AV Linux 23.1 released

Forum Forums General Other Distros AV Linux 23.1 released

• This topic has 65 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated Mar 15-9:07 pm by puredyne.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    abc-nix

elogind is basically systemd without systemd being the init.

elogind is a decoupling of logind, a part of systemd. elogind’s function is to act as a standalone daemon for login management and session tracking, replacing this function from systemd, and making it possible to run systems that require them without the need for systemd’s init.

libelogind is a library that replaces the need to interact with logind of systemd, providing access to elogind’s API. As a library, it helps other programs work, but has no other init or daemon functions. It is used by software that needs to interact with elogind, such as KDE and GNOME. libelogind is not a standalone daemon like elogind.

olsztyn

Thanks @abc-nix for these additional details…
        If both Devuan and Void ships with libelogind0, as corrected by anticapitalista, antiX is the only one I know that satisfies a complete divorce from systemd/elogind totalitarian architecture then, as it seems…

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
        http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

Forum Admin
        anticapitalista

The key words are ‘ships with’.
          Since we use window managers, there is no need for any elogind.
          As soon as a user installs a desktop environment or some components from it, it is very likely that some part of elogind will also get installed.

I no longer have the time nor the inclination to build nosystemd/noelogind packages for any desktop environment.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

olsztyn

I no longer have the time nor the inclination to build nosystemd/noelogind packages for any desktop environment.

Completely understood.
            Good thing the best desktop environments I know do not need elogind/libelogind0. If a DE does need these, I do not need such DE…

puredyne

They released while repartitioning a 2TB SSD was in progress… which took 26 hours… the AVlinux partition had just been moved to the right, leaving the new 244GB space free for boot (14GB) and antix23 (230GB) … AVLinux had been used for the last year and as usual a couple of days of work were required to achieve professional audio performance. If you know how to tinker, you will get good or excellent audio performance with AVLinux. However the system is very obscure. After a year it is very slow and had broken with “apt dist-upgrade”. First of all the choice of heavy WM in AVLinux is terrible. If to obtain professional performance you have to work with iceWM or other more powerful WMs… it is better to use a system already calibrated for high performance desktops.

Time is money. If the system and WM are too slow and heavy this limits audio performance. A good user will be able to make DIVA and Harrison Mixbus work at 384-768 kHz in real time and with multiple sessions. But it is clear that with antix23 the system is much more liquid and reactive.

So the intention… will be to develop an antiX variant for HiFi Audioplayer applications, HD audio production, Hi End digital mastering in the BOX and state of the art computerized analogue mastering.

Be very careful with SSD drives, because they destroy the quality of audio and multimedia playback with magnetic fields and electrical noise. SSD must be separated electrically and shielded magnetically. It is certainly easier to produce or listen to audio with HDDs because they only require a noise filter for the electric motor. The power supply and separation strategies of an audio system are very strict. As well as the DSP and converter can only be built as DIY. The audio products on the market are 99.99% obsolete crap.

SSD EMI Measurements Reference: https://audiophilestyle.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=64024

All laptops, iMacs and the like are excluded from Hi Fi audio player and mastering due to serious system noise problems. The CPU must be low power to contain noise contamination of the stream. Boycott intel because AMD pumps double (half latency). To obtain decent audio playback it is essential: Linear power supply or Power Conditioner with professional Seasonic PSU; SATA-Filter; RAM-Filter; FAN-Filter; BUS-Filter; Low Noise Motherboard; Separate USB Host with extreme liquid streaming performance (ASMEDIA 20GBps seems like the best (digital transport) sound currently but nothing is definitive).

Avanguardia Tempo Reale ~ VÄRÏÄ ~23Mbps~ (((STËRËÖ))) 🔊 🗲ëdüzïönᶒ 🗲üpërsönïcᶏ 🔊 ~ ⏻ 🗲ïstëmᶏ ☉përätïv☉ ⏻ ~☽👑🦅☼ ᵵᶚᶆᵽ☉ 𝖗ᶚᶏᶅᶒ ☼🦅👑☾

olsztyn

AVLinux had been used for the last year and as usual a couple of days of work were required to achieve professional audio performance.

Are you referring here to an older version of AVL? My understanding was the new version has been released very recently – the one the originator of this thread was bringing to our attention…
                I am not familiar with older versions, just the one highlighted in this thread.

First of all the choice of heavy WM in AVLinux is terrible. If to obtain professional performance you have to work with iceWM or other more powerful WMs… it is better to use a system already calibrated for high performance desktops.

Completely agreed. The lighter WM the better, provided it still satisfies needed functionality and ease of use.

But it is clear that with antix23 the system is much more liquid and reactive.

Yes. antiX23 is ideal for performance.

So the intention… will be to develop an antiX variant for HiFi Audioplayer applications, HD audio production, Hi End digital mastering in the BOX and state of the art computerized analogue mastering.

Great news! Thanks for the heads-up… Looking forward to try from the perspective of software architecture and system performance tuning. I am not an audio content creator, just interested in A/V technology in general. Not sure how I would convert my desktop tower to satisfy shielding all noise contamination of audio stream though…

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by olsztyn.
                • This reply was modified 3 months ago by olsztyn.

puredyne

I have no reason to test new AVLinux, it never works with my machines. I have only used AVLinux (debian) for the last 10 years. But an old installation updated for about 8-9 years. Because the new AVLinux releases never worked with the previous extremely professional motherboard for about 10 years. Why does a distribution focused on audio never work with standard UAC protocol? This would make you suspect that the author still uses DSP crap from 25 years ago and doesn’t care about listening and mastering quality. The miserably performing desktop type heavy XFCE makes one suspect the system is designed for proprietary video drivers and for miserable 44-48 kHz audio ignorance.

Sound CDs, DATs and samplers have always disgusted me. On CDs and DATs there was a serious problem of mechanical transport stability. It is random jitter and is the main cause of distortion and cooling of the sounds of an audio stream. In PC or computers, random jitter (up to fragmentation of the stream) is caused by abuse of CPU and RAM resources during the stream. But also from other various system noises and not just SSD and HDD noise. 10 years ago oscilloscope measurements of HDD and SSH indicated that only a SATA filter was needed. But it is also not immediately essential that you already have RAM-Filter and BUS-Filter and low noise power supply. They are modules worth a few cents and can be purchased “in installments”. Sata-Filter and CPU-FAN-Filter can be found from 20-23. It’s not a drama. The VU meters of the onboard ADCs of RME-HDSP or other PCI/PCIe DSPs can be used as a measurement tool. So at 96 kHz a Power Conditioner or a good audio grade switching power supply will display a noise reduction of around 0.5db or 2-3db at 44-48 kHz. The same attenuation effect will be displayed by a CUP-FAN-Filter or two modules RAM-Filter. Using a DSP/DAC with minimal separation and power supply strategies and a separate USB-Host-PCIe card in the PC… a much more relaxed sound of the stream should be audible. Thus reducing fragmentation problems a decent USB Transport and Reclocking works. The medicinal effect of vibrations and the quality of consciousness improve and exaggerate.

For this reason (serious random jitter problem) the DAW will only and always be able to reproduce pre-listening quality in real time. To be able to listen or do analog mastering, the DAW must be exported and reproduced with a liquid audio player. In the Hi Fi playback technologies software we can count them on the fingers of one hand and a Real Time kernel is essential.

Most streaming engineers believed it was only possible to build the Work Station and Liquid Audio Player in two separate systems. With Antinx25 it will be all in one and let’s start with the 23 😉

Avanguardia Tempo Reale ~ VÄRÏÄ ~23Mbps~ (((STËRËÖ))) 🔊 🗲ëdüzïönᶒ 🗲üpërsönïcᶏ 🔊 ~ ⏻ 🗲ïstëmᶏ ☉përätïv☉ ⏻ ~☽👑🦅☼ ᵵᶚᶆᵽ☉ 𝖗ᶚᶏᶅᶒ ☼🦅👑☾

riviman

Sorry for not being able to get in the forum lately, been busy with other stuff. I’ll give it a try.

puredyne

AVLinux is for slow, low sample rate people… it’s lo-fi real time audio

It’s a 5GB ISO… antiX works well, it’s much more liquid… I’m starting to get tired… I’ve been working day and night for too long…. . . . because it breaks continuously… . . . I reinstalled the system 15 times in one week (and did it all over again)… .. . I don’t think antiX will be usable within 2-3 years.. . . . . . . I can’t waste any more time or wait…. . . . for those who are happy with AVLinux it is OK

However, AVLinux users have a higher quality streaming consciousness than the slave masses. They are good relatives like brothers.. . . . I can’t stand slow desktops with animations, You need all the power for audio quality.

Does AVLinux only work with 4K video card? Which model with open source drivers would be recommended for maximum audio quality? with the fullHD open source driver the menus come out of the video and it is not usable with the ugly menu on the left…. .. it is not even usable by installing iceWM due to the transparent terminal… . . . . you will never want to use AVLinux.. . .. .. . even disabling all unnecessary daemons, AVLinux is too slow

you may be forced to migrate to arch.. . . . again wasted the last two days of work with antiX. . .. . . . . it is no longer possible to flash even old ISOs… not even by starting LIVE can snapshots be burned…. . . . . there are unexplainable problems. . . . it’s magic

why would antiX be declared stable? Whatever you touch breaks…

I don’t know if it works… I don’t remember.. . . .. I had already deleted the online one and just reloaded it…. it is the best realtime audio operating system and with the best sound in the world… . . but I’ll have to take a 2-3 year break to work with Artix or something in the meantime…. . . SystemV is interactively addictive

Welcome Beta testers!
                      it is an antiX23 variant: Seduzione Supersonica

Xunzi_23

Hi puredyne, unfortunately
                        https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/19xF6nqQ93xajTynl7NopXi5ZCl515ZwX?usp=sharing

Wants me to have a google account before I can download. Any other way I can get a
                        download please.

Also find AV linux heavy and unresponsive, the desktop choice unfortunate.

I would really like to join in testing, I think some improvements can be enjoyed with the equipment I have
                        at present. My hearing is no longer good enough to warrant big changes, there is a but, I keep on thinking
                        of building some Voigt full range speakers. Clarity and coherence of sound they can produce when well built
                        is amazing.

Many talk big but are listening to/through the tiny (one called it high end) logitech noise devices
                        or cheap and trashy bluetooth headphones. Laptop speakers have a tiny range plus laptops are very noisy devices.
                        Bluetooth is useful for keyboards mice phone earbuds but resamples and keyboard mouse introduce noise to PC so
                        all are a no go for good quality listening.

At least where I live a power conditioner is an essential, easy to build a simple one, as are decent cables.
                        Cables can be made from CAT 6 outdoor cable, using decent connectors they are Just as good a high high end voodoo
                        for big money.

puredyne

It works is stable and fully functional state of the art HiFi audio production.

Don’t worry… Google is your friend… it’s Italian Hyper Search technology

I’m putting it in the droopbox. You won’t like that either

Can you give me a directroy?

If it is possible to link the dropbox, don’t say anything and then we add the link and procedure instructions.

It’s not fully loaded… will be online in 40 minutes
                          Download last ISO and keys per
                          Seduzione Supersonica DVA

* Simply follow this procedure:

1. flash/burn the image
                          2. boot LIVE from USB or DVD
                          3. set language and keyboard and BOOT Liquorix
                          4. LOGIN screen type:

CtrlAltF4
                          loging as root pw root
                          adduser furio
                          passwd
                          CtrAltF7
                          ligin as furio…

Dropbox cannot be linked to free accounts…

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by puredyne.

olsztyn

I don’t think antiX will be usable within 2-3 years.. . . . . . . I can’t waste any more time or wait…. .

Why you do not think antiX will be usable within 2-3 years?
                            antiX is evolving from release to release, with better and better usability. You might want to try to become familiar with antiX’ system related composition. What makes antiX the best in terms of performance it is that it is based on core system, with hardly any overhead, such as no systemd/elogind, which sets antiX apart from other distros.
                            The fact antiX ‘constantly breaks’ for you might be that it requires some understanding of it’s architecture to do do the right things for the system. With some of such care nothing beats antiX’ performance, which is so critical for audio on low powered machines. And low powered machines are best for audio, as such ones do not introduce much electric and magnetic noise, resulting in audio distortion, as you explained in the preceding post.
                            In summary, some understanding of architecture may be needed for antiX, but none other distro fits your requirements of performance, due to much of power is wasted on heavy desktops and overhead…
                            If I misunderstood your assessment I do apologize. This is just my HO and antiX owner may have a different opinion, which should be considered the most authoritative in antiX area, of course…

abc-nix

@puredyne

In your google drive, select the folder you want to share, click the right top (i) icon (view details). On the new pane that opened on the right, under your username click the “Manage Access” button. It will open an emerging window. In said new window, under the “General Access” category, change the option from “Restricted” to “Anyone with the link”. Then click on “Copy Link” and share the link here.

puredyne

OKI…. It was believed a public link had been given…. it’s not there…. . . in the sharing window I found the permission

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/19xF6nqQ93xajTynl7NopXi5ZCl515ZwX?usp=sharing
                                The link should be the same as before

* Not fully loaded now…

Added directory with 44-96-192 kHz 32 float samples mixtapes and live remastering…
                                so 64 bit deep equivalent

olsztyn

It works is stable and fully functional state of the art HiFi audio production.

Thank you @puredyne for your Supersonic antiX edition…
                                  I have downloaded and briefly looked at but will spend more time on this shortly after I install it as Live on the internal SATA hard drive, having dedicated to this one of my laptops.

Quick question in relation to Supersonic antiX:
                                  – You based sound technology on Pipewire as I see, rather than on pure ALSA or Pulseaudio. Was this choice because of antiX default or it was intentional on your part, in which case I would conjecture you do not see any inferiority of sound quality.
                                  – I see a lot of audio apps installed. Have you done any special tuning of sound in addition, or this is just base and such work as audio tuning will come later?

In any case thanks again. I will watch also for more in-depth testing review by our audio experts, particularly Robin and Calciumsodium, as I am not an expert in audio area to do any valid audio evaluation…

After I am done with installation on one of laptops perhaps I might have more questions, if you do not mind…
                                  I greatly appreciate your work on this…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 66 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.