Bento Openbox antiX online!

Forum Forums antiX-development antiX Respins Bento Openbox antiX online!

• This topic has 4 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated Jul 26-7:23 am by melodie.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    melodiemelodie

Hello,

This respin is less than 700MB large, has used the i486 kernel version for it’s construction.

It uses Debian Buster repositories, I just activated SID once in order to get a newer version of lightdm and it’s dependencies, and deactivated it again right after. The lightdm login has a modern look for everyday use, with the drop down menu for the user name.

The web browser is Epiphany Browser. The look and feel is as Lxde, but no Lxde, only a few components, and Openbox (lxpanel, openbox-menu, lxappearance, config for qt5… Synaptic is there as your friend to add everything you wish for).

Of course I kept all the good desktop files and scripts. Just some are hidden. If you want them back, just change “NoDisplay” from “false” to “true” in the relevant desktop files: in $HOME/.local/share/applications and in /usr/share/applications/antix/

It’s *almost* glitches-less!

Glitches :
    * during install choosing “boot directly to desktop ” does not work
    * After install once Synaptic is started after refreshing one of the antiX sources ends with a 404 not found.
    * At the login screen the power and other buttons won’t work.
    I have not found how to fix it.
    * I have added dhcpcd5 in this edition, I should not have, it triggers a warning at shutdown. I’ll remove it in a next remix.
    * At boot time there is a strange message: “Warning: Unknown Level Key type PC_SUPER_LEVEL_2”
    I suppose it comes from one of the typical antiX files where several setups have been provided, but I don’t know what and which I should remove. Any tips there are welcome.

You can have a look at the screenshot attached, and even better, get it here : http://downloads.linuxvillage.org.

Thanks for your feedback and enjoy!

• This topic was modified 1 month ago by melodie.

If I test this, it will only be on a virtual machine, but a full desktop with desktop icons and a conky running on less of 100 Mb of idle RAM? Very nicely done!
    The “start” menu, at first seemed to me to be the “Apple” logo… I had to zoom in to realize it’s a dog’s head?
    SAnd it has a trash can ( I had to work hard to make one work with SpaceFM on my default antiX full)!
    The only thing I would change is the icon set, that does look a bit “old school”.
    Congrats on what seems like a very low specs OS!

melodiemelodie

Hello PPC,

this pic is also in Virtualbox. For some reason, you need to boot to “safe graphic” to have it work there. (Not the Virtualbox boot entry).

OMG it’s not a dog head! 😁 It is a cat head. (Well, not that big on the screen either). A right click on the menu should let you choose to have the cat head only. There is a “cat head” icon besides the “application-menu” icon in the system.

Low specs : on machines with 2 GB RAM max, it’s also better to have a small squashfs file for the live to boot and for install. 😀

@melodie- I tried the 64 bits version on virtualbox- it uses, out of the box some 260 Mb (way more than my 64 bits antiX full, but drops more than 50 meg after a while).

Pros:
    Very nice looking and minimalist.
    I liked the language selection popping out during start up…
    Includes synaptic, allowing user to easily add any needed applications.
    The transparancies look great, sakura could have some transparancy on by default!
    Fits into a single cd!

Cons:
    The right click menu is partly untranslated to portuguese.
    The “applications” near the CAT (:-)) menu icon looks cool, but isn’t translated- and the start menu icon looks cool all by it self…
    The browser is fast and minimalist, but also quite limited (I know it’s always a trade off- but Firefox ESR or even Ungoogled Chromium are very capable browsers that don’t particulary each much RAM, compared to Chrome, and allow users to correcly view any web page – UnChromium does not display DRM content tough)
    Why does the “install” icon have the Ubuntu logo?

Design choices:
    I would have kept SpaceFM as default file manager, I quite like it and it’s been part of antiX for as long I’ve used it, but I would configure it by default to have a trash can (like your file manager has) and also bookmarks. I’m not sure if spacefm uses more or less resources than pcmanfm…
    The icons are cute, but look a bit dated, was it a design choice, to make it look a more “classic” system?
    eFTE text editor? Never heard of that! That is minimalism!

P.

EDIT: I just noticed I did not download the “antiX” version. Damn! Also, cool, this explains the Ubuntu install logo! 🙂
    Also, this was a really great experience- that’s why I didn’t correct this review- it’a the lightest *buntu I ever so, as the pro of allow to install snapd and then snaps! Very cool!
    I don’t have time to download and test the antiX version today… Maybe tomorrow?

Edit2:
    the antiX version really really runs on abou 90 Meg of RAM, even the 64 bits version. Wow.
    Pros:
    extremely low resources usage.
    Many more applications available out of the box than the “ubuntu” based version.
    Cons:
    basicaly the same cons as before (minus the “ubuntu icon”).
    does not have the boot animation, displays the full text into (that may seem weird to some users)
    Package installer would be a great of easily build up the system to have almost anything most regular users could need…
    You included some usefull scripts, but did not make them available in the menu, and also included scripts like Icewm Toolbar Icon Manager and fast menu editor that do nothing in your Desktop…

Design choices:
    Sames as above, plus: Why the chat icon on the toolbar by default instead of the browser?

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by PPC.
    melodiemelodie

Hi PPC,

first thanks very much for your feedback!

About the Applications menu button:

– the image is located in /usr/share/bento/lxpanel.

– The font used for this edition has for name “It wasn’t me”.

When you do a right-click on the applications button you can access to a menu “parameters of the menu”. And from there you can browse the files and choose another one: there is an image with just the cat head for example.

Also, you can create your own icon menu, using Gimp. Make a copy of the actuel menu image in a folder in your home, open it with Gimp, then use the “file create a new image” (choose transparent as an option) then you get a new image having the same size as the initial file, and you can work on a new version.

If you create a menu for portuguese and provide it to me, I can add it to the files in the system when rebuilding the next update (which is about to happen), or in the following one.

Applications near the Cat menu : you have to first install your language from the repos, (ie: using Synaptic package manager?) then if needed, do a right-click on one of the fast lauchers, open the first entry on the top of this right-click menu, and then remove and add whatever applications you want to the quick launchers near the applications menu.

Outdated icons : yes they are. I keep them for two reasons, there is a large choice of colors in this theme, it works a treat, and it is very complete, I don’t see icons missing in the menus. You have not tried that perhaps, but seeking for a new icon theme, installing theme, testing, takes looots of time.

On the other hand, if you want other sets, some are available in the repos, some are available at https://www.gnome-look.org, https://www.xfce-look.org, https://www.box-look.org, https://store.kde.org. Browser, download, install, test…

SpaceFM : just get it from the repos (ie : using Synaptic package manager).

The Bento Openbox editions are meant for end users, SpaceFM is a geek application, the simple users I know would not know how to use it. I don’t use it either, except when I boot a Parted Magic distribution ( https://partedmagic.com/) to detect things failing in a computer.

antiX:

“does not have the boot animation, displays the full text into (that may seem weird to some users)”

Package installer would be a great of easily build up the system to have almost anything most regular users could need…

boot animation uses computer resources, the intention with Bento antiX is to keep it as small and light on resource as possible. Some users will find it weird the first time, and the second time they will have gotten used to it (provided they get a good user experience during the session).

Package installer : I didn’t understand what you are talking about. Isn’t Synaptic not a tool good enough to install packages?

“You included some usefull scripts, but did not make them available in the menu, and also included scripts like Icewm Toolbar Icon Manager and fast menu editor that do nothing in your Desktop… ”

The scripts are small and don’t do harm to the size of the ISO, but so many launchers in the applications menu can confuse the simple end users. The more advanced antiX users who are used to them can easily restore them. I think all you have to do is dive into ~/.local/share/applications (hence, in your home) and remove the entry files (they contain an instruction to be kept hidden).

Icewm Toolbar Icon Manager : menu files for icewm, jwm and one more which originate from the official antiX edition will be removed in the next edition.

fast menu editor : which one are you talking about? Is it one for the lxpanel menu editor? Where is that? Or is it “obmenu” in the openbox right click menu on the desktop?

Next editions coming soon! Also I intend to remix a 64bits edition. Haven’t I seen one related to UEFI somewhere? Do you know if there is one?

Best regards,
    Mélodie

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.