(Solved) Bento Openbox antiX- how to have “Desktop” in live? (untranslated)

Forum Forums antiX-development antiX Respins (Solved) Bento Openbox antiX- how to have “Desktop” in live? (untranslated)

• This topic has 7 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated Jul 2-8:09 am by melodie.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    melodie

Hello,

Thanks to the Snapshot feature, this project is starting to come nicely. https://capucine.phillw.org/ . As you can see, the ISO ” [ ] bento-antiX-20191220_1842.iso 2019-12-21 14:13 698M ” is small enough to fit in a CDROM, which is good for some machines. The last ISOs made are done with 2.8 to 2.9 GB, not more (with max compression as available in the isosnapshot config file).

Several iterations have been done, which are not perfect as a live, but totally usable once installed. One thing I wanted was to have the installer launcher on the Desktop in the live, which did happen once. But, the time before last : oops! A message stated “there is no Desktop”. So I redid an iso a few days later after some updates came in. Now, alas oops, in the French live session I have found “Bureau” (translation for Desktop). However this is something not usually seen in a live system because then the installer launcher can’t make it’s way to the Desktop!

(You would not fancy the script with

“elsif <language a>
    “elsif <language b>
    … ”

We’d never see the end of it? 🙂

So could it be fixed? Can I fix it myself for the Bento Openbox antiX respins?

Thanks for your help! And thanks for all your work!

Best regards and wishing all a very nice end of year!

• This topic was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by melodie.
    • This topic was modified 11 months, 3 weeks ago by melodie.
    skidoo
    Helpful
    Up
    :D

“there is no Desktop”

Where? A message “stated by” what?

If a the rox desktop (icon) manager is running, it will display icons for each [Desktop Entry] item present within ~/Desktop/

If the spaceFM desktop (icon) manager is running, it will display icons for each “line item” specified within ~/.config/spacefm/desktop0

If Openbox has an icon manager component (I do not know)… you may have received “there is no Desktop” by trying to drag (?) something onto the root window, or while using a (an antiX -provided?) utility which expects to find rox desktop manager running, or ???

v—– preseed by placing copies of [Desktop Entry] items here
    /etc/skel/Desktop/
    /etc/.config/spacefm/desktop0
    ^—– preseed by creating, or copying, a suitably populated desktop0 file

skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

https://capucine.phillw.org/miscellaneous/Debian/etcskel.tar.xz

.etc/skel/.synaptic/synaptic.conf

v—- In case this was accidental / oversight, I’ll suggest “0” here:

Install-Recommends “1”;

skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

https://capucine.phillw.org/miscellaneous/bento-dev/1-filesystem-bento-openbox.png

You are using pcmanfm as the desktop manager?
    If so, refer to its docs to check where it expects to find the [Desktop Entry] desktop icon files

Forum Admin
    Dave
    Helpful
    Up

If a the rox desktop (icon) manager is running, it will display icons for each [Desktop Entry] item present within ~/Desktop/

If the spaceFM desktop (icon) manager is running, it will display icons for each “line item” specified within ~/.config/spacefm/desktop0

Unless things have changed I think this is backward. Spacefm was capable of displaying desktop files in ~/Desktop/ and Rox used a pinboard file in ~/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/

Spacefm does utilize the file you list as well but Iirc it is used with ~/Desktop/ where the lines in that file are used for grid layout purposes.

Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening Windows. ~Author Unknown

melodie
    Helpful
    Up

Hello here!

It seems I got it all wrong when I asked my question, because Skidoo and Dave’s answers fail to answer it.

I’ll try to rephrase:

My goal is to get the installer icon launcher on the Desktop. For this purpose I have arranged scripts to manage it. The scripts say (roughly explained)

“If we are in a Live system, please copy the “/path/to/antiX-installer.desktop” file to “$HOME/Desktop/”.

So has it worked? Yes, it did work once. Yet I was not satisfied for another reason (the iso was too big so I figured I’d redo it before spreading the news). But the following version didn’t have a Desktop at all! (A windowed message stated “There is no Desktop in this session” !). IT IS NOT ABOUT ICONS. IT IS ABOUT REAL DESKTOP.

So a pair of days later I updated my build machine and redid the ISO. This time there is a Desktop ! But, instead of being named “Desktop” as in most live distributions, it (whatever language you pick using F2 at the start of the live), “Desktop” has been translated into my language, in French, “Bureau”.

ONCE AGAIN THE ICONS DON’T MATTER HERE!

So, next what happens to my installer launcher? Well, it happens this:

“we are in a Live system, then copy the “/path/to/antiX-installer.desktop” file to “$HOME/Desktop/”.

and Desktop does not exist, so what I get is:

The directory “$HOME/Bureau/” is empty, and “antix-installer.desktop” becomes a file under /home : “$HOME/Desktop” where “Desktop” is the installer laucher, but without the x bit, and looking just like a regular file.

So that’s a fail.

My question is : how can I change the behavior of the snapshot scripts so that the live system has a default “$HOME/Desktop” directory, no matter the language chosen at the start?

Thanks for your kind help! 😀

(Also you can give it a whirl, it’s very snappy in oldies, and boots till the end even if there is only 1.5 GB RAM).

skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

how can I change the behavior of the snapshot scripts

As far as I know, short of editing/recompiling the isosnapshot and / or gazelle(?) installer executables, you cannot. Instead, you can create workaround by placing a line within the session startup file

mkdir -p ~/Desktop && cp /etc/skel/Desktop/minstall.desktop ~/Desktop/minstall.desktop

To accommodate users of various locales, your script could do this:

target=$(xdg-user-dir Desktop)
    mkdir -p $target && cp /etc/skel/Desktop/minstall.desktop $target/minstall.desktop

https://us-bz3.devzing.com/mx_antix/
    Toward achiving a real solution (vs workaround), you might submit a formal bug report.
    The bug: gazelle installer creates a “localized” (XDG_CONFIG_DIRS) Desktop directory, but isosnapshot and the other utilities (and excludes lists, and possibly installed-to-live) are hardcoded to expect a directory named “Desktop”.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by skidoo.
    melodie
    Helpful
    Up

Hi,
    it has been solved by sourcing the $HOME/.config/user-dirs.dirs file in the script. It’s not my finding, but I am glad to say it’s now solved for any language!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.