Bento antiX i486 May, 23rd, 2021

Forum Forums antiX-development antiX Respins Bento antiX i486 May, 23rd, 2021

• This topic has 5 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated May 30-1:31 am by melodie.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    melodie

Hello,

here is a presentation of this spinoff. I will be awaiting feedback : for the presentation because I always need some when it comes to English language, and feedback for the distro, on real machine if possible.
    Please enjoy, share and make the most of it.

Bento Openbox antiX i486

Size: 658 Mb
    Md5sum: 969ff961b15e765728d02a08a25cdc0f
    Bento antiX i486 is a respin from the distribution antiX Linux 32bit system with an i486 kernel, and with some help from members of the antiX forum https: //www.antixforum.com

The wallpaper comes from a Charlie Henson background on https://gnome-look.org.

User level : beginners and up.
    Hardware requirements : from 1 GB RAM, 2 GB recommended, and 730 Mhz processor minimum + 7200 RPM HDD or SSD (PATA or SATA).

Information
    antiX is a GNU/Linux distribution that has been around for many years. It is lightweight and designed to run on aging computers. It makes use of the former init system instead of SystemD.

Bento antiX further simplifies the use of antiX by keeping only the body of the system and dressing it up with a single environment built from a few selected programs, some of them which have been developed over a decade, first for a PCLinuxOS remaster, then for an Ubuntu remix, then to antiX starting 2020.

The Openbox environment requires a small amount of RAM and a low amount of processor power.

Thanks to Openbox configurations provided out-of-the-box and a single desktop environment, Bento antiX makes it easy for users to handle a GNU/Linux system designed to run on most older computers, some as old as 20 years.
    The installation disk image is less than 700 MB so it can be burned to CDROM if needed.

Bento antiX is easy to customize and upgrade, mainly thanks to the antiX and Debian package repositories on which the Synaptic package manager relies.

Main programs
    Synaptic : Package manager, it allows you to add more applications for current use ;
    Epiphany-browser : Lightweight web browser ;
    Leafpad : Very small text editor ;
    Xpdf : Lightweight pdf viewer ;
    Xarchiver : Lightweight archive manager ;
    Gparted : Partitionning tool ;
    Iso-snapshot-antix : Rebuild your running system as a disk image which can be then used for a new install ;
    Connman-ui : Lightweight network management tool.

Features
    Kernel : linux-image-5.2.15-antix.1-486-smp ;
    Openbox + openbox-menu + obsession : an advanced window manager and its complements ;
    PCManFM : file manager ;
    Lxpanel : classic dashboard with application menu, notification area, quick launchers etc.
    ArandR : configure the screen resolution ;
    Lxappearance : configure the appearance of various parts of the environment ;
    Tint2 : very light dashboard (not activated by default) ;
    Sakura : light and configurable terminal with BASH shell :
    Zram : for an extra memory amount.

The default user in the live is demo, with the password demo, and the root user has the password root.

Downloads
    https: //downloads.linuxvillage.org

• This topic was modified 4 months ago by melodie.
    • This topic was modified 4 months ago by melodie.
    Attachments:
    PPC
    Helpful
    Up

It looks a lot like a previous bento version I remember testing and providing feedbak…
    Dang, you make me fell lazy because I’m not also creating a cool antiX spin off.

From the pics you provide I can only say that you kept the “retro” look of the default icon set and toolbar. I love the wallpaper, not too sure about the default colors (hey, I’m strange, I’m one of the very few people that think that the default all green look of Bodhi Linux is a cool bold choice).
    I would probably go for zzzfm configured with a trash can as default file manager, but I respect using the venerable pcmanfm… I love tint2, but I find sakura a bit “strange”. zram is also a nice touch, to try to make the best of low RAM systems.

I’ll probably provide some real feedbak once I download na ISO and test it in VM.

A lot of work and care went into making your disto… May I ask if you have any general idea of how many users bento has?

P.

melodie
    Helpful
    Up

It looks a lot like a previous bento version I remember testing and providing feedbak…
    Dang, you make me fell lazy because I’m not also creating a cool antiX spin off.

Well never mind! (He he maybe you will make a spin out of my spin? :p )

From the pics you provide I can only say that you kept the “retro” look of the default icon set and toolbar.

I sure did. This one has a few small improvements compared to the previous, after I have built an antiX 64bits it seemed natural to update the i486 and bring in improvements. Also in the very old laptop where I test and use it (Asus A4D, 18 years old, 2 GB RAM 333Mhz, processeur AMD 3000+ : a real deal ! XD ), I added the Electron version of Midori (unavailable out there now, exept for anyone willing to compile), (Midori 1.1.4), and also there was no sound, so I went inside the Devuan distro to see what they had done. They did a package to make pulseaudio work (non systemd as well) and a conf file to prevent the system from loading the nvidia modem driver which is the same as the sound driver. I added the Devuan repos, got the package, and next I’ll test Devuan repos inside antiX instead of Debian repos.

I love the wallpaper, not too sure about the default colors

I hope many will like it, else I’ll change the whole look and feel

(hey, I’m strange, I’m one of the very few people that think that the default all green look of Bodhi Linux is a cool bold choice).

can you provide a link to some pics?

I would probably go for zzzfm configured with a trash can as default file manager

I don’t know this one. Is it end users friendly?

I love tint2

There is a default config for tint2 for a starter but it is Lxpanel which is the default.

but I find sakura a bit “strange”

I invite you to do a right click in the console, and see the different options you can use?

zram is also a nice touch, to try to make the best of low RAM systems.

One script to be able to deactivate and activate zram from a menu in the System menus would be something to consider. What do you think?

I’ll probably provide some real feedbak once I download na ISO and test it in VM.

Great. And if you see some old lappies around, try it on them too!

A lot of work and care went into making your disto… May I ask if you have any general idea of how many users bento has? P.

No I don’t. I know some are happy to get some of them and use them. I also hope many more will also do so in the future.

Do we know how many users use antiX?

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by melodie.
    Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    Helpful
    Up

Forum dashboard shows aprox. rounded off here about 2,500 members.

When and if I get the time and feel better. I might give this whirl on my IBM t23

Old post specs:

$ inxi -Fxz
    System:    Host: biker Kernel: 4.9.75-antix.2-486-smp i686 bits: 32 gcc: 6.3.0 Desktop: IceWM 1.4.2
               Distro: antiX-17_386-full Heather Heyer 24 October 2017
    Machine:   Device: laptop System: IBM product: 26474MU serial: N/A
               Mobo: IBM model: 26474MU serial: N/A BIOS: IBM v: 1AET64WW (1.20 ) date: 10/18/2006
    Battery    BAT0: charge: 36.9 Wh 99.8% condition: 37.0/56.2 Wh (66%) model: BATSZ IBM-COMPATIBLE status: N/A
    CPU:       Single core Mobile Intel Pentium III - M (-UP-) arch: P6 III rev.4 cache: 512 KB
               flags: (pae sse) bmips: 2397 speed: 1200 MHz (max)
    Graphics:  Card: S3 Graphics SuperSavage IX/C SDR bus-ID: 01:00.0
               Display Server: X.Org 1.19.2 driver: vesa Resolution: 1024x768@0.00hz
               OpenGL: renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.9, 128 bits)
               version: 3.3 Mesa 13.0.6 Direct Render: Yes
    Audio:     Card Intel 82801CA/CAM AC'97 Audio Controller driver: snd_intel8x0 ports: 1c00 18c0 bus-ID: 00:1f.5
               Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.9.75-antix.2-486-smp
    Network:   Card-1: Intel 82801CAM (ICH3) PRO/100 VE (LOM) Ethernet Controller
               driver: e100 v: 3.5.24-k2-NAPI port: 6400 bus-ID: 02:08.0
               IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
               Card-2: Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI driver: rt61pci v: 2.3.0 bus-ID: 07:00.0
               IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
    Drives:    HDD Total Size: 112.2GB (19.1% used)
               ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST980815A size: 80.0GB
               ID-2: USB /dev/sdb model: USB_2.0_FD size: 32.2GB
    Partition: ID-1: / size: 7.9G used: 3.1G (42%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
               ID-2: /home size: 18G used: 1.1G (7%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda3
               ID-3: swap-1 size: 2.15GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda2
    Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 54.0C mobo: 47.0C
               Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 4838
    Info:      Processes: 151 Uptime: 3:18 Memory: 248.5/1002.5MB Init: SysVinit runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 6.3.0
               Client: Shell (bash 4.4.121) inxi: 2.3.53 

Ive used sakura terminal in the past. I am not great fan though of pcfam and openbox though. Just druthers.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    I'm not outa place. I'm from outer space.

Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

PPC
    Helpful
    Up

can you provide a link to some pics?

There’s one available in their home page over at bodhilinux.com

I would probably go for zzzfm configured with a trash can as default file manager

I don’t know this one. Is it end users friendly?

It’s a fork of spacefm (that’s a fork of pcmanfm)- It was forked by a forum member, Skidoo, get it here: https://gitlab.com/antix-contribs
    (It’s way more user friendly if you turn on the bookmarks tab and configure the default bookmarks ( downloads, pictures, music, movies and trash), like I said, you have to manually set up trash (I have a post about doing it on spacefm, it’s the same in zzzfm)- ” very good things about zzzfm? It’s extremely light and 100% (or very close to it) localized in many languages…

One script to be able to deactivate and activate zram from a menu in the System menus would be something to consider. What do you think?

Probably a simple switcher GUI window made in yad, or a menu entry (easier to do) would make it perfect for non techies…

melodie
    Helpful
    Up

Probably a simple switcher GUI window made in yad, or a menu entry (easier to do) would make it perfect for non techies…

Hi, if someone having the know-how it would be nice to get.

Also last time I have had to struggle to get zram loaded automatically at boot and configured the way I wanted it. And at some point while testing Devuan which is also a SystemD free distribution, some people from their community showed me several ways to make it work. Here is one of the ways, which I used also for antiX : http://meets.free.fr/files/zram-devuan.zip. Maybe will you be interested to have a look and tell me if it is very different from the one coming from the antiX repos (and how hard would it be to make it a separate package?)

• This reply was modified 3 months, 4 weeks ago by melodie.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.