black screen when loading

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions black screen when loading

• This topic has 29 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated Jun 13-12:58 pm by Xecure.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    anon
    Helpful
    Up
    :D

after installing the system and booting the computer, a black screen appeared, while the console is available

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

I searched a bit after yesterday’s post, and found that the opensource amdgpu seems to have better support for your GPU.
    You could try the instructions in this article: http://realtechtalk.com/Enable_AMDGPU_Linux_Driver_in_Debian_Ubuntu_mint-2265-articles

Or video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr_UFL5ZeKQ

You could also try it in live USB first, adding these boot parameters in the boot screen:
    xorg=amdgpu amdgpu.cik_support=1 amdgpu.si_support=1 radeon.si_support=0 radeon.cik_support=0
    to see if it now boots to the graphical interface without the extra terminal work.

anon
    Helpful
    Up

1) In the instructions.
    Item 2 could not be completed.
    screen: ibb.co/m8xBsb6

2) in the live usb menu, I selected item 1, then added the parameters: xorg=amdgpu amdgpu.cik_support=1 amdgpu.si_support=1 radeon.si_support=0 radeon.cik_support=0.

Then the download started and the screen says “antiX 14.4 (Grub Yorum)”

I went to the console and entered: sudo startx

result on the screen: ibb.co/Rg2gzWy

Robin
    Helpful
    Up

This is obviously a printing error on that webpage. The line should read correctly:

sudo mv /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-radeon.conf ~/

It is meant to move original files to your home folder for backup.

The error while starting probably is caused by you not having executed step 2 completely, since they write clearly:

2. Remove any old radeon.conf files otherwise Xorg will not start

Simply try again.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

I wish I had a similar computer to be able to troubleshoot it better.

If the article doesn’t help, then the lasta tempt I can recommend is trying from a live USB to assign the xorg to radeon using the boot parameter
    xorg=radeon
    And, if it boots properly, to copy /etc/X11/xorg.conf to the installed system, to see if it can use this configuration that you know boots properly.

anon
    Helpful
    Up

1) error: ibb.co/hDB9Yqd

2) with the “quiet splasht disable=lxF xorg=radeon” parameter, the download only goes to line “start x”, then it stops.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

I think we need to take a step back and start again.

1. On the running system, where you log in as root, when you installed antiX using the antiX installer, you created a new user account. Can you log in to it from the terminal (instead of to the root account)?

2. If instead of starting the graphical interface from the terminal, you do
    sudo service slim restart
    Does the slim log-in screen come up?

3. Could you check if there is any /etc/X11/xorg.conf file on your system? And anything in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d related to radeon?
    Make a backup of these files somewhere and see if removing them will then permit autostart of the graphical interface. If not, you can move them back to their original place.

anon
    Helpful
    Up

1. I was able to log in to the account.

2. it didn’t work
    screen: ibb.co/wQHVXSh

3. missing /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    screen: ibb.co/jw8sVnK

found: ibb.co/HzNprLT
    I moved this file to /home/, then rebooted the computer and was able to log in with my username. The desktop was working fine. I restarted the computer again to make sure that the system was working properly, but only a black screen appeared.

seaken64
    Helpful
    Up

I do not know what the “ibb.co/HzNprLT” refers to. Apparently I am the only one since it seems to not be a stumbling block to other viewers. Is that supposed to be a URL? Then why doesn’t it show as a link in my browser?

Seaken64

Robin
    Helpful
    Up

@seaken64
    Obviously anon has simply missed to mark the URL and click the LINK button above the text entry field 🙂 Just copy the url to the address field of your browser, “ibb.co” is an image hoster simply. You will see anons screenshots. It had me stopped also first time I saw this, since I took it for some kind of odd system response. But then remembered to have seen ibb somewhere before, and the penny has dropped.

skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

whoops
    a moderator can please delete this post

• This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by skidoo.
    seaken64
    Helpful
    Up

@Robin, ahh – I understand now. So, will the forum software link to it if the poster enters the full URL? So, if they type http://ibb.co/HzNprLT let’s see what happens.

Yes, that works.

Seaken64

• This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by seaken64.
    Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

found: ibb.co/HzNprLT
    I moved this file to /home/, then rebooted the computer and was able to log in with my username. The desktop was working fine. I restarted the computer again to make sure that the system was working properly, but only a black screen appeared.

So, when this file was removed, did the Log-in manager pop up or did it auto-login to your user account?

I never tested it out myself, but antiX comes with a tool to create a minimal xorg.conf file (make-xorg-conf which is aimed for live-usb but may be usefull in this case). You could create this file to use the radeon driver with
    sudo make-xorg-conf radeon -o /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    and see if it gets slim to launch properly, making the system find the correct xorg configuration.

anon
    Helpful
    Up

sudo make-xorg-conf radeon -o /etc/X11/xorg.conf

It didn’t help.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

I really don’t know how to proceed forward.
    I went to check if others have had problems with Radeon graphics. I found someone using a Radeon HD 6790, which is an older Radeon card compared to yours, and they got antiX working with the 4.9 kernel, probably out of the box:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3X8jBIVFmo

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.