aXd 23.1 beta spin screenshots

Forum Forums antiX-development antiX Respins aXd 23.1 beta spin screenshots

• This topic has 22 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated Apr 22-8:48 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    techore

I wanted to showoff my progress with the aXd (antix-dusk) spin. So much work but progress accelerated this last month. I will be installing to use as my daily driver, finishing packaging a few more applications, then publishing its initial release soon. It always takes longer then I estimate so I won’t give a date.

System init: runit
      Seat management: seatd
      Display manager: greetd
      Greeter: tuigreet
      Window manager: dusk (a fork of dwm)
      Status bar: slstatus
      Screen saver/lock: slock
      Terminal: urxvt
      Shell: zsh
      Color theme: nord
      GTK/Qt themes: nord, WIP and pulling my hair out!
      Text editor: neovim with kickstart.nvim
      File manager: vifm
      System monitor: btop++
      Internet browser: qutebrowser

More screenshots found at https://imgur.com/a/44siM8n

Comments and feedback appreciated!

Forum Admin
      rokytnji

Is conky going to be there and keystrokes added to conky. For dummies like me. 🙂

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
        I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
        Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
        How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

techore

Is conky going to be there and keystrokes added to conky. For dummies like me.

You and me, both, but I prefer to think of it as being forgetful. 😀

@rokytnji, I would love your opinion on the topic of keybinding cheatsheets.

Previously, I used conky to display transparently on the desktop and used rofi to select different cheatsheets. It worked well but I am revisiting prior decisions as I develop aXd in hopes of discovering better solutions. Currently, I am considering stealing, er, borrowing heavily from MX Linux’s mxfb-keybindings yad application. The primary benefit is being able to tile or float the window to reference the keybindings versus flipping back and forth between workspaces to view the desktop.

1) See the attached for my initial mock up–ignore the default and hideous gtk theme.

2) If I move to yad versus conky for cheatsheets, I may or may not include conky but I don’t feel strongly one way or the other.

Please share your thoughts on both topics.

PPC

I’ve not tested axd, so I’ll just give opinions on the UI questions:

1- I like the yad “helper” idea. The theme is a regular light one, I see no problem with it (but I do prefer darker themes)
            2- My opinion: move to the yad “helper”, keep a conky, maybe with the very essential shortcut keys (app launcher, close window, terminal, exit and yad helper)

I love the toolbar… I just never got why tiling window managers usually have the toolbar on top (I’m fine either way, I even like the MacOS idea of a bar on top and a dock on the bottom, if the dock “intelihides” it’s a near perfect solution)

techore

@ppc, I appreciate the feedback.

The window manager, dusk, is installed using a debian package. I have provided support for users to change fonts and colors using .Xresources, but more drastic changes would require ‘apt-get source dusk’. With the source, add or delete patches to customize as desired including moving the statusbar.

The default application launcher is dmenu or the app menu, the upper left green button, both use rofi. (I had a root menu at one point, but I dropped it due a couple bugs and its author has not had a commit in almost a year nor responded to issues.)

If I was to provide a more conventional launcher, I would probably use tint2. Nothing about aXd prevents its use but it does break my premise of a UI that gets out of the way and is keyboard-centric.

I did want mouse support for casual use, thus the app and power buttons on the status bar. Sometimes, I watch the random video or play mahjong while drinking coffee. Drinking coffee is the priority, so I wanted to operate using a mouse. Yes, I could have worked very hard to ensure all the keybinds where one-handed, but.. too much work. 😀

Keep the suggestions coming. I may not adopt a suggestion, but I do try to explore each with an eye towards my personal use and maintainability.

techore

keep a conky, maybe with the very essential shortcut keys (app launcher, close window, terminal, exit and yad helper)

Thinking on this for it is a good idea. I had considered removing conky for outside of displaying cheatsheets, previously, I don’t use it. A new user would need some kind of hint where to start and conky could provide the information and a keybinding to open the cheatsheet reference. It would be a simple matter for the user to change conky to his or her desired theme or disable all together from .xinitrc once comfortable with basic navigation.

Merits serious consideration for inclusion. Thank you!

Forum Admin
                rokytnji

My cheat sheets are lazy.

https://vifm.info/cheatsheets.shtml

https://cheatography.com/moh-attar/cheat-sheets/shortcuts/

Still learning. I like your rofl idea better. I’ll usually run a cheat sheet wallpaper till I get comfy. Or keep some in my Documents folder for later reference.
                  I’m kinda slow.

harry@antiX-23.1:~/Documents
                  $ ls
                  bullshit_mc.pdf  i3-cheat-sheet.txt  ranger_cheat_sheet.png  T510_manual.pdf

techore

@rokytnji, I like ppc’s idea of retaining a conky with the essential window manager keybinds for basic navigation. The conky theme will, also, direct the operator to axdkbhelp, new name that will probably change before I am done, for the more extensive keybind list.

This assumes axdkbhelp works satisfactory. Otherwise, it will tossed into the bin. That has happened several times with other solutions in the development of aXd.

If you adopt aXd and continue to prefer using conky instead yad for the complete list of keybinds, let me know. I am open to revising antix-dwm rofi/conky cheatsheets for your use. It is a small thing for me to do to express my gratitude for the help and encouragement.

Thank you, both, for the feedback and expressing your opinion.

Forum Admin
                    rokytnji

I wish to try this out on a n270 clambook I have on the shelf.

2 gig ram. N270 Atom cpu. 30 gig spinning hard drive.

32 bit iso I guess. Need to learn new tricks. If too much trouble for 32 bit. I guess I could try making my own core iso. Install what you installed.
                      It would not go anywhere but would stay on external drive .

techore

The release will be 64 bit, but 32 bit may be a possibility. May be a fun challenge for myself.

I am kicking myself for giving away my last 32 bit laptop. During COVID19, I installed Linux on most of my old computers and gave them away to people for their kids or themselves to use. I was surprised to find so many people needing computers. I may need to peruse ebay and purchase an older 32 bit computer for testing.

PPC

I may need to peruse ebay and purchase an older 32 bit computer for testing.

If I were you, I would first try testing in a 32bits virtual machine… That would be cheaper. If you can, then buying a 32bits computer should be cheap, assuming you buy something that is still in a working state… On ebay there are some 32bits laptops for sale for a few dozen euros (https://pt.ebay.com/b/32-Bit-Laptop/177/bn_7023410706)

P.

techore

@ppc, very true! Using a VM gives me the opportunity to take my time to snag a decent 32 bit at a good price, too. Thank you.

techore

Finished the keybinds help, kbhelp, for the dusk window manager. Approximately eighty key binds! As I create additional application keybind references, things may change but I believe this is mostly complete. I have attached it for the courious and welcome feedback–named kbhelp.txt to permit uploading but it is a shell script.

Next task is to create the conky theme with the essential dusk keybinds and notify the operator to use the keybind helper for the more complete list of keybinds.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks ago by techore.
                              Forum Admin
                              rokytnji

Downloaded .txt file for later.

techore

@rokytnji, renamed it, minor formating changes, and fixed a few typos. I think that I am done!

Here is its package repo.

https://gitlab.com/techore/keybindhelp

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.