and begins to distort significantly.

I’m using an external audio interface, and I’m fairly certain that the issue isn’t hardware-related.

• This topic was modified 5 months, 4 weeks ago by keshav-uses-linux.
      • This topic was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by keshav-uses-linux.
      anti-apXos

Do you have another slider in alsamixer that looks like it might control gain or something like that? For example, my soundcard has a control for “Pre-Amp” that I have to turn down to avoid distortion. The alsamixer controls depend on your hardware, though. You can post output of amixer here.

If you don’t have a control like that, you could try turning all the sliders in alsa equalizer down, which will give you a lower volume.

Installing Pipewire could also be a solution since its Master volume control is a percent of the ALSA main volume for your card.

marcelocripe

Hello keshav-uses-linux.

Welcome to antiX Linux and the Forum.

I don’t know how to write in English and I send my texts translated by the internet translator. I hope you can understand everything. If your native language is not English, please translate my original Brazilian Portuguese text directly into your language with the help of internet translators and you will get a much better result.

Please read my real welcome in the Welcome to antiX Linux and the forum (antiX 23) and Welcome to antiX Linux and the forum (antiX 19, 21 and 22) thread.

I’m currently operating on antiX-23_x64-base Arditi del Popolo 27 August 2023. I’ve noticed that the audio from the ALSA mixer app is extremely loud at just 1% volume. When the volume reaches 10%, the audio becomes very loud and begins to distort significantly.

I’m using an external audio interface, and I’m fairly certain that the issue isn’t hardware-related.

Click on the antiX menu, Applications, Multimedia, AlsaMixer.
          Use the keyboard’s directional keys to move the selection.
          Move the selection to “pre-amp” and use the down arrow key to decrease the gain.

marcelocripe
          (Original text in Brazilian Portuguese language)

– – – – –

Olá, keshav-uses-linux.

Seja bem-vindo(a) ao antiX Linux e ao fórum.

Eu não sei escrever em idioma Inglês e envio os meus textos traduzidos pelo tradutor da internet. Eu espero que você consiga compreender tudo. Se o seu idioma nativo não for o Inglês, por favor, traduza o meu texto original em Português no Brasil diretamente para o seu idioma com a ajuda dos tradutores da internet que você obterá um resultado muito melhor.
          Por favor, leia a minha verdadeira boas-vindas no tópico Seja bem-vindo (a) ao antiX Linux e ao fórum (antiX 23) e Seja bem-vindo (a) ao antiX Linux e ao fórum (antiX 19, 21 e 22).

Clique no menu do antiX, Aplicativos, Multimídia, AlsaMixer.
          Utilize as teclas direcionais do teclado para mover a seleção.
          Mova a seleção até “pre-amp” e utilize a tecla direcional para baixo para diminuir o ganho.

marcelocripe
          (Texto original em idioma Português do Brasil)

keshav-uses-linux

Do you have another slider in alsamixer that looks like it might control gain or something like that?

The alsamixer controls depend on your hardware, though. You can post output of amixer here.

$ amixer
            Simple mixer control 'Pre-Amp',0
              Capabilities: volume
              Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
              Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
              Limits: 0 - 255
              Front Left: 3 [1%]
              Front Right: 3 [1%]

If you don’t have a control like that, you could try turning all the sliders in alsa equalizer down, which will give you a lower volume.

ohh, That Worked, Thanks!, i hope that the frequency response is just as flat.

Installing Pipewire could also be a solution since its Master volume control is a percent of the ALSA main volume for your card.

i will try that out

• This reply was modified 5 months, 4 weeks ago by keshav-uses-linux.
            keshav-uses-linux

Hello keshav-uses-linux.

Welcome to antiX Linux and the Forum.

I don’t know how to write in English and I send my texts translated by the internet translator. I hope you can understand everything. If your native language is not English, please translate my original Brazilian Portuguese text directly into your language with the help of internet translators and you will get a much better result.

Please read my real welcome in the Welcome to antiX Linux and the forum (antiX 23) and Welcome to antiX Linux and the forum (antiX 19, 21 and 22) thread.

Thanks for such a Warm Welcome, i hope i will have a great time with the community
              and dont worry, i can Understand the Translation very well.

Click on the antiX menu, Applications, Multimedia, AlsaMixer.
              Use the keyboard’s directional keys to move the selection.
              Move the selection to “pre-amp” and use the down arrow key to decrease the gain.

thanks for helping me out but, i have already tried that, and got a solution from @anti-apXos. but still, i appreciate you gave the effort

anti-apXos

That’s an odd one. Just Pre-Amp with no actual volume control slider. It looks like the MiniFuse2 has its own physical volume control, though, so maybe that’s why the ALSA driver is configured this way.

You can turn the gain down a bit further than alsamixer allows by setting it directly with

amixer sset Pre-Amp 1

If the control is very sensitive, that may sound better than the 3 [1%] set in alsamixer.

This is not really the same as volume control, though, so it’s not going to do exactly what you want, I don’t think.

Pipewire may be the best solution if you’re looking for a way to control volume from within antiX without having to adjust the volume on the device itself.

caprea

If you want to go with pipewire on antiX23 base, here’s a howto for the installation and configuration
                  https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/bluetooth-headphones/#post-127566

marcelocripe

When you start AlsaMixer and it only displays one control, the same as the one in your photo, press the F6 key and select your sound card. I saw this happen on a laptop that has two sound cards and I always had to choose one of the two to display all the controls.
                    You should start using antiX from full ISO, with the base ISO you will need several solutions (programs) that are at full ISO. I don’t have the courage to use the base ISO, even though I’ve been participating in this forum since June 2020. The full ISO has everything you need and as PPC likes to say, it looks like a Swiss army knife.

– – – – –

Quando você iniciar o AlsaMixer e só exibir um controle, igual ao da sua foto, pressione a tecla F6 e selecione a sua placa de som. Eu vi isto acontecer em um laptop que possui duas placas de som e sempre eu precisava escolhe ruma das duas para exibir todos os controles.
                    Você deve começar a utilizar o antiX da ISO full, com a ISO base você vai precisar de várias soluções (programas) que estão na ISO full. Eu não tenho coragem de utilizar a ISO base, mesmo eu participando deste fórum desde junho de 2020. A ISO full tem tudo que você precisar e como o PPC costuma dizer, se parece com um canivete Suíço.

Brian Masinick

I agree with @MarceloCripe for most people antiX Full is the way to go.
                      I did go back and install both antiX Base and antiX Core on my Dell
                      laptop computer and they are as good as they ever were, but the FIRST
                      thing I realized as soon as I started them up was the impression:
                      “Wow, we sure have made a lot of functional, usability AND appearance
                      changes in Full that are NOT present in Base or Core!”

While that’s fine (and I can still deal with it), I had to wait until
                      I had some time to work with Base and Core to configure them to suit
                      my needs. Once I did that they were fine, but my recommendation is
                      that unless you are someone who can build a system nearly from scratch,
                      don’t even bother with Base or Core. On the other hand if you are an
                      experienced software engineer or hobbyist, both of them are excellent
                      places from which to customize your own system!

--
                      Brian Masinick

anti-apXos

My previous antiX install was Base, but with antiX-23 I installed Full.

There’s a lot more included with Full than I realized. From the descriptions on the downloads page, I thought it was only a matter of what pre-installed stand-alone software packages like LibreOffice were included. But really, a lot of things that I think of more as “system packages” are added in Full, too. That’s a blurry distinction, I guess, but the difference is more than I expected from reading the descriptions.

keshav-uses-linux

how can i install and setup pipewire

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by keshav-uses-linux.
                          Robin

here’s a howto for the installation and configuration

↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

??

↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓

how can i install and setup pipewire

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

blur13

Opinions differ about this, but I have had a lot of success with

sudo apt purge alsamixer-equalizer-antix

which removes pre-amp and the equalizer. Removes all distortions and makes the sound as clear as it is with pipewire or pulse.

Brian Masinick

Opinions differ about this, but I have had a lot of success with

sudo apt purge alsamixer-equalizer-antix

which removes pre-amp and the equalizer. Removes all distortions and makes the sound as clear as it is with pipewire or pulse.

While perhaps not the only solution, I can certainly understand doing this. I’ve found with the “pre-amp” in particular that you have to be pretty careful how much, if at all, you add any pre-amp value; the HIGHEST I’ve ever gone on any system to increase total available volume without adding a ridiculous amount of distortion is 11; that’s probably too much, maybe even way too much on some systems.

Recently I’ve just been using Pipewire; like the equalizer discussion, there are differences of opinion on this; for me, it’s turned out to be something I can simply use without a lot of muss and fuss. What I also acknowledge is that we have such a range of systems, from ancient 32 bit systems to old 64 bit systems right up to systems that have been built within the past couple of years or less. So one size cannot be expected to satisfy all; that’s why we have a rich diversity of choice, and I’m grateful for those choices whether I use all of them or not.

--
                                Brian Masinick

keshav-uses-linux

If you want to go with pipewire on antiX23 base, here’s a howto for the installation and configuration

Then open the control-centre > Session > User Desktop-Session
                                  This will open geany with the startup file
                                  Go to line 23 and remove the # from the line
                                  pipewire-start &

Most people need to give the volumeicon some time to start in interaction with pipewire.So go to line 26 and change the volumeicon line into
                                  sleep 5 && volumeicon &

So, i did those and restarted, but i dont get audio and also i dont see the volume icon

Save and close the file.Now reboot.Hopefully everything works as smoothly as it did here.
                                  Go to the menu > applications > Entertainment media > pavucontrol(Pulse-audio volume control) and see if it is working.

Soo, mine is stuck on this

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by keshav-uses-linux.
                                Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.