aXd Linux – antiX 23.1 runit x64 Unofficial Spin

Forum Forums antiX-development antiX Respins aXd Linux – antiX 23.1 runit x64 Unofficial Spin

• This topic has 38 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated Jun 4-4:34 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Brian Masinick

I know many quick vi key bindings and I have tried the qutebrowser, noting the bindings. In fact that’s one reason why I still occasionally use vi and Emacs – to keep familiarity with both of their default bindings.

Good stuff!

--
      Brian Masinick

Forum Admin
      rokytnji

Downloaded and checked md5sum is as far as I got.

Now to figure out what 64bit box to install this on.
        No pressure here. Just moseying around.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
        I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
        Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
        How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Brian Masinick

@rokytnji Have you ever tried a dwm or dusk window manager configuration?
          I’ve tried one a couple of times but I’ve never become familiar with it,
          but thanks to the information that @techore puts on the main display page
          it’s at least possible to get this going.

Pressing the “Super” key and d
          (Super is the “windows key” on some computers;
          on my HP-14 it actually has a black and white windows logo on it,
          Not too difficult to spot. On most keyboards it is on the left hand
          side – from the left on mine – Ctrl, fn, Super (win), Alt, then the
          space bar; this may differ slightly on different vendor keyboards.

--
          Brian Masinick

Forum Admin
          rokytnji

Don’t know much about nothing trying this out. Doing it more to learn how to use keybinds than anything else.
            I am paying attention to posts in this thread though.
            No worries though here.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
            I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
            Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
            How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Brian Masinick

I think that I see where most of the aXd stuff is configured –
              since you’re running zsh I followed the trail from .zshrc and found
              a bunch of long filenames that have various configurations;
              IF I follow the trail through them, I see some of the settings that
              have been created.

Given your use of zsh instead of bash if I felt like messing with
              things myself, I could “hack” around with the zsh setup.

I *think* I got it, but of course there are mountains of things
              possible with both dwm and dusk, just as there are many things
              that can be configured IF you use the hundreds of available
              preferences in IceWM. It would take a while to become an expert
              in this very capable environment!

--
              Brian Masinick

techore

@masinick, I tried to create uniformity between bash and zsh. I bounce between the two and tire of being bitten when using bash scripts and not having relatively uniform $ENV.

~/.bashrc and ~/.config/zsh/.zshrc (and other .z files) but you will see files in /etc/axd/ being sourced from both. These are environment variables and other shared components. I dislike the axd directory name but couldn’t think of an alternative that was synonymous to commonshellstuffhere. /shrug. It was near the end of the build and I was tired.

😀

Brian Masinick

I break the most stuff when I am tired.
                  That’s why I keep an excellent supply of Flash Drives with various images and snapshots. If I decide to change things or I break it I can quickly install it again.

Actually I did this some time in April and I had to do all of my distributions again. It gave me an opportunity to reorganize and it ended up working out better. I made a couple of new snapshot images to accelerate the installation process and it went well.

--
                  Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

Regarding bash and zsh, and also the Bourne and Korn shells, IF scripts are written primarily using Bourne compatible commands, it’s possible to use them in any shell with Bourne origins. There are some Bash and Korn shell improvements that may be worth using in some “advanced” scripts; however, if Bourne Shell syntax is adhered to, THEN it is possible to invoke those shells using /bin/sh, which, as we were discussing recently, is actually the Dash shell. The advantage to running with simple syntax and executing non-interactively with Dash is much more system and memory efficient scripts; notice “non-interactive” only for Dash; when that is possible, the gains are significant.

In increasing order of size and complexity (smallest to largest): Bourne Shell (sh), dash, Korn, Bash, Zsh.

--
                    Brian Masinick

techore

Brian, I agree.

More often than not, bash and zsh were fine but dash was being a pill due to it not supporting bashisms. Usually, you can just set the execution environment to bash but I struggled to figure out some scripts that were executed during different run levels–a knowledge gap I need to close. I ran into that scenario once or twice building aXd. I, also, had zsh puke errors. Fortunately, zsh has an “emulate” function for bash compatibility but I choose to rewrite scripts to be posix compliant to resolve issues with both dash and zsh. shellcheck was very helpful and made the task nearly painless.

Brian Masinick

Brian, I agree.

More often than not, bash and zsh were fine but dash was being a pill due to it not supporting bashisms. Usually, you can just set the execution environment to bash but I struggled to figure out some scripts that were executed during different run levels. I ran into that scenario once or twice building aXd. I, also, had zsh puke errors. Fortunately, zsh has an “emulate” function for bash compatibility but I choose to rewrite scripts to be posix compliant to resolve issues with both dash and zsh. shellcheck was very helpful and made the task nearly painless.

That is because dash is NOT created to support “bash”-isms, it’s more of a modern implementation of the Bourne Shell, except it’s not even interactive; it is only intended for background, non-interactive system level scripts.

The “functions” I write wouldn’t work in dash, but most of the stuff I write probably would with only small changes. I believe that dash will support alias definitions, for instance, and also simple for loops and if statements.

I could probably rewrite the functions without a function declaration and they may work; I’ll look into more of what dash can and cannot do in the days and weeks ahead.

--
                        Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick
                          inxi -zv4 ### INSTALLED it today!
                          System:
                            Kernel: 6.1.60-antix.1-amd64-smp arch: x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc
                              v: 12.2.0
                            Desktop: dusk v: 1.0 Distro: antiX-23.1-runit-aXd_spin_x64 May 12 2024
                              base: Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)
                          Machine:
                            Type: Laptop System: HP product: HP Laptop 14-fq1xxx v: N/A
                              serial: <superuser required>
                            Mobo: HP model: 887C v: 59.11 serial: <superuser required> UEFI: AMI
                              v: F.18 date: 11/26/2021
                          Battery:
                            ID-1: BAT0 charge: 38.5 Wh (99.5%) condition: 38.7/38.7 Wh (100.0%)
                              volts: 12.8 min: 11.3 model: HP Primary status: not charging
                          CPU:
                            Info: 6-core model: AMD Ryzen 5 5500U with Radeon Graphics bits: 64
                              type: MT MCP arch: Zen 2 rev: 1 cache: L1: 384 KiB L2: 3 MiB L3: 8 MiB
                            Speed (MHz): avg: 1408 high: 1515 min/max: 1400/4056 boost: enabled cores:
                              1: 1397 2: 1400 3: 1397 4: 1400 5: 1397 6: 1400 7: 1397 8: 1400 9: 1515
                              10: 1400 11: 1397 12: 1400 bogomips: 50308
                            Flags: avx avx2 ht lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm
                          Graphics:
                            Device-1: AMD Lucienne vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: amdgpu v: kernel
                              arch: GCN-5 bus-ID: 03:00.0 temp: 39.0 C
                            Device-2: Chicony HP TrueVision HD Camera driver: uvcvideo type: USB
                              bus-ID: 1-3:3
                            Display: server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.7 driver: X: loaded: amdgpu
                              unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,radeon,vesa dri: radeonsi gpu: amdgpu
                              resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
                            API: OpenGL v: 4.6 vendor: amd mesa v: 22.3.6 glx-v: 1.4
                              direct-render: yes renderer: AMD Radeon Graphics (renoir LLVM 15.0.6 DRM
                              3.49 6.1.60-antix.1-amd64-smp)
                          Network:
                            Device-1: Realtek vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: rtw89_8852ae v: kernel
                              port: f000 bus-ID: 01:00.0
                            IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
                          Drives:
                            Local Storage: total: 238.47 GiB used: 20.91 GiB (8.8%)
                            ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 vendor: Toshiba model: KBG40ZNV256G KIOXIA
                              size: 238.47 GiB temp: 32.9 C
                          Partition:
                            ID-1: / size: 61.29 GiB used: 3.84 GiB (6.3%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/nvme0n1p5
                          Info:
                            Memory: total: 8 GiB note: est. available: 7.1 GiB used: 1.41 GiB (19.8%)
                            Processes: 248 Uptime: 21m Init: runit runlevel: 2
                            Packages: 1066 Compilers: N/A Shell: Zsh v: 5.9 inxi: 3.3.34

--
                          Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

Copied my ~/bin directory from my main partition; now I have pinxi here too.

pinxi -zv4
                            System:
                              Kernel: 6.1.60-antix.1-amd64-smp arch: x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc
                                v: 12.2.0
                              Desktop: dusk v: 1.0 Distro: antiX-23.1-runit-aXd_spin_x64 May 12 2024
                                base: Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)
                            Machine:
                              Type: Laptop System: HP product: HP Laptop 14-fq1xxx v: N/A
                                serial: <superuser required>
                              Mobo: HP model: 887C v: 59.11 serial: <superuser required> UEFI: AMI
                                v: F.18 date: 11/26/2021
                            Battery:
                              ID-1: BAT0 charge: 38.5 Wh (99.5%) condition: 38.7/38.7 Wh (100.0%)
                                volts: 12.7 min: 11.3 model: HP Primary status: not charging
                            CPU:
                              Info: 6-core model: AMD Ryzen 5 5500U with Radeon Graphics bits: 64
                                type: MT MCP arch: Zen 2 rev: 1 cache: L1: 384 KiB L2: 3 MiB L3: 8 MiB
                              Speed (MHz): avg: 1458 high: 2100 min/max: 1400/4056 boost: enabled cores:
                                1: 1397 2: 1400 3: 1400 4: 1400 5: 1400 6: 1400 7: 1400 8: 1400 9: 2100
                                10: 1400 11: 1400 12: 1400 bogomips: 50308
                              Flags: avx avx2 ht lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm
                            Graphics:
                              Device-1: AMD Lucienne vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: amdgpu v: kernel
                                arch: GCN-5 bus-ID: 03:00.0 temp: 43.0 C
                              Device-2: Chicony HP TrueVision HD Camera driver: uvcvideo type: USB
                                bus-ID: 1-3:3
                              Display: server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.7 driver: X: loaded: amdgpu
                                unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,radeon,vesa dri: radeonsi gpu: amdgpu
                                resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
                              API: OpenGL v: 4.6 vendor: amd mesa v: 22.3.6 glx-v: 1.4
                                direct-render: yes renderer: AMD Radeon Graphics (renoir LLVM 15.0.6 DRM
                                3.49 6.1.60-antix.1-amd64-smp)
                            Network:
                              Device-1: Realtek vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: rtw89_8852ae v: kernel
                                port: f000 bus-ID: 01:00.0
                              IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
                            Drives:
                              Local Storage: total: 238.47 GiB used: 21.15 GiB (8.9%)
                              ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 vendor: Toshiba model: KBG40ZNV256G KIOXIA
                                size: 238.47 GiB temp: 30.9 C
                            Partition:
                              ID-1: / size: 61.29 GiB used: 4.08 GiB (6.7%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/nvme0n1p5
                            Info:
                              Memory: total: 8 GiB note: est. available: 7.1 GiB used: 1.4 GiB (19.7%)
                              Processes: 249 Uptime: 31m Init: runit runlevel: 2
                              Packages: 1066 Compilers: N/A Shell: Bash v: 5.2.15 pinxi: 3.3.34-11

--
                            Brian Masinick

techore

Nice! Going to push some package updates in the next couple weeks.

Got feedback via a discord community from a user of aXd. Guy has been using it as his daily driver. He was very kind.

Brian Masinick

Nice! Going to push some package updates in the next couple weeks.

Got feedback via a discord community from a user of aXd. Guy has been using it as his daily driver. He was very kind.

That’s encouraging; with aXd now installed, I can gradually gain experience and finger feel with it; I’m getting better with it already. I also have QUITE a COLLECTION of antiX variations installed on my HP-14! I can experiment with various init using init-diversity, I have my standard runit setup, sysVinit using the @calciumsodium respin and I decided, if I can do all of that, why not install YOURS too; so I’m now on day two with aXd installed as well as additional time using it from my Flash Drive.

--
                                Brian Masinick

techore

Excellent. Get me feedback. There is always room for improvement. My only real struggle is time and knowledge.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.