Best Buy is selling the Acer Chromebook 512 for $129.

Forum Forums General Hardware Best Buy is selling the Acer Chromebook 512 for $129.

• This topic has 7 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated Aug 7-2:59 am by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Brian Masinick

This is not an antiX topic; it is a great sale on an inexpensive laptop that is a Chromebook; it does have a Linux kernel, but doesn´t run typical GNU/Linux software, it runs Google Chrome OS, but in case someone wants a new computer on the low end of the scale, maybe for Web browsing only or for grade school children, this may be an appealing option.

One major disadvantage, of course, is that it doesn´t run antiX, unless you take a risk and try to boot antiX from USB; then if it works, you could have a new computer that might run Chrome OS and possibly our favorite distribution!

Best Buy is selling the Acer Chromebook 512 for $129.

Brian Masinick

ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up

In Germany the cheapest I see at present is chromebook convertible for 211 Euro, next up is 244 Euro.
    For electronics US is often Waaay cheaper than this part of the world.

For 244 Euro I would buy a nice second hand thinkpad.

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

In Germany the cheapest I see at present is Chromebook convertible for 211 Euro, next up is 244 Euro.
    For electronics US is often Waaay cheaper than this part of the world.

For 244 Euro I would buy a nice second hand Thinkpad.

I have no problem with that. While not every Thinkpad these days is equal to the high quality of the original Thinkpad, they are still, for the most part, very good devices. The same could be said about any Chromebook; there is a wide disparity between the best one and the cheapest one. There also is some inconsistency between price and quality in Chromebook models. I’ve had decent success with Lenovo, Acer and Asus models; I don’t have personal experience with any others.

Brian Masinick

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    Helpful
    Up

I tend to prefer my chromebooks when on my motorcycle. Lighter than my IBM or Dell Laptops. Which are more home units now. Not a bad price brian.
    I am posting right now on my touchscreen, flipscreen, HP Chromebook the wife gifted me at 159 bucks on some sale day.
    I have not antiX’d it yet. MY chromebook Acer 701 is my go to AntiX full install chromebook.
    So durn busy here. I still have a older intel based chromebox < 39 Bucks > I have yet to hot wire sea bios onto.

That is the hardest part for me. Getting that Bios to be accepted. Sometimes the jumper don’t take.
    I have one junked out chromebook with broken jumper pins for the bios changeover.
    So it is just parts now.

Hmmmmm. Seems like UBlock Origin don’t like your link brian.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by rokytnji.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    I'm not outa place. I'm from outer space.

Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

The “deal” on that Chromebook was a “one day sale” @ Best Buy. When I click the link again, I’m still able to go to the TechConnect article; I did not go further (today) to attempt to “connect” to the sale because it was a “one day sale”.

@ Best Buy, clicking on the link Best Buy-Acer-Chromebook-512-12-IPS-Display-Intel-Celeron-n4020-4GB-memory-32GB-EMMC the unit is $219, still a decent buy, considering the $279 list price. It’s no screamer, but it’s definitely a functional, reasonably priced entry level Chromebook.

Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

By the way, Best Buy appears to be a reasonable place from which to buy various Chromebook models. Right now it at least APPEARS that they have a wide range of models from various manufacturers in various price ranges, including the Google Pixelbook Go. Whether they ACTUALLY have models in stock, and the length of time it’ll take to order and actually receive them is unclear, but it does at least appear that the critical shortages that had been taking place “might” be easing up a bit.

Brian Masinick

andyprough
    Helpful
    Up

it does at least appear that the critical shortages that had been taking place “might” be easing up a bit.

I wouldn’t count on that continuing to ease up, as I’m hearing that big sections of China are going back on lockdown as we speak.

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

As long as China doesn’t prevent units from going to stores like Best Buy that alone won’t wipe out available units.

If we have more semiconductor shortages and high Chromebook sales again, then yes, we won’t have these deals for very long!

Brian Masinick

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.