Blank screen at boot

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-17 “Heather Heyer” Blank screen at boot

This topic contains 43 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by zeh May 13-7:05 am.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    zeh

I’ve got a blank screen at boot. From an other thread in this forum I’ve learned to get out of it with Ctrl+Alt+1 and I could see this on the screen after trying to update as per said thread:

[OK] Starting session management daemon: elogind [22.991661] elogind[2019]: New seat seat0.
    [OK] Starting mouse interface server: gpm.
    [OK] Starting SMO IRQ Balancer: irqbalance.
    [OK] Loading cpufreq kernel modules... done (acpi-cpureq).
    [OK] CPUFreq Utilities: Setting ondemand CPUFreq governor... CPU0... CPU1... done.
    [OK] Starting SANE Network scanner server: saned.
    Starting X display manager: slim.
    [OK] Starting OpenBSD Secure Shell server: sshd.
    Applying Power save settings... done.
    Setting battery charge thresholds... done.
    [warn] VirtualBox Additions disabled, not in Virtual Machine... (warning).
    [OK] Starting Network connection manager: wicd.

Debian GNU/Linux buster/sid Sat2aX2 tty1

Sat2aX2 login: axTest
    Password:
    Last login: Sun Apr 7 21:28:22 BST 2019 on tty1
    No mail.
    [84.482465] elogind-daemon[2019]: New session 2 of user axTest.
    axTest@Sat2aX2:~
    $ sudo apt-get update
    sudo: /usr/bin/sudo must be owned by uid0 and have the set uid bit set
    $ su
    Password:
    su: Authentication failure
    $

I’m using this installation only out of curiosity / learning purposes, so I can just reinstall, no big deal for me. Nevertheless, if anyone can easily identify the problem and let me know what to do it’d serve my learning purposes.

antiX 17.1 Testing
    Toshiba Satellite L40 Intel core2

• This topic was modified 3 months ago by zeh.
    zeh

I was hoping that somebody could identify these issues without much difficulty.

I’ve got a blank screen, despite:

Starting X display manager: slim.

$ sudo apt-get update

Despite my having made sure that I entered the correct password, I’ve got:

$ su
    Password:
    su: Authentication failure

I wonder if there is/are some file/s (there must be, I guess) that I could correct maybe by accessing the fs via a live system, for instance. I can see now, however, that these must not be so trivial issues.

antiX 17.4 Testing (upgraded from 17.1)
    Toshiba Satellite L40 Intel core2

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by zeh.
    skidoo

Yes, reinstall. Can’t guess how the system wound up in that state, or what else (whatall else) has become corrupted at this point.

male
    male

zeh, I wonder why you don’t read the announcements before you do that? (where: upgrading testing 17.1 to 17.4 shouldn’t be trivial)
    If it was, it would have to be 17.4.1 by now…

zeh

Yes, reinstall. Can’t guess how the system wound up in that state, or what else (whatall else) has become corrupted at this point.

OOps! It seems the issue is much worse than I imagined..
    Thank you skidoo, for making me realize it.

zeh

zeh, I wonder why you don’t read the announcements before you do that? (where: upgrading testing 17.1 to 17.4 shouldn’t be trivial)
    If it was, it would have to be 17.4.1 by now…

I’m missing something here.
    1. The announcement I’ve found doesn’t mention any issue with the upgrading. And I’ve just made a regular upgrading (where I might have missed something, I can concede that).
    2. I meant I wondered whether those issues were trivial (meaning being known and easy to solve) for some forum members that master the system. If so, someone would tell me what to do, I’ve no doubt. It turns out they aren’t trivial, skidoo tells me. Should I see anything inappropriate in what I’ve done?

skidoo

Last post ends in a question mark, but you haven’t provided sufficient details for anyone to reasonably guess “what I’ve done”.

Next time ’round, as your experiment progresses, make notes of your actions ~~ the steps, the changes.

zeh

skidoo, I understand what you say and I agree with it, of course. But this time the issue was with the use of the language, I’m sorry.

My question was meant to refer to what I’ve done here in the forum, what I’ve asked for and what I’ve said, not to what I had done with the system.

Regarding the issue, itself, I didn’t do any experiment. I just upgraded as I always do. I’ve learned to check whether the upgrading removes any packages. If it does, I abort and wait some time until there are no packages to be removed (I’m not referring to the ones that are not needed anymore and should be removed via apt autoremove). I can’t swear this time I’ve paid attention to the packages to be removed, but I think I did. What I know is that I’ve got a blank screen.

So, I’ve searched on the forums, as said, and then I’ve asked here. As your answer was absolutely satisfactory, I didn’t ask for anything else. I thank you again.

linuxdaddy
    linuxdaddy

hi zeh,

did the upgrade have any diff files that asked if config files
    should be replaced? but like skidoo said
    I don’t know why sudo says it’s not owned by root user either.
    or what else is a miss to track down. so a reinstall might be
    needed.

hope this helps

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by linuxdaddy. Reason: misread

Normal == 🙂
    depends on the surrounding crowd ?!

linuxdaddy
    linuxdaddy

One thing to check if you boot from a live disk is the permissions on the
    /usr/bin/sudo command itself.
    in rox hit the “show extra details icon” and for sudo it should say
    rwx,r-x,r-x/U--
    and both owner and group should say root.

another thing to check is if the /etc/group file lists your username
    on the end of the sudo line.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by linuxdaddy. Reason: added more to it

Normal == 🙂

linuxdaddy
    linuxdaddy

I have also noticed from other posts recently that elogind has had a problem with policykit which
    slim needs and I don’t know if update/upgrade has this resolved…I’m on a clean install
    of 17.4.1 with no issues but I won’t be updating my 17.3 one to 17.4 till tommorrow or
    next day to post on if it does without a blank screen while slim loads.

Normal == 🙂

zeh

Hi linuxdaddy,

did the upgrade have any diff files that asked if config files should be replaced?

I believe so, yes, and I think I chose to use the new files.

The file “/etc/group” did/does include my username on the end of the sudo line.

Checking the permissions of the command “/usr/bin/sudo” I could see on the upper part of the window “File Properties”, Permissions Tab: “Owner: root”, “Group: root”, and there was/is no “user”. On the lower part of the same window is the sort of matrix with the permissions. It showed rwx,r-x,r-x/—, which I’ve changed to rwx,r-x,r-x/U– following your instructions.

Tried to boot again on the system and got the same blank screen. Ctrl+Alt+F1 and I get back to command line as before.

This time “sudo apt-get update” worked – no “sudo: /usr/bin/sudo must be owned by uid0 and have the set uid bit set” anymore.
    Then “sudo apt-get dist-upgrade”. No packages to be removed in the process, so Y. The upgrade went smoothly as usual. There were the questions if the config files (icewm, jwm, and fluxbox) should be replaced; I’ve replied N to all.

Tried to change to su, but still got the “Authentication failure” output.

Entered “shutdown -r now” and the machine reboots. Still got the blank screen…

linuxdaddy
    linuxdaddy

ok the permissions look ok and if that’s all the files that changed it wouldn’t have messed with
    the su or sudo command use. BTW the “su” command needs a user name on the same line like su root
    not just su by itself.
    As far as “user” above it was in the text file “/etc/group” not the file manager like in the picture.
    this is a shot of my “/etc/group” file. which you said user is there.
    the username should be in both places.
    This might prove hard to pinpoint what’s a miss.
    I’m not sure why X and slim are giving the blank screen though.
    But troubleshooting and tracking down problems is the fun of learning how to
    solve them.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by linuxdaddy. Reason: forgot pic
    Attachments:

Normal == 🙂

linuxdaddy
    linuxdaddy

As far as “X and slim” / blank screen go keep an eye on the new thread

after update: failed to start x-server

on the forum for more ideas on solving.

Normal == 🙂

zeh

Thanks, linuxdaddy.

Both sudo root and sudo my username produced the same output as just su: ‘Authentication failure’.

My “/etc/group” file looks like yours: sudo followed by my username and the last line being my username followed by that 1000.

I’ve looked into the “after update: failed to start x-server” thread but sofar haven’t found anything applicable to my case.

I’ve also checked whether elogind and consolekit were installed (by trying to re/install both of them); they were.

I’ve also got this in the boot process:
    /usr/bin/mandb: can’t chmod /var/cache/man/**/CACHEDIR-TAG: Operation not permited
    /usr/bin/mandb: can’t remove /var/cache/man/**/CACHEDIR-TAG: Permission denied
    /usr/bin/mandb: fopen /var/cache/man/old local/3707: Permission denied
    It occurred several times for several languages (** stands for the languages codes)

From the beginning I was thinking just like you: “troubleshooting and tracking down problems is the fun of learning how to
    solve them.” That’s the reason I’ve posted the issues. Some people know the system very well, others fairly well, so someone might recognize what had happened and what the solutions were. It not being the case, that is, if no one would recognize the problem I’d just reinstall.

So, if no one comes up with any further ideas about what/were the problems may be, I’ll just reinstall as advised.

Thanks again

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.