Best resolution and performance AGP or PCI video card for antiX 19?

Forum Forums General Hardware Best resolution and performance AGP or PCI video card for antiX 19?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by BobC Jul 13-11:00 pm.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    BobC

Any ideas? Hopefully something I might already have laying around or something I can find used for peanuts on ebay…

If I could find something capable of 1680×1050 or at least 1440×900 that would be good enough. My old nVidia’s don’t want to work at higher resolutions on Debian Buster or antiX19, but if I could get another older card working instead, that would be fine.

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    rokytnji

Desktop I take it? Mini tower or tall tower?

My Big screen TV monitor works OK with old fanless video pci cards. Not sure of resolution because I don’t boot that desktop up much. Desktop is old Dell server from city hall.

So post inxi -Fxz so we can better recommend what might fit your gear,

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

BobC

Its an nVidia NV34 GeForce FX 5500 with 128 mb. Vendor code is: 0326. I have about 4 or 5 of those cards, PCI and AGP. Inxi -Fxz says Driver: N/A If I boot in safe mode I get 640×480 X-Windows. They used to work fine with nv driver and is listed by Debian as compatible.

I can’t get the listing from the machine because the USB flashdrive didn’t come up and neither did WiFi.

BobC

I took pics of the screens on 19b1 and from 17.4.1 where it works right

212157 is from 17.4.1

213614 is the xorg log errors at the end. up above it tried to load module nv but couldn’t find it…

213739 is the inxi in console mode on 19b1 because in safe mode its only 640×480

linuxdaddy
    linuxdaddy

Hi BobC,

I’m using a radeon 9250 pci on 19b1-32-bit and it drives at
    1440X900 on the live dvd and is pretty cheap on E-Bay.
    (screenshot 1)
    I have to say though most on there were fanless so not sure what your
    airflow is in that old p3 case.
    I also checked the radeon 9250 pci on an old P3-440bx mobo and it
    worked with the ati driver (screenshot 3)
    Also my nvidia geforce fx5200 agp loads the nouveau driver and
    does 1440X900 resolution as well. (screenshot 2)

• This reply was modified 4 days, 17 hours ago by linuxdaddy. Reason: tested another card
    • This reply was modified 4 days, 14 hours ago by linuxdaddy. Reason: checked an older mobo

Normal == 🙂
    depends on the surrounding crowd ?!

BobC

I tried 6 cards, 5 worked but all came up 640 x 480 or console mode only. Debian Buster has the same problem.

Maybe I’ll try to find an old Radeon Universal AGP card.

• This reply was modified 3 days, 16 hours ago by BobC.
    Xecure
    Xecure

Its an nVidia NV34 GeForce FX 5500 with 128 mb.

Also my nvidia geforce fx5200 agp loads the nouveau driver and
    does 1440X900 resolution as well. (screenshot 2)

BobC, I cannot be of much help here, but reading this I realized that:
    – linuxdaddy got working the FX 5200 (AGP) at 900p with the nouveau driver.
    – You are trying to get the FX 5500 to work on 900p, but the nouveau driver doesn’t load properly.
    – Both use the NV34 GPU, so they should experience the same problems.

Maybe because of the attempt of reducing the ISO size of the antiX 19b1 something which the nouveau driver needs is missing. Or maybe it is related to some boot option that dissables it. Maybe trying to figure out what makes it possible for linuxdaddy’s card to work will help find a solution to your problem.

BobC

I mounted a DVD drive onto it so I am using the standatd iso file burned to a DVD. I found another box of video cards last night and will try the PCI ones.

I’m wondering at this point if I have Bios setting issue or need a cheat code for it.

It makes no sense that antiX 17.4.1 and KNOPPIX 8.1 work fine but antiX19b1 and Debian Buster both fail. I guess the other possibility is that it’s a XOrg 1.20 issue. I guess the only way to find that out is to load another non Debian based 32 bit distro that has XOrg 1.20.

Another possibility is the 5.15 kernel. I would need to switch it and remaster before burning the DVD to try a different kernel.

• This reply was modified 3 days, 11 hours ago by BobC.
    BobC

The machine in the basement turned out to be a P4. With antiX19b2 one of the cards worked in safe mode at 1024 x 768, which is reasonable enough.

I ordered an ATI Radeon 9250 for under $10 shipped that should work in either of my old Pentium III towers. As silly as it might sound, I like to have a “minimal” machine or two around to test with.

linuxdaddy
    linuxdaddy

BobC wrote:

I ordered an ATI Radeon 9250

I hope it was the pci not the agp as my nvidia geforce fx5200 agp would
    not boot on the P3 motherboard because most agp cards are not backwards
    compatible with 8x-4x-2x motherboard agp buses.
    Not sure what your bios settings look like, but I used the live dvd and
    no boot cheat codes (check for any dmesg errors). I had the bios settings
    for the same aperature ram size as the video card ram. If your bios can
    disable any video rom shadowing.

• This reply was modified 2 days, 19 hours ago by linuxdaddy. Reason: typoes

Normal == 🙂
    depends on the surrounding crowd ?!

BobC

Its a universal AGP board that does both 1.5v and 3.3v, and senses/adjusts to whichever is available. It should work as I have other universal AGP boards with the same pin outs and power specs that work fine. It’s just that I don’t have any ATI ones. The Dual P III machine is now working at 1024×768 in safe mode now with antiX19b2, but I would like to do better than that if I can.

The only boot error is an ACPI error. I might try turning it off. I don’t think its causing the video problems.

I guess I’m spoiled from all my fast machines anymore. The old P III does fine doing terminal and command line stuff, and even things like Gparted are fine, but Firefox eats the CPU and is darned pokey, lol. Its not an antiX problem. Its just gotten big and slow year by year.

Thanks for your suggestions and support 🙂 There’s nothing like running 20 year old hardware to ferret out any slow code.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.