AV Linux 23.1 released

Forum Forums General Other Distros AV Linux 23.1 released

• This topic has 65 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated Mar 15-9:07 pm by puredyne.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    punranger

AV Linux 23.1 has just been released. This is a distro based on MX Linux for the purposes of content creation. In my case, it’s the audio recording capabilities that are the most interesting. The developer has created a system that is capable of high quality audio recording out of the box. I have tried previous versions of AV Linux, and for my use case it just has made the path to creative work in Linux so much simpler and shorter than anything else I’ve tried. I am in the process of converting my entire home studio into a Linux based system, and I’ve already decided on basing it on AV Linux. This current version brings Pipewire into the mix (as has happened on antiX), and I’m slightly apprehensive about it, but as the developer states in his release video, there really is no other option at this point.

You can work on audio recording in antiX. Several DAWs work quite nicely in antiX, notably Ardour. But AVL just streamlines the setup and saves hours of finetuning. The amount of great native audio plugins alone that come ready to go makes it a fantastic gift to the audio community.

I’ve noticed a few antiX forum members have contributed to AVL, specifically Dolphin Oracle, which is great to see and reassuring.

I look forward to testing out the new version and getting ready to do the big leap. Previously, I’ve used Cakewalk in Windows, which was a great free option, but now the developers have pulled the plug on it, which was the final straw for me along with the upcoming end of support for Win 10. For any Windows users reading this: Using Linux for your home studio IS a viable option. Hopefully, if more people embrace it, developers will offer more native Linux versions of plugins.

Congrats to Glen and his helpers on this release!

https://www.bandshed.net/2024/01/14/av-linux-23-1-enlightened-released/

• This topic was modified 3 months ago by punranger.

antiX linux: The best way to revive an old computer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCTaUAP6sSg

olsztyn

Thank you @punranger for bringing this new version to my attention…
        I am just about to test AVL 23.1 from systems perspective and I have watched the video (87min!) by the AVL MX author. Video itself appears to be done very well IMO.
        Just a few of my comments based on this video, not my testing yet:
        – The AVL author appears to know sound technology direction very well. AVL author appeared to encourage Pipewire implementation and showed a few basic management tools he developed.
        – It looks to me all the AVL functionality can be implemented in antiX as well it seems to me. If you use antiX/Enlightenment it will even look about the same.
        – Out of this long video (very well done, to stress again) however about half is describing merits and details of Enlightenment, which is great to become more familiar with this WM, however it is not material to audio functionality implementation. This is not a complaint from my part though, just that I am looking from audio technology perspective here, curious about implementation more than intricacies of desktop functionality. I am already pretty much familiar with Enlightenment, using antiX/Enlightenment on my MacBooks, so little was new to me from that part of video…
        – Abundance of audio related software installed. Particularly valuable in this video is though the part describing integration of various plugins, both Linux native and the ones ported from Windows, especially in Ardour.

I will now proceed to test AVL hands on, so might learn some more about audio technology integration…
        Great video overall, particularly for someone not yet familiar with Enlightenment…

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
        http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

olsztyn

Being snow bound today, I had some time to do some initial testing of AV Linux MX: Installed AV Linux MX 23.1 in Live mode on internal SATA disk, using a very modest laptop – Thinkpad X61 from 2008 with Core2Duo CPU and 4 Gb ram.
          Initial hands-on impression:
          – Aesthetically very nice theme and logical organization of desktop. System related elements on the bottom panel and all AV in a vertical ibar on the right.
          – Surprisingly low initial memory footprint. After boot it measures about 300M on my laptop measured with Htop. This is not much more than antiX/Enlightenment on the same laptop and appears to be lower memory footprint than MX/Fluxbox. Since AVL is based on MX, there must have been some optimizations from MX team implemented to accomplish this low memory footprint. When running the default browser (dreaded Firefox, of course) memory usage jumps to over 700M, which appears to be more in line with MX Fluxbox, if I remember correctly, but still higher than antiX/Enlightenment.
          – AV applications started from the vertical ibar on the right appear to work as expected, expected the Blender fails to start for me with an ‘execution error’. Kdenlive appears fine, just as Ardour, but I am going to remove it, following the principle of not using any KDE stuff in my installs.
          – Temperature of CPU quieted to mid-40’s when typing this note but before that it reached upper 50’s for a while, probably because of Liquorix kernel not running too cool from my experience. I will try to replace with Debian kernel 6.5, expecting running significantly cooler from my experience with antiX.
          – Expectedly libelogind0 is installed, if I am not mistaken. Probably some of the installed applications have not been converted to libelogind0-free form as in antiX. I think I will try to install AV apps on antiX/Enlightenment and see how close to AVL will I get…

I have to admit I am impressed with the way AV Linux MX is put together. Logical and aesthetic organization of desktop and relatively low memory footprint. So far seems great for an AV work.
          I will play with this AVL for a while, just now I need to take an hour or two break to shovel snow from driveway and walkway in front of the house…

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by olsztyn.

punranger

Fantastic that two people have already checked out and one even tested the new version, and given such detailed feedback. I’ll surely refer to these comments when installing, and I might forward this to Glen.

I think the attention given to Enlightenment in the video is because it’s a new feature in a distro that has been maintained (by Glen) since 2008, and requires a full reinstall. So it’s quite an important change for previous users. (For me, it’s the change to Pipewire.)

I’m sure quite a lot of the functionality could be applied to antiX, but I get the impression that Glen is a bit like our own @anticapitalista and has his own very specific ideas about what he wants the system to do, and has spent many many hours tweaking it. I really commend him for his efforts.

antiX linux: The best way to revive an old computer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCTaUAP6sSg

olsztyn

Fantastic that two people have already checked out and one even tested the new version, and given such detailed feedback. I’ll surely refer to these comments when installing, and I might forward this to Glen.

Who is the second person who tested and provided feedback? Was his feedback similar to mine or different opinion on AVL?

punranger

Hi @olsztyn, and my apologies! I only now noticed that you posted both the comments in this thread, I have no idea why I didn’t catch on to that. Even more so than before, my most sincere thanks to you for your effort!

olsztyn

Even more so than before, my most sincere thanks to you for your effort!

You are quite welcome… It is fun to play with this version of AVL. Really well done IMO. And I do not mind the author spending a part of his video on merits of Enlightenment. It is a very sophisticated DE and takes some time to become familiar with all capabilities. This was an excellent choice IMO.
                  Thanks again for initiating this thread. I would have missed AVL distro otherwise…

olsztyn

– Expectedly libelogind0 is installed, if I am not mistaken.

I was mistaken after all… After more careful doublechecking, libelogind0 is NOT installed. This is great news, meaning AV Linux is even closer to antiX/Enlightenment and libelogind0-free setup than I expected…

Forum Admin
                    anticapitalista

– Expectedly libelogind0 is installed, if I am not mistaken.

I was mistaken after all… After more careful doublechecking, libelogind0 is NOT installed. This is great news, meaning AV Linux is even closer to antiX/Enlightenment and libelogind0-free setup than I expected…

Don’t they use libsystemd0 and systemd like MX Linux?

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

olsztyn

Don’t they use libsystemd0 and systemd like MX Linux?

Systemd- Yes. Unfortunately.
                        Libelogind0 – No.

Forum Admin
                        anticapitalista

libelogind0 is basically libsystemd0 (which is included on AV Linux)

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

olsztyn

libelogind0 is basically libsystemd0 (which is included on AV Linux)

I see. Thanks for the info. I did not know about these being so tightly connected.
                            I did not understand how libelogind0 could not be installed. Even installation of kdenlive alone entails installation of libelogind0.

Forum Admin
                            anticapitalista

systemd uses libsystemd0 and gives you systemd as init.

elogind is basically systemd without systemd being the init. Same with libelogind0.
                              This is what a lot of so-called systemd-free distros use.
                              Most desktop environments will need systemd or elogind.

There are only a few distros that ship without systemd/libsystemd0, elogind/libelogind0
                              antiX is one of them.

olsztyn

elogind is basically systemd without systemd being the init. Same with libelogind0.

Thank you for all these details of relationship between them. Now I have better understanding.

There are only a few distros that ship without systemd/libsystemd0, elogind/libelogind0
                                antiX is one of them.

I think they are only Devuan and Void, in addition to antiX, if I am not mistaken. BSD varieties (other than Linux) might be also but I did not get that far in verifying this yet.

Forum Admin
                                anticapitalista

I think you’ll find that both Devuan and Void ship with (lib)elogind(0)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 66 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.