Black screen after boot menu

Forum Forums General Hardware Black screen after boot menu

• This topic has 7 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated Feb 24-11:53 pm by BobC.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    dshoover54

I trying to use LIVE or Install Antix/MX. I bought new laptop with these general specs:

ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 UEFI: LENOVO v: R1AET34W (1.10 ) date: 12/19/2020
    Quad Core model: AMD Ryzen 3 4300U with Radeon Graphics R2 AMD Renoir vendor: Lenovo driver

other stuff but after 2 weeks downloading dozens of Linux OS and trying half a dozen USB Writers and cmd line dd scripts, I am still only able to get passed the start menu with LintMint19.3, Pop_OS and KDE neon. I have the fast boot off, secure boot disabled. I’ve used diskpart to clean USB between burns. Done the new partitions and format routines. For almost all, I’ve tried GUI, text mode, Failsafe mode, and lower graphics when available.

With the exception of the above distros, I normally get the boot or install menu, then after my selection the screen goes BLACK and never returns. Forcing a hard shutdown and restart. I have to believe my graphics card is not compatible with the Live or Install scripts at boot. Any help is very much appreciated.
    thank you, dave

ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up
    :D

Hi dave,
    Please do a forum search for: Problems installing Antix 19.3 full on modern laptop
    That thread should hopefully point you in the right direction, maybe also good if you
    place further posts in that thread t to make searching the forum easier for others.

dshoover54
    Helpful
    Up

Nothing Found

Sorry, but nothing matched your search terms. Please try again with some different keywords.

really

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

I would guess you might need a newer version 5 kernel. Check the kernel versions of the ones that did work, and see if you can get an inxi -Fxz listing and post it here.

The thread moddit referred to was #2 in the search result, really!

https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/problems-installing-antix-19-3-full-on-modern-laptop/

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

In that thread, xecure built an iso of antiX 19.3 full vith the newest version 5 kernel and posted it to the web and it solved the problem. You might give that a try.

ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up

Thanks BobC,
    was “enjoying” some isolated time in the spring sunshine — in February but feeling like May.
    Listening to sounds of Ambulances which drowns birdsong. Shit virus.

# Nothing Found, please use search box on bottom left not the one labeleled forum search.
    My guess is that was the catch.

dshoover54
    Helpful
    Up

Special shout out to BobC and Xecure, and his reference to Xecure pseudo-antix19.3.iso work and link. I used rufus to burn iso. Reboot into ISO menu. GUI and text mode options left me staring at the same Black screen, again. Next I tried advance and option for lower resolution (1024 / 780). ALL GOOD.

Started LIVE session and I had no trouble with install to SSD partition.

I’ve really enjoyed Antix over the years, so this is a big win for me.

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

Open a terminal and run
    inxi -Fxz

Copy and paste the text here inside CODE blocks.

Also, find a links to the specs on the graphics (including valid resolutions, etc) and paste that in as well.

Maybe someone will be able to help you get the resolution fixed…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.