Bios /Treiber/Automatisierung/ Hilfs programme.

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Bios /Treiber/Automatisierung/ Hilfs programme.

• This topic has 6 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated May 13-8:56 am by sybok.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    LauJ

Hallo zusammen.
      Ich bin Jean und bin neueinsteiger bei Linux und habe mich vorerst für Antix Linux 23.1 entschieden.Ich besitze einen alten Acer Aspire one zg6,Intel atom N270 512MB Ram 2GB, 32bit Netbook der noch einwandfrei funktioniert.
      Das Betriebssystem Antix startet lange,bis er sich vom der Bios seiten ins Antix start seite und dan erst startet.(omg kein guter satz) 🙁
      Beim starten des bios sieht man was mit PCI kann nicht gefunden werden oder gestartet.Auch Antix öffnet nach bios so was ähnliches Chipset kann nicht geladen werden.
      Im betriebssystem drinen hab ich das systemaktuallisierung gestartet und konnte einiges (nicht alles) instalieren/aktualisieren.
      Ich vermute das der Chipsatzzreiber/ PCI nicht die richtigen sind??
      Anzeige bilder umd algemein läuft alles ziehmlich lam. Bei öffnen von programme hängt es 5 sekunden youtube video hängt auch.

Welche treiber muss ich neuistalieren?

Wie läuft das bei antix Automatische instalationen?

Gibts da programe dafür? Welche?

Muss man die alten/falschen treiber zuerst deinstalieren dan die neuen wie bei window?
      Welche programme kann ich nutzen um diesen problemen zu lösen???

Ich würde mich sehr freuen wen jemand mir helfen könnte,da mir das eintauchen ins Linux welt sehr gefält.

Ich bedanke mich mal im voraus und wünsche allen ein schönes wochenende.

Lg Jean

email: laujean69@gmail.com

sybok

Hi, I’ve used deepl.com to translate your message and I respond in English.

0) When you donwload a file from internet, it may get corrupted.
        Please verify that your ISO’s (antix*.iso file) intengrity using check-sums.

1) Please post more info when booted in your installation of antiX, e.g. (see also)
        inxi -Fxz

2) May be, using an older linux-kernel (that’s where the drivers typically are) could help.
        I’d try 4.19 or 5.10 series.
        As the kernel evolves and adapts to include newer HW, some older things are orphaned and eventually removed from the kernel.

3) Exploring CPU specifications for Intel Atom N270:
        https://www.techpowerup.com/cpu-specs/atom-n270.c1410
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Atom
        https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/36331/intel-atom-processor-n270-512k-cache-1-60-ghz-533-mhz-fsb/specifications.html

Your CPU is 32-bit and a bit sluggish by modern standards, you RAM is rather low.
        Hence streaming videos (usually the most CPU+RAM heavy thing I do on my home-PC), such as youtube, will not provide optimal experience.
        You could also try different browsers (I expect the 32-bit selection to be rather limited); those with less features may use less resources.
        These topics were discussed elsewhere in the forum, please do search the forum.

4) Installing SW, ad 2) and 3):
        antiX control centre -> Software -> Package Installer
        There are sections Kernels and Browsers.

5) Tips that may help to boost performance – you can also do the following:
        check integrity of your drive, clean the notebook from dust, upgrade/increase CPU and/or RAM (if possible), re-paste the CPU, switch drive to SSD if not already included and if it is supported.

6) Personally, I prefer not to post a private e-mail on a forum unless necessary; I suggest you to set-up to be informed when a new post appears in a thread you’re involved in (it used to be possible).

Xunzi_23

Hallo Jean, 512mb Ram is very limiting. A ram upgrade is possible but requires a lot of disassembly and maybe a BIOS Update..
          depending on the model you have fitting a larger SSD may be feasible. If that is possible ram upgrade and ssd together will
          offer much better performance.
          Youtube and ifixit are your friends regarding upgrading.

Regarding email address, expect a lot of extra spam and scammer mails. Maybe a good time to move to a privacy respecting provider.

The Acer Aspire One ZG5 (AOA110/AOA150) has a maximum RAM of 1.5 GB. There is 512MB RAM soldered on the mother board.
          There is one SODIMM slot for DDR2 RAM. The ZG5 RAM spec is:

DDR2 PC2-5300 667MHz SODIMM (200 pin).

If you install a 512MB SODIMM in the slot the total RAM will be 1GB.

If you install a 1GB SODIMM in the slot the total RAM will be 1.5GB

If you install a 2GB SODIMM, the ZG5 will not boot

If you install a 4GB SODIMM, the ZG5 will not boot.

The above I confirmed with a ZG5 with BIOS 0.3309. I have not tested the 2GB & 4GB SODIMMs in the ZG5 with the last BIOS 0.3310. The 1GB SODIMM works with BIOS 0.3310.

If your ZG5 BIOS is not at 0.3310 then you should update it to 0.3310.

The ZG5 uses a 2.5″ hard drive. The largest SSD it will accept is a 2TB this is confusing as some models have an HDD, which can be replaced with an SSD.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Xunzi_23.
          • This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Xunzi_23.
          Robin

And then, I think it wasn’t mentioned before:

When starting of the bios you can see something with PCI can’t be found or started. Also antiX opens after bios something like chip set not found or loaded.

Did you use an antiX full version? Only these do contain a maximum set of drivers. If you have used base versions, try a live boot with a full version. You can check out runit and sysvinit both. I have seen really good results with the 23.1 runit full antiX version on very old 32 bit hardware. Please be aware you need to do a full system upgrade to get the latest fixes.

As already mentioned by the others, 512MB RAM are *very* limiting for daily usage. Best to follow Xunzis good advice and try adding some more RAM. Btw, my 20 years old 32 bit notebook officially is specified for max 1.5 GB RAM also. But I found out, when using a specific set of two identically and selected RAM modules of 1GB both, it accepts 2GB and works now stable with this (supposedly impossible) RAM upgrade for at least 10 years already. It depended on the RAM module branch, I had to check out a couple of manufacturers before I found one that worked. If you happen to have a Repair-Café (Example: Repair Café Bochum) nearby your location, you’ll find people there who can assist you. I was lucky to meet a guy in a local PC store who owned a collection of literally hundreds of different RAM modules, so we simply plugged them one after the other… Do an extended and full RAM check (memtest) once you have upgraded to make sure the upgrade really works stable. There should not come up a single error with whatever pattern when running the test sequences for some hours.

Do you have to install the old/wrong drivers before installing new ones, like in Windows?

No. Normally an uninstall of unused drivers is not necessary in linux, it will select the proper ones and ignore the unneeded ones. But in some specific cases it might be needed to uninstall something, if their packages conflict. So simply install what is needed. To save space on your limited hardware resources you can uninstall later every driver which is not needed, so you get back some free disk space. This will also save time while upgrading the system to recent state. Each package not present doesn’t need to be updated… This goes also for pre-installed software you don’t need.

Hence streaming videos (usually the most CPU+RAM heavy thing I do on my home-PC), such as youtube, will not provide optimal experience.

Even streaming of youtube videos works perfectly fine on limited hardware when following the antiX way. All you have to do is NOT use a default web browser to watch them. antiX comes with a specific program; you could give ytfzf -f a try, you have to enter the command into a terminal window (e.g. roxterm) found in the antiX main menu. Just enter your search strings to get presented a list of youtube video results. Select the one you want to get played by using the up and down arrow keys, so it is highlighted, then press the enter key. The -f option you have started the ytfzf command with will now bring up an additional selection for a format. Select something your hardware can stem. On 32 bit try 480p or below (but if you have a dedicated GPU and no shared graphics RAM, along with working graphics drivers you can easily run 720p video formats this way flawlessly on old 32 bit hardware.)
            Basically you need to understand youtube always provides a bunch of formats for a single video. To get an idea what they deliver for a specific video try in a terminal window (close the default web browser beforehand, so it doesn’t consume up your resources):
            yt-dlp -F 'https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSwLeKWKtis'
            You’ll see formats with 1920×1080 pixels, 1280×720 pixels and so on, down to 256×144 pixels. Some of them are video only, some of them are audio only, and some are combined video+audio. In the column VCODEC you’ll see the codec used. AVOID all vp09 formats! These will result in decoding the video format on your CPU in software instead of running the dedicated GPU hardware decoders. This will never work. (Only very recent hardware can decode vp9 format properly, providing built-in circuitry for this codec). For your hardware all avc1 is fine.

Try e.g. the following, one by one:

mpv --ytdl-format='137+140' 'https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSwLeKWKtis'
            mpv --ytdl-format='136+140' 'https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSwLeKWKtis'
            mpv --ytdl-format='135+140' 'https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSwLeKWKtis'
            mpv --ytdl-format=18 'https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSwLeKWKtis'
            mpv --ytdl-format='160+139' 'https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSwLeKWKtis'

The first lines probably won’t make it stutter-free on your hardware, but you can never know before not having tried.
            You can experiment on your own to find out what format suits your hardware best, then you can set this as your personal default. You have to find the optimum between low resource usage and quality of resolution your hardware can stem. That’s the trick.

Using highly optimised programs like mpv, ytfzf etc. instead of running videos in a resource wasting general purpose web browser will make things work.

————————
            Another hint: You’ve posted your question in the international area of the forum, so the answers you get are in English language. Here also you are expected to write in English. If you want specifically to write (and get answers) in your native language, there are language specific sections of the forum you can use (e.g. there is a German sub section). But naturally you’ll probably get more answers when posting in English language here in the international area, since more people can read it. As mentioned by sybok, you can use deepl.com to translate your question to English language before posting it here, and it is a good idea to add the original Text below the English translation, so people can look up the original meaning in case the automatic online translation service has mangled the proper meaning.

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

marcelocripe

Hallo LauJ.

Willkommen bei antiX Linux und dem Forum.

Ich kann weder auf Englisch noch auf Deutsch schreiben und sende meine Texte mit dem Internetübersetzer übersetzt. Ich hoffe, Sie können alles verstehen. Bitte beachten Sie, dass Sie in einem englischsprachigen Raum gepostet haben. Der deutsche Bereich ist dieser https://www.antixforum.com/forums/forum/general/other-languages/german/.

Bitte lesen Sie mein herzliches Willkommen im Thread Welcome to antiX Linux and the forum (antiX 23) und Welcome to antiX Linux and the forum (antiX 19, 21 and 22).

Bitte erfahren Sie, wie Sie hier im AntiX-Forum um Hilfe bitten können, indem Sie die Threads lesen, die ich in meiner eigentlichen Begrüßung verlinkt habe. Bitte beachten Sie, dass es in diesem Forum drei Editionen von antiX, Serien 19, 21 oder 22 und 23, gibt, die technischen Support bieten. Jede Edition verfügt über 4 ISO-Images (vollständig, Basis, Netz und Kern) auf zwei verschiedenen Bootsystemtypen, SyVinit und Runit. Wenn meine Summe nicht falsch ist, gibt es derzeit etwa 32 verschiedene Arten von Betriebssystemen. Deshalb müssen Sie lernen, wie Sie hier im AntiX-Forum um Hilfe bitten können.

marcelocripe
              (Originaltext in brasilianischem Portugiesisch)

– – – – –

Olá, LauJ.

Seja bem-vindo(a) ao antiX Linux e ao fórum.

Eu não sei escrever em idioma Inglês ou em idioma Alemão e envio os meus textos traduzidos pelo tradutor da internet. Eu espero que você consiga compreender tudo. Observe que você postou em uma área em idioma Inglês. A área Alemão é esta https://www.antixforum.com/forums/forum/general/other-languages/german/.

Por favor, leia a minha verdadeira boas-vindas no tópico Seja bem-vindo (a) ao antiX Linux e ao fórum (antiX 23) e Seja bem-vindo (a) ao antiX Linux e ao fórum (antiX 19, 21 e 22).

Por favor, aprenda a pedir ajuda aqui no fórum do antiX lendo os tópicos que eu indiquei na minha verdadeira boas-vindas. Saiba que existem 3 edições do antiX, das séries 19, 21 ou 22 e 23 que possuem suporte técnico neste fórum. Cada edição possui 4 imagens ISOs (full, base, net e core) em dois tipos de sistema de inicialização diferentes, o SyVinit e o Runit. Se a minha soma não estiver errada, na presente data são cerca de 32 tipos diferentes de sistema operacionais. É por isso que você precisa aprender a pedir ajuda aqui no fórum do antiX. 

marcelocripe
              (Texto original em idioma Português do Brasil)

LauJ

Hello, I use deepl.com to write in English.

Sorry for the late reply.

System:
                Kernel: 5.10.197-antix.1-486-smp arch: i686 bits: 32 compiler: gcc v: 12.2.0
                Desktop: IceWM v: 3.4.5 Distro: antiX-23.1-runit_386-full Arditi del Popolo
                21 February 2024 base: Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)
                Machine:
                Type: Other-vm? System: Acer product: AOA110 v: 1 serial: <filter>
                Mobo: Acer model: N/A serial: N/A BIOS: Acer v: 0.3305 date: 05/09/2008
                Battery:
                ID-1: BAT1 charge: N/A condition: N/A volts: N/A model: BAT1 status: N/A
                CPU:
                Info: single core model: Intel Atom N270 bits: 32 type: MT arch: Bonnell
                rev: 2 cache: L1: 56 KiB L2: 512 KiB
                Speed (MHz): avg: 800 min/max: 800/1600 cores: 1: 800 2: 800
                bogomips: 6383
                Flags: ht pae sse sse2 sse3 ssse3
                Graphics:
                Device-1: Intel Mobile 945GSE Express Integrated Graphics
                vendor: Acer Incorporated ALI driver: i915 v: kernel arch: Gen-3.5
                bus-ID: 00:02.0
                Device-2: Suyin Acer CrystalEye Webcam driver: uvcvideo type: USB
                bus-ID: 1-5:3
                Display: server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.7 driver: X: loaded: intel
                unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa dri: i915 gpu: i915
                resolution: 1024×600~60Hz
                API: EGL v: 1.4,1.5 drivers: i915,swrast platforms:
                active: gbm,x11,surfaceless,device inactive: wayland
                API: OpenGL v: 2.1 vendor: mesa v: 22.3.6 glx-v: 1.4 direct-render: yes
                renderer: i915 (: 945GME)
                Audio:
                Device-1: Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio
                vendor: Acer Incorporated ALI driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel
                bus-ID: 00:1b.0
                API: ALSA v: k5.10.197-antix.1-486-smp status: kernel-api
                Server-1: PipeWire v: 1.0.3 status: off
                Network:
                Device-1: Realtek RTL810xE PCI Express Fast Ethernet
                vendor: Acer Incorporated ALI driver: r8169 v: kernel port: 3000
                bus-ID: 02:00.0
                IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
                Device-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR242x / AR542x Wireless Network Adapter
                vendor: Foxconn driver: ath5k v: kernel bus-ID: 03:00.0
                IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
                Drives:
                Local Storage: total: 7.52 GiB used: 5.66 GiB (75.4%)
                ID-1: /dev/sda model: P-SSD1800 size: 7.52 GiB
                Partition:
                ID-1: / size: 7.3 GiB used: 5.66 GiB (77.6%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
                Swap:
                ID-1: swap-1 type: file size: 985 MiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) file: /swap/swap
                Sensors:
                System Temperatures: cpu: 39.0 C mobo: N/A
                Fan Speeds (rpm): N/A
                Info:
                Processes: 102 Uptime: 5m Memory: total: 1024 MiB available: 986 MiB
                used: 263.7 MiB (26.7%) igpu: 7.9 MiB Init: runit runlevel: 2 Compilers:
                gcc: 12.2.0 Packages: 1716 Shell: Bash v: 5.2.15 inxi: 3.3.31

Does it matter which kernel I use 5.10 or 4.19 to increase my performance?
                I’ve read that Antix doesn’t always offer the right driver.
                If that is the case, how do I remove the drivers and where do I install the appropriate driver?

It is difficult to find certain programs because Antix is not completely translated into German or other languages.

I tried to install the Epiphany browser and the installation failed.
                I also tried to install the Brave browser via the console and it didn’t work either.

There are also a lot of programs that you don’t need.
                Do you have to uninstall them all individually or are the packages connected?
                Which packages do you recommend to me?

I tried ytfzf -f and I could live with that until I put in a 2GB ram.
                Thanks Robin…:-)

BIOS:

My BIOS is set to version 3305. I’m also a bit confused about which BIOS version my Acer aspire needs.
                I can’t find a page for a BIOS download from my manufacturer. Can you help me with that?

Thanks for your help, regards

sybok

Does it matter which kernel I use 5.10 or 4.19 to increase my performance?

Hard to tell without going into the content of the kernels; I guess you have to try and see for yourself.

…, how do I remove the drivers and where do I install the appropriate driver?

Most of the drivers already are in the kernel.
                  The others are provided as extra packages, they best be searched in packages which can be done using e.g. terminal
                  apt search qualcomm
                  or using GUI tools (I used to utilise synaptic in the past).
                  The above example is to search for Qualcomm drivers.

I tried to install the … browser and the installation failed.

More details are needed to provide an advice.
                  Could you describe or copy+paste the error?

It is difficult to find certain programs because Antix is not completely translated into German or other languages.

If that applies to antiX Control Centre, it can be invoked in terminal by running
                  antixcc.sh

There are also a lot of programs that you don’t need. Do you have to uninstall them all individually or are the packages connected?

I would be very careful with desktop environments or file-managers.
                  Perhaps, you could reinstall your antiX using a different version – base instead of full; base comes with much less packages.

BIOS:

If you decide to update it, be careful; I once bricked my PC when I naively attempted a BIOS upgrade from within Linux some ten years ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.