Authetication Failed

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Authetication Failed

• This topic has 20 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated Mar 14-4:48 pm by PPC.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    YellowZaions

Good afternoon friends.

I don’t know if I can submit my problem here so I want to say sorry if I’m making the topic in the wrong place.

Well right now I’m trying to install Steam and everything went normal until it was needed to install extra packages on the package install. What happens is that when it asks my user password it gives me this error:

=== AUTHENTICATION FAILED ===

Error executing command as another user: Not authorized

That’s very strange to me because I don’t know what it means because I don’t have any other users on my device other then mine. I am totally new to this system so sorry if this problem is easy to fix but I don’t have a clue on how to proceed to fix this error

Attachments:
      PPC

How are you trying to install Steam? Please try installing Steam using antiX’s Package Installer (Instalador de Pacotes).

When asking a question always tell us what version of antiX you have installed (ex: antiX 23.1 Full 64bits, sysV) and exactly what you are trying to do (in this case, how are you trying to install steam? Using Package Installer? Synaptic? Manually installing from the terminal? Using apt or installing directly from a .deb file?)
        It’s like going to the doctor, you have to give us all details, so we can help you.

EDIT: Also, a more descriptive title helps you get the help you need: “Authentication Failed” does not mean much but something like “Authentication Failed when installing Steam” lets people know exactly what kind of help you require.

P.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by PPC.
        YellowZaions

Hello PPC.

Right now I’m usig Antix 23 full, 32bits, runit (if I’m not mistaken), and I trying to install Steam by using The package installer. Another think I like to point out us that the steam’s icon IS present on my device but The package installer do not show that I have It installed. This may be happening because I tried to install It using the official Steam’s web site.

PPC

This may be happening because I tried to install It using the official Steam’s web site.

Yes, probably

I was not aware you could even install Steam in 32bits devices! Please note that probably your hardware is just 32bits, then it’s probably too weak to play most of steam games available…

P.

YellowZaions

PPC is there anything that I can use to replace steam then? How can I find more options of games on Antix?

anti-apXos

Steam should work on a 32-bit system, though certainly some games may not work on your particular system.

The issue in your screenshot is that Steam is trying to use polkit to authenticate so it can install those packages, but antiX doesn’t ship with polkit. It can be installed, but I’m not sure how easy that is.

My suggestion is to try manually installing that list of packages it wants using apt. Or alternately, uninstall the version of Steam you installed from the website and start over installing Steam entirely from the package manager, which should pull in all the dependencies.

Forum Admin
                rokytnji

Dosbox works excellant running games on 32 bit.

https://www.dosgames.com/

Just set the default run action for the .exe file in games folder for dosbox and you are golden.
                  Google search how to get full screen with a key stroke.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
                  I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
                  Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
                  How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Robin

How can I find more options of games on Antix?

sudo apt-get install playonlinux

You’ll have to ask in their forums for advice for 32 bit hardware support if some of the games won’t work out of the box with the presets included (while it does on a 32 bit windows), since they are meanwhile tailored for 64-bit-only mostly (but that can be helped in many cases).

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

YellowZaions

thanks everyone for the help.

right now I’m trying to delete Steam but it won’t let me. I’m trying to delete it using the zzzFM file manager but the error says: “error: Permission denied” I will try to send a screenshot but my AntiX is in portuguese so I don’t know it will be much of a help.

Right what I need is to know ways I can delete This aplication

Attachments:
                      Robin

The default way of deinstall is:
                        $ sudo apt-get purge steam

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

PPC

when you want to delete or change files that are not inside your home folder (/home/user_name) you have to do so with elevated provileges (this means in root mode).
                          On zzzfm click the “Arquivo” menu > select the option to open a root window (NOT the root terminal). BE VERY CAREFULL!

P.

YellowZaions

PPC thanks for the help.

I sucssesfully deleted the Steam file but I ran into another problem. Looks like AntiX still thinks that I have steam installed because it still appears on the options menu in “aplications-Games”.

marcelocripe

PPC is there anything that I can use to replace steam then? How can I find more options of games on Antix?

Watch the videos on the “antiX Linux em Português” channel, start with the first one until you reach the most recent videos, including those that demonstrate how to install programs, games and emulators. For example:
                              “9 – How to update antiX Linux 23 and how to install translations in antiX Linux 23? (How to set the date and time automatically in antiX Linux)”
                              “10 – How to install programs or applications on antiX Linux? – Part 1”
                              “30 – How to install programs, games and game emulators on antiX Linux? – Part 2 (MAME arcade game emulator installation)”

– – – – –

Assista os vídeos do canal “antiX Linux em Português”, comece pelo primeiro até chegar nos vídeos mais recentes, entre eles, os que demonstram como instalar programas, jogos e emuladores. Por exemplo:
                              “9 – Como atualizar o antiX Linux 23 e como instalar as traduções no antiX Linux 23? (Como configurar a data e a hora automaticamente no antiX Linux)”
                              “10 – Como instalar os programas ou aplicativos ou aplicações no antiX Linux? – Parte 1”
                              “30 – Como instalar programas, jogos e emuladores de jogos no antiX Linux? – Parte 2 (Instalação do emulador de jogos de fliperama MAME)”

YellowZaions

Marcelo thanks you Very much, I Will make sure to watch all of your videos that I still didn’t watched because they are being Very helpfull.

Yellow.
                                ====================================================================================================================
                                Marcelo muito obrigado, eu vou fazer questão de assitir todos o seus vídeos que ainda não assisti porquê eles estão sendo muito úteis.

Yellow

YellowZaions

My suggestion is to try manually installing that list of packages it wants using apt

Can you tell me how I can do it? I’m really new to the terminal so I don’t know how to proceed.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.