Automount ntfs-partition on dual boot

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-17 “Heather Heyer, Helen Keller” Automount ntfs-partition on dual boot

• This topic has 4 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated Oct 31-5:57 pm by rokytnji.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Dual booting Antix 17 with Win 10 on a laptop here. Very impressed so far. But:

I can’t figure out how to mount the laptop’s ntfs-partition? It keeps throwing errors at me. I’d like it to automount both the ntfs partition and Antix’s ext4 partition on boot, but I can’t even access the ntfs partition right now.

I’m using Space/IceWM.

Ideas?

Forum Admin
    BitJamBitJam

These may be two separate problems here. To automount internal partitions on live, use the “mount=all” cheat. To automount on an installed system, there should be an entry in /etc/fstab for the partition. Just remove “noauto” from the list of options in that entry. If there is no entry for the partition then add one. It’s good form to identify the partition by its UUID but you don’t have to.

I sometimes see errors when trying to mount ntfs partitions that contain Windows. Windows can leave the file system in a state that doesn’t allow Linux to mount it. Sometimes booting into Windows and cleanly shutting down will fix the problem. You could also try using the ntfsfix program.

Context is worth 80 IQ points -- Alan Kay

Forum Admin
    anticapitalistaanticapitalista

In /etc/fstab you should have an entry for the ntfs partition. You need to change noauto to auto for that entry, reboot.
    BitJam beat me to it.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by anticapitalista. Reason: other post

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Forum Admin
    dolphin_oracledolphin_oracle

a sample entry for ntfs in your fstab might look something like this.

#Entry for /dev/sda6 :
    UUID=4AAA433BAA4322B5	/media/datapart	ntfs-3g	uid=1000,gid=users,dmask=002,fmask=113,auto,locale=en_US.UTF-8	0	0

where UUID is the partition, /media/datapart is the mountpoin, ntfs-3g is the type. The rest are options, including the “auto” option so that its mounted on boot.

Forum Admin
    rokytnjirokytnji

Caveat to above posts. It’s a Windows 10 thing.

Link

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    I'm not outa place. I'm from outer space.

Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.