Bloat

• This topic has 38 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated Feb 3-6:55 am by PDP-8.
Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    blur13

What is bloat is obviously subjective, as this thread testifies. In my opinion the question of “bloat” in antiX specifically depends on the target audience. For example, if the target audience is graphic designers then having GIMP and twenty alternatives is not bloat. If the target audience is the general public then the question of bloat becomes almost irrelevant. When I first installed antiX I was overwhelmed by all the items in the menu. Now I’m thankful for the careful selection of low resource programs, many of which I had never heard of before. I’m now a fan of mtpaint. Who would have thought?

ModdIt

Thanks guys especially PPC, blur, your posts are not blur but sensible and gets the point.

The expert who posted in a long dead thread can start with a minimum, he only need to download it and build on what he personally needs. That is why the different versions and apt capability to remove packages exist….

The noted expert can remove all the things he likes or never include them in the first place, set sound with a thingy, on the thingy for the thingy which makes the thingys not hurting thingys on side of head. er console on the command line or in a configuration file from said console because a text editor is bloat.

I did read that post from the thingyverse before his expertise on the state of antiX

Others find the included applications very useful, but as others noted add full gimp, darktable latest firefox along with Librewolf, Ungoogled Chromium, have two printers one A3 Multi, hooked up, Zoom, Video camera PDF Editor and need those things. In case of those I support, persons are called university students and students in higher level secondary education. Some also have Lyx and LaTex in daily use, tell a maths student that is bloat.

Nuff said, the expert is now on my personal bloat list.

ModdIt

As this thread was opened by anticapitalista to gain

useful insights i.e. not entirely personal views

in to user needs I have not closed it. Please posters stay on topic.

Valid as bloat, there surely will be other constellations because I am not an authority in that field :-)..

Package unmaintained and defective.
          packet is defective and maintainer post will not be fixed
          A smaller more efficient and flexible package xyz exists i suggest it could replace application z or even application z+c+b.
          The package causes unstable operation, no fix available.
          etc.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by ModdIt.
          • This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by ModdIt.
          Anonymous

Distro “bloat” is extremely subjective.

In my mind, bloat means that the distro contains a lot of software the user isn’t going to use, but this opinion is always in the context of the user writing the review or making a comment. So, objectively, it’s extremely hard to classify what is bload exactly.

If I had to give an example of a distro with minimal bloat: it would be Artix Linux (Arch without systemd), oh, and probably void linux.
            They have the bare minimum packages installed, but contains no useful pieces of software, literally just a browser, file manager and usually the default stuff you get with the DE.

Bloat is anything from “unused” programs, libraries and drivers a given user “don’t need” to get their computer working and workflow going.

Anonymous

I love Antix. What I like most is the amount of cool apps that were pre-installed, stuff I have never heard of. Poor Man’s Radio Player is one of the, Amazing piece of software. Also, the ncurses/cli alternatives GUI apps. I love CLI apps.
              The different desktops are an awesome touch, it’s generally a pain to preconfigure these desktops from scratch, but here it’s already set up beautifully.

I also agree with the one statement where bloat is software that hogs resource – looking at the Window 😉 Antix is faaaar from bloat, it’s the most efficient distro out there, barely registers on the resource monitor. It is amazing to see.

AA BB

IMHO the meaning of “bloat” depends on who is using the term –one users’s “bloat” may be another user’s “must have”.

I think we should replace “bloat” with “non-essential” i.e if distroX does not need app xyz to function properly, app xyz is non-essential to distroX.

Using AntiX base as an example, if it runs after it is installed, the only non-essential apps are those window managers, file managers, browsers, file editors etc. an individual user can remove without breaking the system.

AntiX full on the other hand, contains lots of non-essential apps, but some AntiX users might prefer to keep some or all just “in-case” a need for them might arise in the future. It’s all a matter of individual preference.

This is what makes AntiX a great distro, it provides users the flexibility to install anywhere from a “lean and mean” base version to an “all bells and whistles” full version. Many distro only allow users to install one version over-loaded with non-essential apps like LibreOffice, Samba, GIMP, Numerous Conkies, Python version 2 and Python version 3, Numerous foreign language/Locale files, etc., etc.

If you don’t need it, why install it ? A great distro is one that allows you to only install those non-essentials that you need.

Brian Masinick

IMHO the meaning of “bloat” depends on who is using the term –one users’s “bloat” may be another user’s “must have”.

I think we should replace “bloat” with “non-essential” i.e if distroX does not need app xyz to function properly, app xyz is non-essential to distroX.

Using AntiX base as an example, if it runs after it is installed, the only non-essential apps are those window managers, file managers, browsers, file editors etc. an individual user can remove without breaking the system.

AntiX full on the other hand, contains lots of non-essential apps, but some AntiX users might prefer to keep some or all just “in-case” a need for them might arise in the future. It’s all a matter of individual preference.

This is what makes AntiX a great distro, it provides users the flexibility to install anywhere from a “lean and mean” base version to an “all bells and whistles” full version. Many distro only allow users to install one version over-loaded with non-essential apps like LibreOffice, Samba, GIMP, Numerous Conkies, Python version 2 and Python version 3, Numerous foreign language/Locale files, etc., etc.

If you don’t need it, why install it ? A great distro is one that allows you to only install those non-essentials that you need.

Very good comments. Most of the time I install one of the smaller versions of antiX; in the past it was almost always antiX Core; more recently it’s been antiX Base, primarily because I am generally starting on a wireless network and both Base and Full can start directly from USB and connect to a wireless network, while you need a wired network or a mechanical method of installing wireless network software from a media source, such as the network software packages and all the library software that supports the packaging.

--
                  Brian Masinick

punranger

A bloated distro to me is a distro that:

a) Tries to be everything to everyone.(E.g., includes every kind of software possible that any single kind of user is never going to use all of.)
                    b) Is weighed down by all kinds of processes stealing RAM.

antiX linux: The best way to revive an old computer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCTaUAP6sSg

PDP-8

Heh, ignore bloat comments since it is all relative.

It’s what almost drove Klaus Knopper to madness from endless user request, so you get the kitchen sink of 4gb or more. Although there is now a mini-cd, not just for booting but a slimmer version, in my mind that takes up valuable developer time trying to please everybody’s idea of what is or is not bloat.

Although seriously, one of the applications was a simple menu-appearance editing utility. Rather than actually physically remove programs, the main menus just no longer showed the things you aren’t interested in. Nice and slim now, out of sight out of mind. 🙂

Then there are dinosaurs like me who consider anything beyond xterm, twm window manager, and xclock bloat! 🙂 So it’s all relative. Don’t sweat it.

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.